huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
5:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why would I do that? Theres plenty of FD rated aircooled oil?
And you run that at 25:1 correct?

I thought we had gotten over this by adopting a "use what works for you" philosophy. Guys with real knowledge don't come into these threads and share because they get hammered for sanding against the grain, even though it works for them

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Correct Kev

I know a bunch of guys that swear by Lucas

I respect them and their opinions, but I won’t use Lucas again for mix in muh stuff, even if you paid me

I am on the verge of ordering the 12 qts of that Schaeffer 9000 stuff though .............. :facepalm:

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
4:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And you run that at 25:1 correct?

I thought we had gotten over this by adopting a "use what works for you" philosophy. Guys with real knowledge don't come into these threads and share because they get hammered for sanding against the grain, even though it works for them
Define real knowledge?

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Correct Kev

I know a bunch of guys that swear by Lucas

I respect them and their opinions, but I won’t use Lucas again for mix in muh stuff, even if you paid me

I am on the verge of ordering the 12 qts of that Schaeffer 9000 stuff though .............. :facepalm:
I like the blends. In my mind's eye, I never had problems before full synthetics became popular. By using a semi or blend, I feel I'm getting the best of both. It has some dino oil left in it, so I sleep better thinking that corrosion in both the carb and case have been lessened. Thats how I see it anyway.

I still have a gallon of Lucas too. Maybe I'll use it in the weed wacker

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Define real knowledge?
Wasn't directed at you. I know you pull stuff down all the time and inspect the insides. My point is, why beat up on an oil until it's been justified? Many guys use ultra and swear by it, while your experience is the opposite

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wasn't directed at you. I know you pull stuff down all the time and inspect the insides. My point is, why beat up on an oil until it's been justified? Many guys use ultra and swear by it, while your experience is the opposite
In my eyes Kevin I wont waste time even considering a oil that incorrect for the application as Ben has stated the pitfall for using the incorrect oils. I know Scott sells Schaffers and I respect their experience and expertise and have never disrespected he or Julians opinions or observations and never will. On the otherhand Id be much more convinced to see a saw internally thats been ran for about 100 gallons in a saw with tcw3 but until then I personally wouldnt trust it but everyone is free to do as they choose. I just cant see it as being a very smart decision but thats just my opinion

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my eyes Kevin I wont waste time even considering a oil that incorrect for the application as Ben has stated the pitfall for using the incorrect oils. I know Scott sells Schaffers and I respect their experience and expertise and have never disrespected he or Julians opinions or observations and never will. On the otherhand Id be much more convinced to see a saw internally thats been ran for about 100 gallons in a saw with tcw3 but until then I personally wouldnt trust it but everyone is free to do as they choose. I just cant see it as being a very smart decision but thats just my opinion
I've shown pics of a 1988 jred 625 with a lot of time on it that was run on orange bottle for 15 years and boat oil for 10 more. Bearings and crown were charcoal black. Rings were worn out. It actually reminded me of the pics from guys running Lucas. Gave the cylinder and piston away in the Christmas thread last year.

I'm not promoting using any tcw3. But the stuff Scott uses just plain works. I've seen the 044 he talks about and it's beat to hell, but the piston and cylinder look good.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've shown pics of a 1988 jred 625 with a lot of time on it that was run on orange bottle for 15 years and boat oil for 10 more. Bearings and crown were charcoal black. Rings were worn out. It actually reminded me of the pics from guys running Lucas. Gave the cylinder and piston away in the Christmas thread last year.

I'm not promoting using any tcw3. But the stuff Scott uses just plain works. I've seen the 044 he talks about and it's beat to hell, but the piston and cylinder look good.
Wonder what the internals would have looked like if ran on a full synthetic with cleaning detergeants in it? Maybe it would have been clean and the ring still sealing and in good shape?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonder what the internals would have looked like if ran on a full synthetic with cleaning detergeants in it? Maybe it would have been clean and the ring still sealing and in good shape?
The world will never know. After that many years though. Ain’t a whole lot bad could be said though. I’d love to see what my 55 looks like in there. Been just any ol oil for Christ knows how long. Hate to death to take any screws out though. Them *b-wordes may rattle loose if I break that seal. But still runnin good for over 15 years on all kinda old oils that were given to me when I used to hustle firewood heavy. Even if she lets go tomorrow I don’t know if I could blame oil or anything really. I’ve honestly never even adjusted the tune on that one. 32.1 50.1. Doesn’t seem to change anything. ?? It did dislike the klotz benol Night coulda changed tune to help a lil there

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The world will never know. After that many years though. Ain’t a whole lot bad could be said though. I’d love to see what my 55 looks like in there. Been just any ol oil for Christ knows how long. Hate to death to take any screws out though. Them *b-wordes may rattle loose if I break that seal. But still runnin good for over 15 years on all kinda old oils that were given to me when I used to hustle firewood heavy. Even if she lets go tomorrow I don’t know if I could blame oil or anything really. I’ve honestly never even adjusted the tune on that one. 32.1 50.1. Doesn’t seem to change anything. ?? It did dislike the klotz benol Night coulda changed tune to help a lil there
My point was if a paticular oil would make a piece of equipment last 10 more years why not use it? Ive seen what Stihl Ultra does to smaller cc handhelds in my shop daily and its a damn mess!! The larger cc saws not near as bad on Ultra from what Ive seen but one thing is for sure from what my observation has been in a whole lot of equipment is Stihl couldnt give me a semi rig trailer full of it for free much less pay for it!:eek::D

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My point was if a paticular oil would make a piece of equipment last 10 more years why not use it? Ive seen what Stihl Ultra does to smaller cc handhelds in my shop daily and its a damn mess!! The larger cc saws not near as bad on Ultra from what Ive seen but one thing is for sure from what my observation has been in a whole lot of equipment is Stihl couldnt give me a semi rig trailer full of it for free much less pay for it!:eek::D
I don’t love it either. I have used it. It’s expensive. It’s fumes mess with my head. Likely nothin special in it. Plus it says stihl on it. Makes my huskies *s-word themselves