STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 009L is a very simple saw to service. But with any luck, maybe someone just confused the fuel tank with the oil tank. The 010 and 011 are essentially the same saw with more displacement.

Attachments

• 010, 011 IPL.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you examined the back of the flywheel for the actual part number and possible key way markings? There is a small chance of a mismatch with the coils that could be causing excessive timing delay.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Page 38 of the 028/038 service manual vaguely infers the remote possibility of a SEM flywheel or a combination flywheel with 'A' and 'B' slots, designations for both 'A' and 'B' slots with only one machined for a SEM ignition system, or a single slot Bosch flywheel.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would be good as I`ve said in the past already somewhere, that the guys who ask for help would provide more data of the machine with the problem. I mean serial no, year of manufacture, exact model description. This helps and makes it much more easier to find the right information.

I don`t know if he did read my post from a few days back:
I`m not sure if I understand all of this correct, but as Poge already said the 1118 400 1305 module is for machines with points. I did some searching in my old german paper binder and translated something that might shed some light on this. I hope you understand it, I translated it using the google translator.

From machine number X 11 171 021, the chainsaws of the 028 series are equipped with a new Bosch ignition module (ignition anchor with integrated switching device). This means that the ignition systems that have been used as standard since then are no longer required: Bosch ignition anchors with switchgear and SEM ignition module. Only machines with contact ignition (WB, WBQ) continue to be equipped with SEM ignition modules or with Bosch ignition anchors. The new ignition module is fully replaceable. If the Bosch ignition module is used with the flywheel 1118 400 1200 (two keyways, B=Bosch and S=SEM), the flywheel must be fitted in position B. The flywheel 1118 400 1210 is only suitable for machines with heated grips and SEM ignition module.

Ignition anchor Bosch (old and new version) 1118 400 1305. Is still used as standard only on machines with contact ignition (WB, WBQ).

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In most cases I would agree, but the 028 is certainly not one of Stihl's more complicated efforts.

Quite a bit of detail has been provided with the most important one being that the unit is identified as a WB which could put it pre - 11 171 021.

That said, a serial number could help provide some detail on what parts are supposed to be on the saw, but certainly not what is on the saw being as old as it is. And as you know, Stihl serial numbers do not contain date information. As such, dating becomes an exercise in which parts may or may not be on the unit according to certain break points identified in the service manuals and tech notes releases..., and/or who may have already substituted any number of random parts over the years.

My money is still on a simple ignition problem and why I suggested additional examination of the flywheel..., unless the carburetor is a cheapo aftermarket carb or the top end is indeed the problem. While port timing may have a certain effect, mismatched components in the p/c kit (full skirt piston) would seem more likely if the top end is causing the problem.

Awaiting the conclusion of the saga with baited breath! LOL

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right you are. LOL I like it to have these informations because it is faster to come on the right track. But yeah, who knows what has already been changed in the past the one or other way...

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right you are. LOL I like it to have these informations because it is faster to come on the right track. But yeah, who knows what has already been changed in the past the one or other way...
Take it easy bub ! We don't want Mark becoming obsessed with Stihl or else he'll start another Museum! Lol
He's got more persistence than he lets on, and years of chainsaw knowledge.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Ira, package arrived today.

Max is here for a couple of days so I won't get back to the 028 until later this week.

Should be interesting.

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Because of an interest on another forum I broke out my Stihl 042 only to find the SEM Coil faulted .That is a self advancing coil and rare as a hens tooth to find .However I have the bones of another 042 with a Bosch coil but it used a trigger device under the flywheel .Then I looked at an 038 which has the same bolt pattern as the 042 .So I'm going to go for it using an after market coil for about $14 .It will either work or not but a better option than paying $100 for a SEM coil .

Attachments

• DSCN1393[1].JPG
    DSCN1393[1].JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 4

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could probably get away with one of the other Bosch trigger units of the era (032 maybe?). Might not fit accordingly, but may still provide the necessary trigger.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm hoping the 038 unit with a built in self contained trigger will work .On the previous Partner P-100 the original coil was a trigger device .If you can find one the cost would exceed the value of the saw . I'm going to check that coil also .Who knows maybe it's replacement for a 272 Husky might work .Wouldn't that be a hoot if it did .