Trying to Help a Friend

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. He is supposed to make an account here for info. He is not mechanically inclined at all. The Stihl dealer is a local hardware store and the owners son works at UPS as well as the hardware store. He can supposedly get a better deal than what is advertised. I mentioned at least going to the 290/291 size saw.
My local farmers co op is an Echo dealer and had a 590 for demo a while back. I will see if I can borrow it to let him try it. I have been impressed with the top handled Echo we bought. I just don't like the metal toggle switch, we have all been bit by one of those at some point!

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
1:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. He is supposed to make an account here for info. He is not mechanically inclined at all. The Stihl dealer is a local hardware store and the owners son works at UPS as well as the hardware store. He can supposedly get a better deal than what is advertised. I mentioned at least going to the 290/291 size saw.
My local farmers co op is an Echo dealer and had a 590 for demo a while back. I will see if I can borrow it to let him try it. I have been impressed with the top handled Echo we bought. I just don't like the metal toggle switch, we have all been bit by one of those at some point!

Better a separate metal toggle than an integrated plastic kill/choke lever, tensioned by a flimsy flat spring.....

Edit: Let me also add, that comparing a 590 to a 291 may not be apples vs. oranges, but apples vs. crabapples.

60cc mag cased, adjustable oiler, great warranty, 3/8 chain, $399.99

55.5cc plastic clamshell, one year warranty, 325 chain, $449.99

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He is a great guy, but if he does make it on here, his wife will hunt you all down. I joke with him that he has that "brown" money from UPS. He is the type that will spend a fortune on piece of crap if enough people tell him he needs it. I give him heck about it too.

For instance:
He was in the market for a small tractor to bushhog with and plant a few food plots. He kept pricing new 4x4 sub-compacts that were in my opinion too small for the job. My technician had a small JD 2040 2wd with older for a song. He used to work for Deere as a mechanic and just did a complete rebuild on the tractor. Instead of buying it, he bought a new John Deere (against my recommendation) and let's say he has used the warranty A LOT! Down side is the local dealer is folding up because they got bought out by a BIG dealer.

Now, back to the problem at hand. He usually buys a big name product but will buy the cheaper version. He first wanted a saw around that size with the quick tensioner. I asked him if he wanted to just go get a battery powered saw while he was at it.

I ran into the manager of the co op on the way home today and he said it wasn't a problem to borrow a Echo 490 or 590 from them. They had about every model they stock in a demo unit. In other words, he has took one home and ran it himself when he neede a saw, lol!

Hopefully he will join in and we can all talk him into a JMS ported saw. I think there may be a few on the market soon.