Trees you've cut

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Local time
10:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This climbing business is a whole new game. I'm looking at trees with felling them in mind which leads me to completely underestimate how much more difficult they are going to be to climb.
This spruce had to be topped. My original plan was to climb to the top, throw a pull rope down to the groundman and then cut it down in two sections. We couldn't get the rope to the ground for love not money, the branches of the tree were just too thick. The bottom branches were fourty feet long. I then started chunking the tree down but nothing I cut reached the ground, everything got caught in branches and sat there. Ended up cutting off all the branches above where I intended to top the tree then climbing back up to the top, setting a rope, coming down and limbwalking out to free out all the stuff I cut. Any tips as to what to do in a similar situation again?

IMG_20240303_164916.jpgIMG_20240304_162546.jpg

Also, here's a picture of my hands after climbing that dirty bastard. Sticky business.

IMG_20240304_173721.jpg

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
2:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
wussat banger?
You've swung it before, told me it was loose too as I recall. Just a no-name ~4lb Dayton head on a 28" straight haft. It's my test-dummy with the electrical tape palm swell. I've wished for a heavier one a few times, but at least 90% of the time it's been a darn good whacker.
IMG_0335.JPG

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Woodslasher I disremember. Gettin old I reckon. Looks like a decent poll. Hate to see more dead trees on your place.

My Japanese splitter gained about 3lb today. Not finished yet.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s very common in my area unfortunately. Guys start into a tree and then think it’s too big/sketchy so they walk away. I find it a lot in trees I’ve went back to lower the stump in spring after the snow melts
Still not as wild as this roadside Ash that someone notched and walked away from.

1000002744.jpg

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
4:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still not as wild as this roadside Ash that someone notched and walked away from.

View attachment 412021
Unless someone started a back cut, or plunged the heartwood out, that tree will stand for a long, long time. Looks worse than it is IMO. Still bad practice and I dislike when people do this as well.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless someone started a back cut, or plunged the heartwood out, that tree will stand for a long, long time. Looks worse than it is IMO. Still bad practice and I dislike when people do this as well.
There's just no reason or logic behind harming a tree like that. Cut it down or don't touch it.

We have a few species around here that make burls, which are common targets for poachers and can bring big dollars. You'll see it every now and again, weird chunks missing out of trees.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
4:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's just no reason or logic behind harming a tree like that. Cut it down or don't touch it.
Agreed.
We have a few species around here that make burls, which are common targets for poachers and can bring big dollars. You'll see it every now and again, weird chunks missing out of trees.
I’ve heard of that.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The man who did that is just a Dall with a chainsaw. He has no certificates, training or insurance. If a certified, trained and insured timber cutter like me done that I would lose my certs, insurance and reputation. But this bollocks doesn't give two *f-words. And he's getting paid in timber. Dickheahds like him put the likes of me out of business.