Tree Felling Technique Thread

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bore cut with my 32 es light no problem, also with my short bars on small saws. I bore while bucking if the top is in compression and I can't get the saw underneath to cut from the bottom up. Find it to be quicker/take less effort than getting the wedge out.

The closest mill to me is one of the top exporters of walnut in the country. I know for a fact they are loading up container after container of walnut and ash logs to be shipped across the pond to China. I assume it is getting some sort of heat and/or chemical treatment to prevent the spread pests/disease. They are buying it up and submerging it in water to preserve in fear that the ash is the next American Chestnut. :( Over half of the countless dead ash trees I took down last week are barely suitable for firewood anymore, if that. Worthless at the mill.

IMG_7761.JPG IMG_7762.JPG

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe
I bore cut with my 32 es light no problem, also with my short bars on small saws. I bore while bucking if the top is in compression and I can't get the saw underneath to cut from the bottom up. Find it to be quicker/take less effort than getting the wedge out.

The closest mill to me is one of the top exporters of walnut in the country. I know for a fact they are loading up container after container of walnut and ash logs to be shipped across the pond to China. I assume it is getting some sort of heat and/or chemical treatment to prevent the spread pests/disease. They are buying it up and submerging it in water to preserve in fear that the ash is the next American Chestnut. :( Over half of the countless dead ash trees I took down last week are barely suitable for firewood anymore, if that. Worthless at the mill.

View attachment 167388 View attachment 167389
In East TN, you can't find a standing live Ash tree anymore. Most are getting dangerous to cut.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just sayin, BUT didn't the ash borer beetle come from China? On pallets or something?
Now it killed all our Ash trees and the wood is going back over on a boat.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a few rare elusive living ash trees around us that are just now starting to show the signs of infestation. One real nice one on that property right next to the pool deck. Really wish I had had that one treated as it has some natural resistance that made it last this long.

The one pictured in my last post I really wanted to send 90 degrees to its lean to avoid as much damage to the walnut tree down the hill. The other big leader of that tree had already snapped off and I didn't trust it to hold a hinge, so with the lean it went. A few walnut limbs with it. Gave me the chance to get a nice little sunset climb in to cut the hangers and survey the debris field though.

IMG_7778.JPG IMG_7780.JPG IMG_7781.JPG IMG_7782.JPG IMG_7783.JPG

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They were taking it in log form which is illegal. From what I was told a local buyer here had $600,000 worth of it in containers that was seized in Hong Kong.

Heard it from a local logger so take it at face value.
The beetle is Asian...send them back to them. Lmao!!!!!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe

In East TN, you can't find a standing live Ash tree anymore. Most are getting dangerous to cut.
Glad I’m taking mine down while they’re reasonably healthy. No beetle in my stand yet, but they have been found less than 20 miles from me. Only a matter of time.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
3:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad I’m taking mine down while they’re reasonably healthy. No beetle in my stand yet, but they have been found less than 20 miles from me. Only a matter of time.

I don't see much literature on the control of Emerald Ash Borer available on the internet, but patch and/or pile burning may help. It certainly helps with many of the invasive insects we have out west, like Gypsy Moth and Tent Caterpillar.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
5:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't see much literature on the control of Emerald Ash Borer available on the internet, but patch and/or pile burning may help. It certainly helps with many of the invasive insects we have out west, like Gypsy Moth and Tent Caterpillar.

Locally they are tying some type of treatment with I believe an insecticide? Prior to infestation.
I see many of the trees in the city with what looks like sap taps driven in and tubes coming out into a bucket of something.
The infested trees are being removed.
I thought I read something about how they were doing it. I will see if I can dig it up.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
b429f0649ea6d3e9fb452fa2b441caeb.jpg
58c439b24f6bec033636cd170beed1ea.jpg

I almost never back bore anything I’ll swing a leaner before back boring.
0714ae2ee2d05fa268bbfb96b9a1b901.jpg
e5c4f02a71ea9429620c62fca276a746.jpg

One thing I’ve noticed is GOL teaches scratch faces if you guys would put them in deeper you wouldn’t be pounding your guts out near as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
b429f0649ea6d3e9fb452fa2b441caeb.jpg
58c439b24f6bec033636cd170beed1ea.jpg

I almost never back bore anything I’ll swing a leaner before back boring.
0714ae2ee2d05fa268bbfb96b9a1b901.jpg
e5c4f02a71ea9429620c62fca276a746.jpg

One thing I’ve noticed is GOL teaches scratch faces if you guys would put them in deeper you wouldn’t be pounding your guts out near as much.

Cool pics. Swing cuts are out of my league lol

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That wouldn’t fly here in the east tearing a lot of fiber loggin high $ hardwood trees, unless your just using it for firewood or not selling it. Seems like a different ball game out west. It is interesting to see the difference in styles of logging for the type of timber your cutting.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
4:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That wouldn’t fly here in the east tearing a lot of fiber loggin high $ hardwood trees, unless your just using it for firewood or not selling it. Seems like a different ball game out west. It is interesting to see the difference in styles of logging for the type of timber your cutting.

I wouldn’t generalize the style of cutting as east coast - west coast like you do. I log lots on the west coast and fiber pull like that wouldn’t normally fly with us either. We always try to minimize any type of damage to the logs but again will never sacrifice safety or control of the tree to do so. But I’m sure it’s also easier to do with cutting “mostly” softwood.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That was on a line in a place we couldn’t get a drum line on so we had to swing it, take 2’ off the butt or let it blow over in the next storm and deal with the neighbor. Something super high dollar won’t get swung hardwoods pay ok but nothing like fir or cedar. Even on good hardwood markets out here most of ours don’t fork out like the east coast it’s normally a single stem like red alder till you hit the valley then you see Oak and honestly I haven’t seen much of a market for it.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That was on a line in a place we couldn’t get a drum line on so we had to swing it, take 2’ off the butt or let it blow over in the next storm and deal with the neighbor. Something super high dollar won’t get swung hardwoods pay ok but nothing like fir or cedar. Even on good hardwood markets out here most of ours don’t fork out like the east coast it’s normally a single stem like red alder till you hit the valley then you see Oak and honestly I haven’t seen much of a market for it.

Chestnut oak/white oak/cherry don’t grow out west and they pay good for veneer grade logs. Not too much black walnut here in New England. Most of that is in the Midwest it seems.

Last edited:

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rich river flat type of soil is what I've noticed where black walnut likes to grow. Too rocky around me until you drive further south, oak grows like grass here though.

@XP_Slinger just practice swing cuts when you can, even a quick dutchmen can make life easier.