Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
6:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, money is always an issue, isn't it for everyone else too? I hope I'm not the only poor bastard here lol. BUT, as I said before, I am willing to spend the money if the tool justifies it, as I am saving so much by burning wood. Also, I have had my 290 for 8 years now, and it is mint. In absolutely brand new condition. I have to imagine if I get a new pro series saw now, I will have it for 20 years easily.

SO, is HP the only reason you recommend a 462 over a 362? Or is this another reason?

When comparing prices, figure of the two the 362 is the most likely one you would spend the extra money on to get ported for more power, the 462 you could be happy with as is.

FordTruckMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
When comparing prices, figure of the two the 362 is the most likely one you would spend the extra money on to get ported for more power, the 462 you could be happy with as is.

That sounds like something I would tell my wife...then I would buy the 462 and a month later send it off to be built LOL! I have a feeling that once I run my 661 ported...it's going to be intoxicating. That's how I ended up with a turbocharger on my trail rig hahaha!

In all seriousness though, the 362 is a little lighter, and retail is about $400 less than the 462. At least, from what I could find online. I haven't gotten pricing from my dealer yet. But, it looks like there may be a few technology updates on the 462 from a few video comparisons I have seen. I am currently looking for some reviews on the AV of the two.

I also started looking at the husky 572, I have to say, that thing is heavy compared to the two stihls I am considering. I haven't found any pricing yet on those...I really wish I had somewhere around here to demo some saws. That would make this process easier I think.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Buy once, cry once.

If you buy stuff all around what you actually want, it will cost you more as you will end up buying what you wanted to begin with down the road anyway.

Ask me how I know...

When I was a kid my Father told me to never spend good money after bad. I figured it out when I got older fairly fast.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is who did my MS 660 and now it flat out SCREAMS!
Highly recommended!

Steve "Stump Shot"
1377.jpg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep a 7900 steps all over a 462 lol, but it should it’s got quite a advantage in displacement in all fairness. Heck... my stock 7301 was as fast as my muffler modded 572, that impressed me. The most impressive part to me is how a good one of these dolkitas is still competitive in its class for a 20 year old design.

It's remarkable how most of the Dolkita line is still the first post Sachs-Dolmar generation with some mild updates here and there, yet they keep holding their own against Stihl and Husky's latest and greatest.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In hand your MS290, the MS362, and an MS462 are going to feel very similar. Not much difference in weight, physical size, or handling. If you send your 290 down the road it will make up a big part of the difference between the 362 and 462. Truthfully, if you have two saws that feel the same but one is much faster and smoother that's the one you're gonna use.

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 290. With a muffler mod and a good chain it was a good saw. Cut a lot of wood with it. I wanted something I could lean on a little more so I bought a 441 mtronic. When the 462 came out I wanted one for no other reason than I just wanted it. Looking at the weight the 462 isn't much heavier than the 290 and it's a fair bit lighter than the 441 so I knew the 290 wouldn't be getting much love. I sold the 290 and traded the 441 and some cash for a 462. Overall I'm pleased with the way it runs. I pulled the screen in the muffler and I plan on doing a timing advance in the near future. I mostly run 20"-25" bars.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had a 290. With a muffler mod and a good chain it was a good saw. Cut a lot of wood with it. I wanted something I could lean on a little more so I bought a 441 mtronic. When the 462 came out I wanted one for no other reason than I just wanted it. Looking at the weight the 462 isn't much heavier than the 290 and it's a fair bit lighter than the 441 so I knew the 290 wouldn't be getting much love. I sold the 290 and traded the 441 and some cash for a 462. Overall I'm pleased with the way it runs. I pulled the screen in the muffler and I plan on doing a timing advance in the near future. I mostly run 20"-25" bars.

Until I was about 12, Dad's only saw was my Grandfather's old McCulloch 35. The he broke down and bought an 039 and I thought I had a Ferrari or Porsche in my hands. The I experienced other things and found A.S. The 039 accounted for roughly 70-80 cods of wood, before it was subjected to a truck fire, otherwise we'd still have it. Hell, after 40-50 cords of wood, I timidly set out to muffler mod, carb mod and advance the timing, and then it really came to life!!! It was a great saw for what we needed at the time. Since then, we've found better ones, and been blessed with the ability to get them (largely). Buy the best tool you can afford, and then take care of it like your life depends on it!

Fixed it for you.;)
Also some favorites of mine. Unfortunately I have too' many favorites that go bang!!!

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are some great deals on ported saws in the classified ads on here, and most of the time your going to get an above average saw! Lots of saws that are basically brand new and your getting a free port job in most cases, some great deals! You can’t have too many saws! Lol

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My favorite firewood saw at the moment is an 084 with a 44 inch bar. I was cutting huge old growth pine on Saturday and had to cut from both sides. The MS661 with a 24 inch bar is my 'small' saw for this size wood. I've also got a MS261, MS441, MS660, 064.........etc.20191028_122947.jpg
20191028_121331.jpg

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My favorite firewood saw at the moment is an 084 with a 44 inch bar. I was cutting huge old growth pine on Saturday and had to cut from both sides.

Oh Gawd, that hurts my back just reading it.

I think I may give my 77cc saw with the 24" bar to the Fire Brigade. The bloody thing can cut big enough rounds that my old bones have a hard time wrestling with them. - 40" Ozzie hardwood rounds are not in my future.

FordTruckMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There are some great deals on ported saws in the classified ads on here, and most of the time your going to get an above average saw! Lots of saws that are basically brand new and your getting a free port job in most cases, some great deals! You can’t have too many saws! Lol

Now you tell me! lol thanks for the tip, I will check this out. I am supposed to be getting a price from my buddy today on a 462, his family runs the local Stihl dealership, so I get pretty fair pricing on items.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
LOL. You guys...

So far I am leaning towards a new 60cc saw with good AV and get it worked over. The 290 is great, and I think I will keep it, but I want something better in basically every way.

Regarding the AV thing, I have bilateral carpal AND cubital tunnel syndrome, as well as a screwed up C6-C7 that causes immense pain in my arms when handling vibrating power tools. String trimmers, hammer drills, push mowers, CHAINSAWS...they all kill me. But they are a necessity for my lifestyle, so I do my best to cope. Having a new saw with better AV than my 290 would be wonderful.

If I stayed with Stihl, I was looking at the MS362, but unsure whether I should get it with the classic carb or with the M-tronic...thoughts there? I have hard more trouble with my 661 with the electronic crap than the standard carb on my 290, but maybe it has improved since the 2015 models?

Thanks again everyone for all of the input so far.

Ignition advance and mufmod then....Sell the 290 pronto!!!
You will not want to use that brick when you get something smoother like your 661.
362 version one or two or Mtron. Add a 460 HO pump for the 28" 91dl when needed. All your existing hardware like bars and chains fit right on the the 3003 mount.
462 if you will be pulling the 24-28 often. If not port the 3 series and never look back. My 361's are just as smooth as the 362 with a little "trick" most don't like but I do. Bad parts and I'm all rebuilt :D
Money wise it's hard to beat the Dolkitas but you will need bar adapters. no big deal there imo.
Huskys maybe but not likely if you want to have local dealer support with parts in stock.

This is Stihl country here....no getting around that fact here.

They've pretty much got the mtron figured out now.

If money isn't an issue, get a 462. If it is, get a 362 "and have it ported and HO pumped" if you'd like to stay with Stihl
:sisi3: