Ultimate "Firewood" Saw

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
6:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In an effort to keep this post from being three pages long, here is the bare bones. I have two saws, neither do quite what I want, and I am considering buying a 3rd saw.

I have two totally stock Stihls, an MS290 with a 20" bar, and an MS661-CM with a 36" bar. I use these saws solely for firewood to heat my house, which can include felling smallish trees (18-24") and bucking as big as 50".

The 290 is dead reliable but underpowered. The 661 is not so reliable (won't hot start sometimes) and underpowered for the size bar I am running. I am open to basically ANY solution to get a saw(s) that perform "well" in all hardwoods up to 50" diameter.

One consideration I had was putting a smaller bar on the 661 and using it for my primary bucking saw, and getting a larger, or highly modified saw to run the 36" bar. Is that nuts?

Then I saw there is a "new" 462 that weighs exactly the same as my 290...but has nearly double the power. That sounds too good to be true.

Things that are important to me, in order, are:
Reliability!
Torque
Antivibe stuff...I have nerve problems.

I don't have any preconceived notions about much of anything, I am too green. I have no brand loyalty, but do have access to a Stihl dealer that gives very decent pricing. I have been doing the firewood thing since 2011, but thats all the experience I have. Please feel free to enlighten me if I do not seem to grasp something, I am not very well versed in this stuff. I am also happy to share more information, I just wanted to keep this short for you guys.

Thanks in advance,

FTM

MS461R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought you had everyone else cut your firewood for this winter already.

I give all those cookies away to my neighbors they want em. I don't like messing with them. They don't burn all that well, and they're messy.

I did buck up the stuff that was leftover though.

20191015_132402.jpg

FordTruckMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So in a crazy turn of events, I managed to snag more than a full log truck load of premium timbers that were headed to a scragg mill, all 20-ish" diameter or less. Rough estimate is a solid 8-9 cords. I normally scavenge all of my firewood, but in doing so, at a property being logged down the gravel road a piece, I got to talking with the owner and he hooked me up good.

So now, I won't be needing my 36" bar too much for a few years. I'm still getting it ported though, so it makes me wonder if I should just get a shorter bar for it and do some pushups lol. The 661 weighs 16.3 lbs and the 462 weighs 13.0 lbs, power head only obviously. 3.3 lbs is a big difference to cut with all day, but it's all going to be easy cutting on straight-ish timbers.

So the question I suppose, is what size bar would balance the best on the 661? It's really nose heavy with the 36" bar, but I feel like a 20" bar would just look plain silly on a 661?? Has anybody run shorter bars that can comment on the balance? Would a 25" bar be just right?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Look silly....weight helps bucking.

My 066 is wearing a 24" now for bucking 32" red oak logs. It cooks! 8 pin wanting a 9

jk14

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So in a crazy turn of events, I managed to snag more than a full log truck load of premium timbers that were headed to a scragg mill, all 20-ish" diameter or less. Rough estimate is a solid 8-9 cords. I normally scavenge all of my firewood, but in doing so, at a property being logged down the gravel road a piece, I got to talking with the owner and he hooked me up good.

So now, I won't be needing my 36" bar too much for a few years. I'm still getting it ported though, so it makes me wonder if I should just get a shorter bar for it and do some pushups lol. The 661 weighs 16.3 lbs and the 462 weighs 13.0 lbs, power head only obviously. 3.3 lbs is a big difference to cut with all day, but it's all going to be easy cutting on straight-ish timbers.

So the question I suppose, is what size bar would balance the best on the 661? It's really nose heavy with the 36" bar, but I feel like a 20" bar would just look plain silly on a 661?? Has anybody run shorter bars that can comment on the balance? Would a 25" bar be just right?

25" ES or 28" ES Light, feels right to me on a 661 for bucking firewood

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have both a 24” es light in .404 and a 32” es light in .404 for my 661. I’ve been wondering why I even have my 462.

I’ve barely used the 462 since I got it. It’s a great saw, light and powerful but I really like the 661 after Kevin built it. I reach for that more often than not.

FordTruckMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have both a 24” es light in .404 and a 32” es light in .404 for my 661. I’ve been wondering why I even have my 462.

I’ve barely used the 462 since I got it. It’s a great saw, light and powerful but I really like the 661 after Kevin built it. I reach for that more often than not.

So then what your saying is you would like to just send your 462 to me since you aren't using it anymore? LOL!

I have never run a .404, I will have to research this a bit.

Thanks for the responses guys, looks like maybe I can get away with not buying a new saw?? Worst case I end up with a spare bar for the 661.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So then what your saying is you would like to just send your 462 to me since you aren't using it anymore? LOL!

I have never run a .404, I will have to research this a bit.

Thanks for the responses guys, looks like maybe I can get away with not buying a new saw?? Worst case I end up with a spare bar for the 661.
Dude....its all about what you want. You need more trigger time on more saws :sisi3:

Edit: 404:coleman:

FordTruckMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Dude....its all about what you want. You need more trigger time on more saws :sisi3:

Edit: 404:coleman:

lol, I did admit I was green at the beginning of this thread. I agree I need more time with the saws, and hopefully now that I am a member of this forum I will continue to learn at a slightly faster rate than the last 8 years lol.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
25" ES or 28" ES Light, feels right to me on a 661 for bucking firewood
That sounds right. For comparison, a 25" ES bar is slightly nose-heavy on my ms460.
To the OP: There's over 120 dead oaks on our neighboring 75 acres and I'll be doing my share of the cutting, all of which will end up in the neighbor's firewood processor. If I had your rig, I'd run a 28" ES Light on the 661 (stock) for felling & bucking and sell the 36" bar and the ms290. Resize the full comp chain for the 28" bar w/ 7-pin sprocket; not sure anyone wants to sharpen that many cutters on a 36" bar. For limbing & smaller wood, I've found an ms261 to be efficient and quick to sharpen. That's just me; lots of folks prefer the power of a ported 661.

Last edited: