What oil is best? and what ratio?

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my dealer wont carry the 525 anymore to many coming back in from recoil starter problems.

Hmmm... My Husky /Shindaiwa / Echo dealer says it's the best trimmer they've ever made and helped sway my decision to purchase one. Mine has been bulletproof so far. I believe it has over 56 hours on it now. The city and county road crews run these trimmers 5 days a week 9 months out of the year.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've checked em all out and i like the SRM-2620

Make sure you get one of the new ones.

When the SRM-2620 was first introduced it had the hollow steel drive shaft. In December of 2016 ECHO made a running change to the flex cable. To identify units built with the flex cable the serial numbers will have a prefix of; T942, T943 and T944 or a date on the emission decal of Dec 2016 or later. Also another visual identifier out of box the trimmer heads will have a Black colored trimmer line. The changes were implemented to alleviate some vibration concerns some users were finding at certain RPM’s. So you want to check the serial number to tell whether you are getting a hollow steel drive shaft or flex shaft.

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Make sure you get one of the new ones.

When the SRM-2620 was first introduced it had the hollow steel drive shaft. In December of 2016 ECHO made a running change to the flex cable. To identify units built with the flex cable the serial numbers will have a prefix of; T942, T943 and T944 or a date on the emission decal of Dec 2016 or later. Also another visual identifier out of box the trimmer heads will have a Black colored trimmer line. The changes were implemented to alleviate some vibration concerns some users were finding at certain RPM’s. So you want to check the serial number to tell whether you are getting a hollow steel drive shaft or flex shaft.

They're gonna order me one when i go in so it should be a newer one i would assume.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They are all in a warehouse so it may or may not be a recent one depending on how fast they are turning over units , they will likely ship all the older stuff first before the new.....beware , Stihl did that too so assume nothing .

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
9:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My shinny dealer still has a bunch of old stock red armor if anybody wants it over the new label just let me know and I'll swipe it up. It's all 6.4 oz bottles.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
10:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quote:Viscosity is defined as a liquid's ability to resist motion or flow. Water has very low viscosity; molasses, very high. A fluid with higher viscosity creates a thicker film between parts and bears more pressure than a fluid with a low one, so in general it's better able to withstand pressure, though too thick a film can induce power-robbing friction

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its pretty simple. Heavier weight and more oil will create a better barrier for high temp high loads but in a normal OPE condition they will produce drag and especially at lower ratios. I agree with Ben that the higher viscosities r harder to combust in normal operating OPE

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put some Vp 40:1 in the 661 and fired it up. Probably needs more than 5 cuts to get calibrated better to the elevation and fuel here.
Mike Stihl Tech told me 90 on start, 90 on run, and then loaded cuts to recalibrate? Ive heard just 90 on start and then cut and then the way I just stated