Trees you've cut

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good deal, I thought maybe it was, but we don't have them around here, and I have NEVER cut one!

The needles almost looked like our Hemlock, and that bark did not look like Spruce.

I get a kick out of them re naming the 24" bar a 25" bar ... it is still a 24" bar. I've concluded the reason they did this was so it was not as noticeable that the 28" bar is really only a 27" bar.

I know they don't cut it anymore, but a lot of the trim on my house is Redwood.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good deal, I thought maybe it was, but we don't have them around here, and I have NEVER cut one!

The needles almost looked like our Hemlock, and that bark did not look like Spruce.

I get a kick out of them re naming the 24" bar a 25" bar ... it is still a 24" bar. I've concluded the reason they did this was so it was not as noticeable that the 28" bar is really only a 27" bar.

I know they don't cut it anymore, but a lot of the trim on my house is Redwood.

Redwood is still cut.

As far as bars go a real 36 is 119 drivers 3/8’s never understood how they could call a 114/115 driver bar a 36, I remember the 34’s from years ago with 110 drivers.

Doug fir is a little different animal then Hemlock it’s hard after a certain age you’ll see a difference around 50 or so they start to hard up then around 60 they’re about perfect to cut. These girls are 70 to 80 range so a touch harder also harder to save out if the ground isn’t filled they’ll blow the bellies right now but nothing like stuff that’s older. It’s a tree you can get away with a lot on but still have to be perfect otherwise it will bite you quickly, someone like [mention]jacob j. [/mention] might be able to explain it a little more in detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Eastern Hemlock is very slow growing, can live for hundreds of years, and can reach 6' in diameter, but I've never seen one that big.

The Catskill Mtns were almost all Hemlock, but during the Civil War they were clear cut as the tannic acid was used for leather tanning for the war effort. Hardwoods grew in their place.

It was often used for barn siding, as it would not rot if it were not touching the ground. Lots of barns lasted over 100-year-old, and it did not need to be stained or painted. The farmers liked that, because unfinished barns were taxed at a lower rate.

My cousin says it gets harder with age because it absorbs the minerals from the rain water. When their barn fell down, he started making large picture frames from the siding. (which I've also seen in several restaurants around here).

Now it seems that every trendy restaurant in sight has re-purposed barn siding. The workmanship is often horrible, but since it is re-purposed rough wood, no one seems to notice.

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Redwood is still cut.

As far as bars go a real 36 is 119 drivers 3/8’s never understood how they could call a 114/115 driver bar a 36, I remember the 34’s from years ago with 110 drivers.

Doug fir is a little different animal then Hemlock it’s hard after a certain age you’ll see a difference around 50 or so they start to hard up then around 60 they’re about perfect to cut. These girls are 70 to 80 range so a touch harder also harder to save out if the ground isn’t filled they’ll blow the bellies right now but nothing like stuff that’s older. It’s a tree you can get away with a lot on but still have to be perfect otherwise it will bite you quickly, someone like [mention]jacob j. [/mention] might be able to explain it a little more in detail.

U sure want to save them at the value there worth, I might not b the fastest guy on earth at falling timber but I'll give you a run for your money saving them out. I was always taught that it is a gift from the great spirit and to respect that, always do your best at harvesting the most out of your crop just like farming any thing in life.
anyway....

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took the 462 out for a spin today. Burned three tanks. That alot for me in one outing lol. Big live oak tumped over on my neighbors shed probably not a month after he built it. You can see the stump through the gap where it guillotined the little calf shed. Probably 30-32" on the stump. Hard as a rock. Chain had just about had enough as I made the last cut. 20220123_153330.jpg
All 20220123_155016.jpg we saved out for firewood. Should be ready to burn this time next year. It died standing and just tumped over. Still really wet inside though. Why I didn't take a picture before we started I'll never know.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Eastern Hemlock is very slow growing, can live for hundreds of years, and can reach 6' in diameter, but I've never seen one that big.

The Catskill Mtns were almost all Hemlock, but during the Civil War they were clear cut as the tannic acid was used for leather tanning for the war effort. Hardwoods grew in their place.

It was often used for barn siding, as it would not rot if it were not touching the ground. Lots of barns lasted over 100-year-old, and it did not need to be stained or painted. The farmers liked that, because unfinished barns were taxed at a lower rate.

My cousin says it gets harder with age because it absorbs the minerals from the rain water. When their barn fell down, he started making large picture frames from the siding. (which I've also seen in several restaurants around here).

Now it seems that every trendy restaurant in sight has re-purposed barn siding. The workmanship is often horrible, but since it is re-purposed rough wood, no one seems to notice.

Mike how thick is the bark on that Hemlock?
30d7a6d2afed1d17f2e47b93d8667d47.jpg

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
581dc37ae283a7e1c0cfacb0b046bacb.jpg

e98bb12e461ffd655cdc76b5b044dd3d.jpg
535b0459c73c0b44744105d9a66c9849.jpg

527cf2b38e59199929d118b0ee241990.jpg

A little bit of fun from earlier this week stretched out nice but not quite as long as we all like to the top.

Some real nice looking doug fir there! Is that somewhere up in north Idaho or Eastern Washington?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some real nice looking doug fir there! Is that somewhere up in north Idaho or Eastern Washington?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

No, not far from Longview, Wa on the Oregon side if they allow the stuff to grow here we can grow some really nice timber.

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve cut a 113 year old fir, hardest tree I’ve cut. 47” on the stump and a fresh chisel grind was working the poor old 066. Your comments are correct on as they get older they really harden up. Smaller and younger ones you work through quicker, old fir is incredibly underrated on the number it does in your chain and how hard it gets.