Whats on the Grill or Smoker?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
2:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the freshest of dough. The lady made it in the morning. I have to get my temp control in check and preheat better.
Well really I said fresh, but that wasn’t a good choice of words. Make some dough and put it in an oiled bowl and cover. Then make your pizza next week.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you guys were gonna pick between an offset style smoker or one of those big green eggs, which way would you go? I have a gas grill for quick chops or burgers, I want something to do low/indirect heat for longer periods of time, ribs, shoulders, etc.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you guys were gonna pick between an offset style smoker or one of those big green eggs, which way would you go? I have a gas grill for quick chops or burgers, I want something to do low/indirect heat for longer periods of time, ribs, shoulders, etc.
I’ve never cooked on the offset style, but have eaten good food from em. I have a Saffire, which is identical to the egg and love it.

hope this helps, lol

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve never cooked on the offset style, but have eaten good food from em. I have a Saffire, which is identical to the egg and love it.

hope this helps, lol

It certainly looks like you get good use from it! Would you do an 8+ hour cook on yours? How many times would you have to change coals on a long cook like that? The Smoke thermometer I have can control a small fan to regulate coal temp Could you use that on your setup?

I hadn't really considered an Egg, but there's on local on marketplace pretty cheap.

ayoungtexan

I tell a lot of lies
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have an XL size big green egg. I’ve used it for burgers, ribs, pork, venison, steak, and chicken. I slow cook ribs for a 9 hour period at 225. It definitely does a good job for slow cooking

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It certainly looks like you get good use from it! Would you do an 8+ hour cook on yours? How many times would you have to change coals on a long cook like that? The Smoke thermometer I have can control a small fan to regulate coal temp Could you use that on your setup?

I hadn't really considered an Egg, but there's on local on marketplace pretty cheap.
I’ve cooked pork shoulder for 16 hours without adding any charcoal. I’ll put it on the night before and it usually holds within 5-10 degrees overnight after you get temp set.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll start with 3 chimney starters of charcoal on a long cook like that.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve cooked pork shoulder for 16 hours without adding any charcoal. I’ll put it on the night before and it usually holds within 5-10 degrees overnight after you get temp set.

Dang. That's cool.

LOMartin

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

16hours on the Weber!!!?

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) will get every bit of a 12-16 hr smoke with the right charcoal in the right outside temperature conditions. Not only will it do it...Weber has had a 24" 'egg-style' smoker called the Summit Charcoal for a couple of years now that will damn near smoke that long as well.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) will get every bit of a 12-16 hr smoke with the right charcoal in the right outside temperature conditions. Not only will it do it...Weber has had a 24" 'egg-style' smoker called the Summit Charcoal for a couple of years now that will damn near smoke that long as well.

Agreed. The way you station, use and start the charcoal has a lot to do with it.
As for the question: "which one would you buy -- the offset, ceramic, the kettle?" Those answers are gonna be pretty diverse.
I imagine that most of us would enjoy meat from all of them:D
To be truthful the best pig BBQ I've eaten was cooked in the ground.
I have a few cookers, and a gas grill. Each are used in the way that I enjoy the cooks.
I actually started cooking Boston butts on an ugly drum cooker made from an old oil drum.
Keep the pics coming guys! Yes, I am hungry. ;)

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Completely agree, I was just referring to my Weber performer, which is about clapped out. I mainly use the propane igniter to start the charcoal for my egg