024 crank bearings

stihlcuttin8989

OPE Member
Local time
6:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I’m rebuilding this 024 AVS, and I got the bearings in but now I’m worried I may have done it backwards. Anyone that knows or that can help I would greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_7073.jpeg
    IMG_7073.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7072.jpeg
    IMG_7072.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 23

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
7:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You did it backwards.

The PTO side bearing is installed with the extended lip outward and the plastic bearing retainer inside the case next to the crank. The extended lip is there to retain the seal, and the bearing gets its lubrication from the retained oil from the fuel mix in the case.

In addition, you need to install the oil pump to set the depth of the PTO bearing. I drop a room temp bearing into a hot case and it will bottom out on the oil pump. For the 1121 series, I use an old metal fixed output oil pump for this. The newer nylon 026 pumps can melt. AM 026 adjustable pumps are good to set depth as well.

The flywheel side position doesn’t really matter.

The issue you have is that it’s easy to ruin the installed bearing plastic with heat. Heat the case carefully and tap it out with a socket from the INSIDE OUT in your case. You don’t want to get that bearing retainer hot. If I am redoing a saw with new bearings (ie swapping a 12mm crank into a NIB 10mm 044) I actually go as far as removing the plastic cage and reassembling the bearing after it’s removed and cleaned.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hers a build I did on a MS460.
Different model obviously but bearing install will be the same. There should be pics showing that.

stihlcuttin8989

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You did it backwards.

The PTO side bearing is installed with the extended lip outward and the plastic bearing retainer inside the case next to the crank. The extended lip is there to retain the seal, and the bearing gets its lubrication from the retained oil from the fuel mix in the case.

In addition, you need to install the oil pump to set the depth of the PTO bearing. I drop a room temp bearing into a hot case and it will bottom out on the oil pump. For the 1121 series, I use an old metal fixed output oil pump for this. The newer nylon 026 pumps can melt. AM 026 adjustable pumps are good to set depth as well.

The flywheel side position doesn’t really matter.

The issue you have is that it’s easy to ruin the installed bearing plastic with heat. Heat the case carefully and tap it out with a socket from the INSIDE OUT in your case. You don’t want to get that bearing retainer hot. If I am redoing a saw with new bearings (ie swapping a 12mm crank into a NIB 10mm 044) I actually go as far as removing the plastic cage and reassembling the bearing after it’s removed and cleaned.
So I should heat the case attach the oil pump and drop the bearing in?

stihlcuttin8989

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well is the other side in correctly

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 6