Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
o
Water down the carb on a vehicle was a method used years ago in the days when cars used carbs to clear out carbon but I sure as hell wouldn't even think about that with a saw , some cars got bent conn rods from getting hydro locked doing this BTW.
What's all the concern about a bit of carbon build up in a cyl , geez you guys are becoming OCD , if it's running fine leave the damn thing alone !! :boxing:
But I can't! And Iam not sticking the garden hose down the carb.

This may be shocking to some, but a piston crown should have a layer of carbon on it.. If you are tuned right and using good oil the exhaust port will have minimal buildup and the muffler will be bone dry.
I sure as hell wouldn't pour water into the intake of a two cycle given the way the are lubricated. There is a huge differance between puting water into the intake of a four cycle or diesel and doing the same to a two cycle.

Yeah the I under stand there is supposed to be a layer of carbon but Iam talking about one others saws you get from God knows were and when you look down the hole the dryed up oil looks like shrimp skin

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally I've never seen a carboned up exhaust port on a chainsaw that I would call bad but that's just the few I've worked on.
Not saying It never happens on a chainsaw am sure it does as I've seen a few very badly carboned up exhaust ports in other types of industrial two strokes over the years.
This is what I would call a carboned up exhaust port (just some random pic off the net as an example but yeah its kind of carboned up whatever it is some part of a car engine). I've see way worse on 20-30+ year old two stroke machines almost completely closed off, funny thing is they still run not that great but run nevertheless :nusenuse:
Few min with a screwdriver busting out the old carbon and back to full power and repeat 20-30 years later kind of low maintenance really? look out! :roto2rie:.
egr-valve-blocked.jpg

Last edited:

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
o
But I can't! And Iam not sticking the garden hose down the carb.

Yeah the I under stand there is supposed to be a layer of carbon but Iam talking about one others saws you get from God knows were and when you look down the hole the dryed up oil looks like shrimp skin
Squire some Mercury Marine power tune or GM top cylinder cleaner in the plug hole. Let it sit a few days and then run the snot out of it for a few tanks.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Personally I've never seen a carboned up exhaust port on a chainsaw that I would call bad but that's just the few I've worked on.
Not saying It never happens on a chainsaw am sure it does as I've seen a few very badly carboned up exhaust ports in other types of industrial two strokes over the years.
This is what I would call a carboned up exhaust port (just some random pic off the net as an example but yeah its kind of carboned up whatever it is some part of a car engine). I've see way worse on 20-30+ year old two stroke machines almost completely closed off, funny thing is they still run not that great but run nevertheless :nusenuse:
Few min with a screwdriver busting out the old carbon and back to full power and repeat 20-30 years later kind of low maintenance really? look out! :roto2rie:.
View attachment 67994

That looks like an EGR which is a common issue with some cars . Old Chryslers used to completely carbon up the heat crossover in the intake manifold so the choke wouldn't come off .
That was one time consuming job cleaning those out !

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 67994
Ive seen trimmers and blowers with the exhaust port probably 50% reduction from factory because of carbon buildup.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Myself I see bad carbon in exhaust ports on things like slow revving two strokes mowers and the like not so much a tune problem more just age, wasn't that long ago you would see old guys still mowing there yard with the same two stroke Victa mower they bought in like the 1950's/60's...
Of course now with all the rubbish mowers from Chinese that have flooded into the country its like if it needs a plug meh throw it to the tip and buy new one lol...
4318c1f43416a67ad711f64fe0fa2e4e.jpg

damifino

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Myself I see bad carbon in exhaust ports on things like slow revving two strokes mowers and the like not so much a tune problem more just age, wasn't that long ago you would see old guys still mowing there yard with the same two stroke Victa mower they bought in like the 1950's/60's...
Of course now with all the rubbish mowers from Chinese that have flooded into the country its like if it needs a plug meh throw it to the tip and buy new one lol...
View attachment 68039

I love that mower rogue..... that is cool.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 67994
Looks more like a fuel load up carbon issue a flooding engine is worse than lots of oil or chitty oil

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 68039
I'd rock that mower

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meh is all good fun long as we all get enjoyment out what we ticker with is no rhyme nor reason just is that's life whatever gets you through it.
Anyways how cool do these things sound not to mention they go like the clappers! vintage machinery here worth a few bucks good to see they are still ridden,bring back the good days I say.

Last edited:

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Meh is all good fun long as we all get enjoyment out what we ticker with is no rhyme nor reason just is that's life whatever gets you through it.
Anyways how cool do these things sound not to mention they go like the clappers! vintage machinery here worth a few bucks good to see they are still ridden,bring back the good days I say.
WHAT ENGINE IN THAT?. Wish I had a kawi 750 tripple built up for hill climbs or a stock RZ 350 yamapopper

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE IN THAT?. Wish I had a kawi 750 tripple built up for hill climbs or a stock RZ 350 yamapopper
I had an RZ350 complete other Toomey pipes and Gorr cylinders. Loved that bike!
The Suzuki in the above post is powered by a 500cc V4 with 180-200 hp

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you move to Billings, bring your electric blanket. COLD AS HELL in the winter!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk