heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back a few pages, 028 Wood Boss. I did go through the carburetor again, replaced the gaskets and diaphragms and gave it a thorough cleaning, reset the jets to 1-1/14 turns open. Once again the saw starts and idles fine but acceleration is very sluggish. I should replace the clutch (rattles @ idle and engages vey low RPM) but I am reluctant to put more into this project not knowing if it will help or not.

I really don't know where to go next.

Mark

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
4:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back a few pages, 028 Wood Boss. I did go through the carburetor again, replaced the gaskets and diaphragms and gave it a thorough cleaning, reset the jets to 1-1/14 turns open. Once again the saw starts and idles fine but acceleration is very sluggish. I should replace the clutch (rattles @ idle and engages vey low RPM) but I am reluctant to put more into this project not knowing if it will help or not.

Mark
Is that the one with the AM cylinder?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mark
Is it a points or electronic one? Ignition could be getting weak if it’s electronic they were know to fail. I have used chips in them and if it’s a points saw and it was converted to chip they were lazy unless advanced some

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also asked about possible points ignition a few posts back. Mark would certainly not be afraid to service a points system should it indeed have one..., and he realized it did.

Some folks just assume 028s were new enough to have electronic modules, which btw are a common 0000-400-1300 universal coil. They are about as bullet proof as they come and I've never seen a failure or heard of them being problematic in any of their many applications.

The good news is, they'll also swap right in to a points 028. No flywheel change and run just fine. Just snip the points setup and go. Play with timing if you like, but it's usually not necessary -- and the 028s aren't exactly known for being screamers anyway.

Port timing would be easy enough to check if it's suspected to be causing the problem, but my money is on the ignition. Hell, may have originally been points and someone converted to electronic and simply used the wrong module.

BTW, aftermarket 1300 modules are cheap and the ones I've used work fine -- if I don't have one just laying around. They were in everything for quite a few years. New OEM these days is well over $100 for one.

Could also be an aftermarket carb and not realized.

Usually easy saws to revive even from terrible condition and can become reliable workhorses, though a bit slow and heavy -- like many of us are becoming. LOL

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also asked about possible points ignition a few posts back. Mark would certainly not be afraid to service a points system should it indeed have one..., and he realized it did.

Some folks just assume 028s were new enough to have electronic modules, which btw are a common 0000-400-1300 universal coil. They are about as bullet proof as they come and I've never seen a failure or heard of them being problematic in any of their many applications.

The good news is, they'll also swap right in to a points 028. No flywheel change and run just fine. Just snip the points setup and go. Play with timing if you like, but it's usually not necessary -- and the 028s aren't exactly known for being screamers anyway.

Port timing would be easy enough to check if it's suspected to be causing the problem, but my money is on the ignition. Hell, may have originally been points and someone converted to electronic and simply used the wrong module.

BTW, aftermarket 1300 modules are cheap and the ones I've used work fine -- if I don't have one just laying around. They were in everything for quite a few years. New OEM these days is well over $100 for one.

Could also be an aftermarket carb and not realized.

Usually easy saws to revive even from terrible condition and can become reliable workhorses, though a bit slow and heavy -- like many of us are becoming. LOL
I thought the one I had was a separate trigger on my 028 but was so long ago I may not have remembered and was thinking of a different saw. Maybe I was thinking of the 031 points saw I needed to advance a full fin on the flywheel to get it to run properly after installing an nova 2 chip.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 028 WB in question has electronic ignition.

Here is the coil #

20230807_073723.jpg

The crankcase

20230807_073736.jpg

And the flywheel.

20230807_074019.jpg

Unfortunately I do not have another coil on hand that will fit this saw in order to test the electronic ignition coil. I did reset the coil/flywheel gap to 0.005/0.006" and it did not seem to have any positive impact.

I am still at a loss as to what to do with this saw.

Mark

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those numbers generally don't easily cross-ref to Stihl part numbers without some effort, but that's an 1118-400-1305 points coil and the probable cause of your problem. The same 1118-400-1206 flywheel is applicable to either ignition system.

You could try a chip if you have one handy, but I'd personally just buy an aftermarket 1300 electronic module and be done with it. (A capacitor and a set of points may not be too hard to scrounge up either if you ask around.)

Last edited:

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 028 WB in question has electronic ignition.

Here is the coil #

View attachment 386110

The crankcase

View attachment 386111

And the flywheel.

View attachment 386112

Unfortunately I do not have another coil on hand that will fit this saw in order to test the electronic ignition coil. I did reset the coil/flywheel gap to 0.005/0.006" and it did not seem to have any positive impact.

I am still at a loss as to what to do with this saw.

Mark
Mark I've got a points set up for the 028 if you want?

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I am even more confused since that saw does not have points...if it is a points coil how is there any spark at all???

20230808_081420.jpg

I did order one of these this morning, I will know more next week.

Thanks to all of you for your patience and support.

Mark

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a very good question! I'll see what else I may be able to discover about that coil, though the Bosch number does seem to cross-ref to the 1305 points module according to a couple of sources.

What numbers are on the back of the flywheel? And is it marked for both a SEM and Bosch keyway? The Stihl part number may also be cast along the outside edge.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everything I've found relative to that coil part number seems to indicate it's the coil for an 028 points ignition which is the only instance of its use.

The only other way I'm aware of that it could create a spark without a condenser and points would be with a trigger module arrangement of some kind..., or it's not an 1118-400-1305 module. That said, I'm not sure why an electronic module would have (or require) a third pole. Perhaps someone else could shed some light there.

May want to look for a carefully hidden chip to explain the presence of spark. If one is discovered, I'd investigate the integrity and location of its attachment point for an appropriate and effective ground.

Last edited:

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I`m not sure if I understand all of this correct, but as Poge already said the 1118 400 1305 module is for machines with points. I did some searching in my old german paper binder and translated something that might shed some light on this. I hope you understand it, I translated it using the google translator.

From machine number X 11 171 021, the chainsaws of the 028 series are equipped with a new Bosch ignition module (ignition anchor with integrated switching device). This means that the ignition systems that have been used as standard since then are no longer required: Bosch ignition anchors with switchgear and SEM ignition module. Only machines with contact ignition (WB, WBQ) continue to be equipped with SEM ignition modules or with Bosch ignition anchors. The new ignition module is fully replaceable. If the Bosch ignition module is used with the flywheel 1118 400 1200 (two keyways, B=Bosch and S=SEM), the flywheel must be fitted in position B. The flywheel 1118 400 1210 is only suitable for machines with heated grips and SEM ignition module.

Ignition anchor Bosch (old and new version) 1118 400 1305. Is still used as standard only on machines with contact ignition (WB, WBQ).

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a new (aftermarket) ignition coil and installed it in the troublesome 028.

20230814_103141.jpg

The saw started and ran exactly the same as with the other coil.

I would pursue an OEM piston and cylinder just to see if the problem is the porting on the Hyway Nikasil that I have in there but I will need someone to provide me with an IPL as I still don't have my Media Cat up and running on the new computer.

Mark

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These should help. Note the pop-up on the smaller top end.

Attachments

• 028 IPL.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 028, 038 Service Manual.pdf
    21.6 MB · Views: 2

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you Poge, I will start looking around to see if I can find a reasonably prices OEM piston and cylinder for the sake of science...

New day, new opportunity...someone called last night with an 009 that is leaking bar oil into the fuel tank. Does anyone have experience with these small saws and would it be more than just replacing the gasket? I realize to replace the gasket involves splitting the case but it is likely there is some collateral damage as well?

Again, thanks in advance.

Mark