Trees you've cut

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Possibly, I haven't had time to check it out, just grabbed another saw and kept cutting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
On the plus side, my 346xp and tecomec 365 ,both I ported myself ran very well. Super happy with that.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
1:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 208360
Yes sir. That’s what I tried to do. I’ve been successful w that before. Saw clearly wasn’t level I was rusty. First big tree I’ve cut since last winter.
Main thing is you cut around your sap wood 100% until it went to rot then broke. That's pro and that will keep you alive.
One of the safety rules under BC Fallers program is don't fall trees into standing timber (objects basically). If you break that rule as in 'overcoming a falling difficulty' then the step may jam the tree from coming back at you. Then you have 'looking up and egressing back far enough. (to name a few) So if you unintentionally brushed a tree badly then they want you to fall it immediatley. One rule just backs up another which backs up another... (most of this has been in industry forever)
So if you are falling to an opening then the tree will remain in forward motion so the step doesn't come into play as a safety feature under this circumstance.
Uneven back cut goes together with intact holding wood and working from the high side.
Again you rationalize if you have to but always know ALL of them through and through in an organized priority order. All three mentioned as important tequeques to being safe but angled back cut and cutting far side corner are unlikely to get you if you are on the high side and the tree is pulling down with no trees to fall into. The importance will change as the circumstance does. Generally the ones in the highest propriety are the ones everyone has the most control to correct, if we think about it?
In your situation then it just pure vanity.
You did the most important thing.

"Leveling" the saw is a muscle memory.
Cutting Timber is a muscle memory.
It's way more a feel than a 'visual'
I have a much better chance of falling a 6' tree on a steep mountain side blindfolded than most people on here would even know how to fall.
That's only because that kind of falling taught me how to tap into the different sences.
You come so far and then you come to realize it's your eye sight that is getting in your way.
I have often said, If I could learn more, it would be through a blind man.

If I'm cutting a 45" undercut with a 36" bar then I can not see exactly when the cuts will marry up as I would with smaller cuts. I can only feel it when I put the bar back in the top as to which one needs a little more. Sometimes I go back and forth a few times in a tense rigit stance to get the answer.
To finish the far 8 - 10" or whatever then
I just dog in and cut most down so it's somewhat even but yet a little high on the flat cut and run my tip down on a steady angle as a bumper that pushes up my left palms. Level out a few inches and then run your tip again until it pushes up on the next high spot. That kinda thing.
If you have been doing that kind of Falling for a while then I feel like I'm cheating if I'm in a situation where I can work the undercut from both sides. Just a personal little hang up that would go away quick.

1577186918244-1465695567.pngHere's an up hill leaner That was fell through the intended hole to the right. I didn't notice the rot from a small undercut. Perfectly green with no heart rot conks. It had the split that heeled together but oxygen exchange prompts rot.
I cut from lookers veiw (hikers veiw)
I dogged in the back and then would have dogged in the mouth and pulled but as I was adjusting on the fly coming around the back when I realized what was going on. I just laid the pressure on until it started to fold and got outta Dodge.

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And I'm pretty sure I smoked my 372xp. Was cutting with it when all of a sudden ,wide open throttle with no response, had to shut it down with switch.
90fb7abd076d00a54d50d7b71bb79942.jpg
c57ea688597e0ace6ecd4e5436fd93a0.jpg
Doesn't look so cold in a t-shirt? If it's not a frozen carb or frozen vent then
Its a plugged vent from sitting. Does it have the tube and the 90° green fitting coming off the tank?
I get a problem with those in the first month sitting between shifts. If that's the case then it should start up now again or had you opened the gas cap slightly as it was running. If it starts up fine then pull the fitting and blow the crap out of the vent. I don't use the line or the fitting and don't get that problem, not to mention they always fall out and jam before long.
They self clean that way but are more prone to freezing in the winter. Air box vent is best for that

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn't look so cold in a t-shirt? If it's not a frozen carb or frozen vent then
Its a plugged vent from sitting. Does it have the tube and the 90° green fitting coming off the tank?
I get a problem with those in the first month sitting between shifts. If that's the case then it should start up now again or had you opened the gas cap slightly as it was running. If it starts up fine then pull the fitting and blow the crap out of the vent. I don't use the line or the fitting and don't get that problem, not to mention they always fall out and jam before long.
They self clean that way but are more prone to freezing in the winter. Air box vent is best for that
All mine are routed to the airbox with the little echo vents. It starts right back up, but goes straight to wide open throttle, and the linkage and all is working properly. I'm just guessing an airleak has developed. Lol and yes we were in tshirts, was rather warm in Tennessee yesterday, got up to 65 iirc

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All mine are routed to the airbox with the little echo vents.

Nice touch!!! The only way to fly.
Did you do that?

It starts right back up, but goes straight to wide open throttle, and the linkage and all is working properly. I'm just guessing an airleak has developed. Lol and yes we were in tshirts, was rather warm in Tennessee yesterday, got up to 65
If it starts and goes straight to wide open and it's not your cable frozen or what not, then it sounds like the cylinder could have lifted.
I had a rip in the intake boot big enough to put my index finger in to the second knuckle (I would find out later) and it would run away on the revs on the high side. I couldn't control it on the high so I fattened it up a whole lot on the low and went Falling for two weeks. A lot of 3.5 to 4.5ft maple and cotton. Even up to 5.5ft cotton
Lucky it was machine assist (excavator) on property development as I didn't have to brush out of limb or buck. It was all undercut/ back cut. The saw was random stroking but cut great once the dogs where in. That was AM 52mm.
Probably about 2 day away from jamming the ring lands and taking the piston out when I got to it. Thing was a mess.

65 f is really warm.
I was looking yesterday to Spain for a week . Have time off to the 2nd.
Think I'll take time off in Feb to go.

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
More of that BS blow down and cull up the Nass valley,, south of the Portland Cannel. BC
North side is Alaska

It's one of two ( @mdavlee ) Michael Lee's sick saws. 51.4 mm.
One I figured I ran at 16 grand and the sportier one close at 17 g for whatever was in front of me.
They sucked down quick into the torque but the brush and saplings just ducked out of the way.
They will give one mean boot out of the bind especially in the loaded small dia with the revs up and you pull back at the same time. I always just let the saw fly up in the air off my right side if the power head is pointing up as a 20 lb built shoots at me. I do thoroughly enjoy the extreme and I feel I can handle it but the odd time it can 'one up you ,whether or not you been there 1000 times or not. I get off on that too.

One of his saws,
I did a full 360° on a steep hill and stabilized myself falling on the log I was cutting by holding myself up firm off the belly of the saw with firm grips on of the saw. I was 15ft down the same log on the left side as to where it shot me out. Think It was a tight back side bottom bind as I pulled back hard in a 8-10" tree in full rev.

1577186991215976140928.png

Last edited:

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you do that?

If it starts and goes straight to wide open and it's not your cable frozen or what not, then it sounds like the cylinder could have lifted.
I had a rip in the intake boot big enough to put my index finger in to the second knuckle (I would find out later) and it would run away on the revs on the high side. I couldn't control it on the high so I fattened it up a whole lot on the low and went Falling for two weeks. A lot of 3.5 to 4.5ft maple and cotton. Even up to 5.5ft cotton
Lucky it was machine assist (excavator) on property development as I didn't have to brush out of limb or buck. It was all undercut/ back cut. The saw was random stroking but cut great once the dogs where in. That was AM 52mm.
Probably about 2 day away from jamming the ring lands and taking the piston out when I got to it. Thing was a mess.

65 f is really warm.
Yes I did the tank vents myself, I do everything on my saws lol. Anything is possible, I want be able to check it out for a little while now, but ill post what I find.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
8:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More of that BS blow down and cull up the Nass valley,, south of the Portland Cannel. BC
North side is Alaska

It's one of two ( @mdavlee ) Michael Lee's sick saws. 51.4 mm.
One I figured I ran at 16 grand and the sportier one close at 17 g for whatever was in front of me.
They sucked down quick into the torque but the brush and saplings just ducked out of the way.
They will give one mean boot out of the bind especially in the loaded small dia with the revs up and you pull back at the same time. I always just let the saw fly up in the air off my right side if the power head is pointing up as a 20 lb built shoots at me. I do thoroughly enjoy the extreme and I feel I can handle it but the odd time it can 'one up you ,whether or not you been there 1000 times or not. I get off on that too.

One of his saws,
I did a full 360° on a steep hill and stabilized myself falling on the log I was cutting by holding myself up firm off the belly of the saw with firm grips on of the saw. I was 15ft down the same log on the left side as to where it shot me out. Think It was a tight back side bottom bind as I pulled back hard in a 8-10" tree in full rev.

View attachment 214607

Those xpw are awesome work saws to me. Still one of my favorites to use in the woods here.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you do that?

65 f is really warm.
Found the problem with the wide open throttle, piece of bark stuck between the stop screw and plate
8e97f177c74a716653cd1bde7b573c44.jpg
69c61f9c0121d880d0b53aead531f237.jpg
d1402863816efd21374a21b08f2f48eb.jpg

ST773

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of my trees on an urban logging job, not too bad for a 16 year old

Attachments

• 08F240F1-BF56-44DE-BA9F-665143F2B38C.jpeg
    08F240F1-BF56-44DE-BA9F-665143F2B38C.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 134
  • E0AD5737-4CED-4E59-9B77-2B23D3613E2D.jpeg
    E0AD5737-4CED-4E59-9B77-2B23D3613E2D.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 139
  • B7D0A82C-13CC-4C72-BA25-C8B427BEABD1.jpeg
    B7D0A82C-13CC-4C72-BA25-C8B427BEABD1.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 85BF5BB7-8DCD-432F-85DD-BF7099312A97.png
    85BF5BB7-8DCD-432F-85DD-BF7099312A97.png
    853.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 13394BDC-8F6A-421A-9FB7-B0D672083AD3.jpeg
    13394BDC-8F6A-421A-9FB7-B0D672083AD3.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 104

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Scooby says Ruh Roh.
Back slab was a little thin on the shell. I don't like to take any out of the top first until they are about 7 ft/ up. That's just me.
At least you had a good secondary trail out the bottom.
That mature cedar shell is definitely strong though. That top side was in bad shape.

Last edited: