davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
2:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve tried to capture it and or explain it to people, but have not been able to as well as this picture I saw online. The best way I have been able to explain it is that regular good sized trees look like weeds at the feet of a sequoia. B017AAB4-197A-4317-BFC7-F995E2C85F49.jpeg

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
5:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20 years ago I worked at a nursery with full landscaping work also. We did some pretty high end developments and my boss asked me for an opinion about some nice rare trees to purchase, well I said hell get some sequoia and redwood. Lol he did and I sold them to some rich folks.
So in a couple hundred years there will be some enormous trees in an old development.
Had to really sell the home owners on planting the 50+ feet from the house.

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure I could google this but whats the difference in a giant sequoia and a red wood?

Flew in to San Fransisco about 8 years ago and made our way up to Portland stopping and looking at the red woods along the way. It was pretty amazing. If times were different or if they grew somewhere else I could see living near them just to get to see them often. If anyone has never seen a forest of red woods it really is like nothing else.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My buddy purchased one, had to keep it in a pot inside his garage for a year. Planted it in his yard this spring. Apparently they can grow about anywhere if you start them off right. I’ll snap a pic of the little guy next time I’m at his place, amazing to think what it will turn out to be. Course we will be dead and long gone by then.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Redwoods are taller and Sequoia’s are bigger/stouter but not as tall. That’s my basic understanding. Having seen the redwoods up close there’s really nothing like it. We have 200-300 year old oaks in the east but they’re tiny compared to mature Redwoods and Sequoias. One of these days I’ll make it out to see the bristle cone pines out west. They’re the oldest living organisms on the planet, thousands of years old. Makes you appreciate that we’re only on this earth for a moment.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure I could google this but whats the difference in a giant sequoia and a red wood?

Flew in to San Fransisco about 8 years ago and made our way up to Portland stopping and looking at the red woods along the way. It was pretty amazing. If times were different or if they grew somewhere else I could see living near them just to get to see them often. If anyone has never seen a forest of red woods it really is like nothing else.
Believe they’re the same tree, or close. Redwoods are near the coast and Sequoia grow inland

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
10:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s the difference between Dawn redwood and coastal redwood
I sorta remember all three are from the same sequoia family

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
6:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My buddy purchased one, had to keep it in a pot inside his garage for a year. Planted it in his yard this spring. Apparently they can grow about anywhere if you start them off right. I’ll snap a pic of the little guy next time I’m at his place, amazing to think what it will turn out to be. Course we will be dead and long gone by then.
I was gonna try some here, I live in a mild fog belt area. 500 years from now you'd might be able to see the tree on my land from town if I planted it lol. I might this or next summer. Seen you could order them online, unsure of quality though.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was gonna try some here, I live in a mild fog belt area. 500 years from now you'd might be able to see the tree on my land from town if I planted it lol. I might this or next summer. Seen you could order them online, unsure of quality though.

I will ask him where he got it. I know the first one died once he moved it outside, he got a replacement and it’s outside in the ground and seems to be doing well. I’ll call him today and see if I can get the info. I’d put one here but my wife wanted a newer home so we no longer have much of a yard, ughhhhh. But as they say “happy wife”…. What is it again, lol.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
What’s the difference between Dawn redwood and coastal redwood
I sorta remember all three are from the same sequoia family
Dawn redwood is an endangered non native deciduous (that’s right it loses its needles cyclically) conifer. It likes to have its roots wet and thrives in swampy soil conditions. Pretty cool tree really.

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve tried to capture it and or explain it to people, but have not been able to as well as this picture I saw online. The best way I have been able to explain it is that regular good sized trees look like weeds at the feet of a sequoia. View attachment 331565

That's the Boole Tree in Converse Basin of Seq/Kings National Park

Threatened and protected during the 2015 Rough Fire
https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article34756518.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And unfortunately the 2020 & 2021 fire seasons devastated a lot of the Sequoia groves in that area
db15c68ac202ccfdcf9325e72aad2fda.jpg

1b87fd3084ccb6ed182e4dc67293f5a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got to my buddy’s house today, he used The Jonsteen Company for his tree. The first one died after it was moved from the pot, it was doing great until it went into the ground. They warrantied it and sent him another and it seems to be doing great. I’ll upload a pic of the little guy later my iPad is being difficult.

Last edited: