Longest bar on a ported 346/350?

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find myself needing/wanting a longer bar on my ported 350. It has an 18" bar on it now and it's too short for some of the cutting I do. The oiler is already modified, and I can mod it more if needed. I am running .325 chain and would like to go to a 24/28" bar. Cannon makes the super and supermini in those sizes. I can bury the 18" bar in any local hardwood (oak, elm, locust, hickory, etc...) and the saw doesn't care, even with lower depth gauges.

I use the saw for everything, since it cuts so well. It's my go-to saw for felling/limbing, bucking, but the bar is too short for noodling unless I cut the rounds shorter. It's also a pain to limb on the ground with the short bar.

Does anyone run a longer bar on a ported 50cc saw? How does it do?

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not positive, but I remember someone running a 24" or 28" on one. And seem to recall them having to modify the oil pump as you did. Still seemed like it could have used more oil but it was already sucking the oil tank dry before it ran out of fuel.

Just something to keep an eye on.

Steven

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The oil tank is pretty small on these. I still have plenty of oil left when gassing up, but I wouldn't want to run out of oil before gas for sure, especially on an expensive bar/chain. I'll top off both tanks right to the brim and see how much oil is left after a tank of gas. I'm gonna need a pile of wood to cut, because it seems to run forever on a tank.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
4:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The oil tank is pretty small on these. I still have plenty of oil left when gassing up, but I wouldn't want to run out of oil before gas for sure, especially on an expensive bar/chain. I'll top off both tanks right to the brim and see how much oil is left after a tank of gas. I'm gonna need a pile of wood to cut, because it seems to run forever on a tank.
https://opeforum.com/threads/husqvarna-oiler-mod.518/

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not positive, but I remember someone running a 24" or 28" on one. And seem to recall them having to modify the oil pump as you did. Still seemed like it could have used more oil but it was already sucking the oil tank dry before it ran out of fuel.

Just something to keep an eye on.

Steven
Simple way to manage this kind of situation is to not fill the gas tank....start with a 1/2 tank and see how much oil you have left and then figure out how much gas you need for every tank of oil.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
4:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only issue you may run into is finding a .325 chain longer than 81 DL, will probably have to be cut from a roll. Rotary actually makes .325 skip but it can be tough to find.