What oil is best? and what ratio?

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
1:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sadly the ‘extreme duty’ testing isn’t of much use to me since I can’t actually see it. If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around, does it make a sound?.. is very similar to testing oils (or anything) without sharing results...if an oil is clearly best would anyone but the experimenter know? I’m not a pro at anything, so I’ll be fine doing what I was doing before oil wise, but mores the shame we can’t openly share potentially educational info on a public forum.
You can PM eggshooter to know more. He just dont want any more b!tching about his test.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No need. I can test my own oils
I think this pretty well sums it up. We all do what we feel is best.
I prefer to tune my saws a tad on the rich side.
Someone else may tune right on the edge. To each his own...
Our hard earned money.
BUT. We educate ourselves along the way.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sadly the ‘extreme duty’ testing isn’t of much use to me since I can’t actually see it. If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around, does it make a sound?.. is very similar to testing oils (or anything) without sharing results...if an oil is clearly best would anyone but the experimenter know? I’m not a pro at anything, so I’ll be fine doing what I was doing before oil wise, but mores the shame we can’t openly share potentially educational info on a public forum.
Another question. If a man is in the middle of the woods talking and no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another question. If a man is in the middle of the woods talking and no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Or this,
If a man is in the middle of the woods listening to his wife complain, all he has to do is move over to the middle of the next 40

John235

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m always playing catch up reading this thread. Can someone help me out, what happened to the egg shooter guy?

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
6:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@CR888 do you mind me asking what 2T you run? I feel i read Shell Advance somewhere.......a mate of mine has the Shell agency locally so Helix Ultra, Rimula (Rotella? US) and Advance be easy shopping through him for me for all my infernal combustion engines.
There is more than one Advance 2T is the problem.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@CR888 do you mind me asking what 2T you run? I feel i read Shell Advance somewhere.......a mate of mine has the Shell agency locally so Helix Ultra, Rimula (Rotella? US) and Advance be easy shopping through him for me for all my infernal combustion engines.
There is more than one Advance 2T is the problem.
Yeah hi there, have not been in the ol oil thread for a bit. Shell Advance comes in 3 2T oils SX, VSX & Ultra. Advance SX is mineral oil, VSX is synthetic based mineral blend & Ultra is full synthetic. I use SX & VSX. They both run well SX probably runs the best but you will see a little more carbon than the VSX. VSX is very clean but I'm talking a bit of build up on your exhaust port walls after that may need cleaning after say 150hrs of use with SX. IMG_20200623_013927_2.jpg

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I burned through a gallon of Kawasaki K-Tech 50:1 over the weekend with a backpack blower and two string trimmers. Very low smoke, almost no smell, cheap, and a nice blue color. I believe it's exactly the same as Citgo Air Cooled.
Screenshot_20200623-222136~2.png Screenshot_20200623-222156.png

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If a 660 was ran on Ultra @ 32to1 and tune rich and the air filter kept clean the oil will perform well and actually keep the piston/exhaust clean and the piston top will look alot like Amsoil Saber does with carbon on the crown. Problem is that the average operators cant tune, wont clean the filter, runs 50to1, runs a dull chain, etc. Therein lies the issues with most oils that WILL cause issues before other oils will. Different oils perform differently and as your test are showing that when one is pushed over the edge in undeseriable conditions , some do a better job than others. Most of us here that can tune, sharpen a chain, keep a clean filter, mix fuel correctly, can use most oils without issues IMO
I know you have a pretty strong dislike for ultra but that’s all the one tree service runs and hasn’t had any oil related issues. 50:1 with 91 e-free, he used to run orange bottle but had exhaust screen plugging issues. Now most screens is there have been changed to courser screen. My brother in law is big into rc planes and all the guys up here pretty much used Stihl ultra as the oil of choice. Maybe it’s the load that the 30-50cc plane engines make but they hold up much better with more hours between rebuilding on the ultra than a lot of other oils.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know you have a pretty strong dislike for ultra but that’s all the one tree service runs and hasn’t had any oil related issues. 50:1 with 91 e-free, he used to run orange bottle but had exhaust screen plugging issues. Now most screens is there have been changed to courser screen. My brother in law is big into rc planes and all the guys up here pretty much used Stihl ultra as the oil of choice. Maybe it’s the load that the 30-50cc plane engines make but they hold up much better with more hours between rebuilding on the ultra than a lot of other oils.
Im thinking its the smaller micron screen in the smaller cc engines that cause the problem more than the oil itself. Thats just my opinion. Once that screen plugs and is able to keep running without it completely plugging will lead to more carbon buildup in the exhaust port, ring lands, and excessive head buildup until it seizes or scrores the heck out of the exhaust piston skirt,ring/rings. Thats kinda what Im seeing.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally don’t use ultra anymore but was just stating what I’ve seen so far. Less screen plugging than the orange bottle and so far no oil related fails. Runs the same gas from a ms150 all the way up to the 064/500i

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually have had good luck with the no smoke two stroke and he was going to switch but he always buys the 2.5 gal mix bottles to avoid the crew having a mishap mixing 5 gallons at a time. The no smoke is only available locally in small gallon mix bottles or one gallon jugs.

Kerfed

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been using Shell Nautilus since March, which is rated for chainsaws, as I have a two stroke on my boat and go through a bunch of fuel. Probably run 1.5 gallons a week through my saws and a hell of a lot more through the 40hp Johnson. Anyone use it or pros/cons to multi rated mix oil?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it truly saw rated or a tcw 3 oil that they say can be used in saws? Should have an api tc, jasco or iso rated for saws

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl says no tcw3 but also lots of people running shafers with good luck and not sure that isn’t a multi purpose. Also dads Stihl 026 ran plenty of havoline tcw3 with 87 octane and it’s still going never been rebuilt