GoldMember
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, that's what I did.
I used a Zemeckis Cube and recorded time turning back. :roto2nuse:
Okay, that's a good one! Makes for a head scratcher!

My Rotax engine in my snowmobile can run forward or reverse. It has two pickups on it though. One for forward rotation and one for reverse rotation.

Ne need for a gear box to back up.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay, that's a good one! Makes for a head scratcher!

My Rotax engine in my snowmobile can run forward or reverse. It has two pickups on it though. One for forward rotation and one for reverse rotation.

Ne need for a gear box to back up.
Maybe I installed a two way electric starter in my PS-5105... :p

eric4

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm rebuilding a 'no compression' ps-510 currently. Upon disassembly, it looks like the piston was scored up on the intake side quite badly, which makes sense since it had 50psi compression.

There's a pop-up piston in the mail for this saw, and the cylinder has cleaned up nicely, but I don't want that problem to happen again!

Is this a sign of the saw running too lean? The muffler bolts were incorrect, and way short, so that could have had an effect possibly? The saw was also missing the metal ring that goes inside the intake boot up against the carb, pictured below. Could that have caused the failure?

Might anyone have an extra lying around?

6770270176.jpg

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lean condition affects the exhaust side since being lean makes more heat and the heat goes out the exhaust.

Maybe dirt was getting in there. Or someone didn't chamfer the port after working on it?

eric4

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ah, that makes sense...

The spark plug was loosely installed, so maybe it was sucking in dust? The cylinder looked to be in stock form.

FATBOY2017

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never really had an issue with dust ingress on that series of saws, I always slip an rubber 'o' ring over the air filter snout anyway on any saw that has just a slip fit. I also had a 5105 that somebody had over tightened the plastic elbow between the air filter and carb and distorted it, just put a slither of RTV or make a gasket. To check for any leaks just spray with brake cleaner around the inlet when running, it will drop revs if leaking. Also check that the air filter either has the foam gasket ring on top of the carb or no hole in the air filter where it touches the carb.

eric4

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never really had an issue with dust ingress on that series of saws, I always slip an rubber 'o' ring over the air filter snout anyway on any saw that has just a slip fit. I also had a 5105 that somebody had over tightened the plastic elbow between the air filter and carb and distorted it, just put a slither of RTV or make a gasket. To check for any leaks just spray with brake cleaner around the inlet when running, it will drop revs if leaking. Also check that the air filter either has the foam gasket ring on top of the carb or no hole in the air filter where it touches the carb.
Super helpful, thank you! I'll check on the air filter and elbow when I get home. Last thing I want is to burn up the saw with a new piston.

I'll upload a pic of the last piston, to give a visual of where the wear was.

FATBOY2017

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No problem, glad be be if some help. Make sure you remove the plastic limiters on the mixture screws, if they are still on! Reset the mixture, depending on what info you have set max rpm to 13,500, some of the info says 14,500 but it was causing some issues. 13500 is ok and easier when max rpm kept away from the rev limiter, which makes 4 stroking harder to hear. Check in the wood when full bar is used to make sure it 4 strokes when load lifted off. The carbs are quite sensitive to small adjustments. If you need service manual and parts lists let me know and I'll send them to you. Also if you have the ability to pressure and vacuum test the system it's better to rule out any other issues, if it's just the inlet side of the piston scored then in theory it rules out a lean seizure, but its good to check, also pressure check the fuel pipe, I've had those split causing it to go lean.
Good saws when set right, cut well.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dolmar PS-4600 Speed playing in Turkey Oak, gonna run a tank of fuel through her to get parts moving and oiled, fuel flowing.
Logs are not really her domain, I'll pick smaller OD ones just to give her some run time.

IMG_20240325_112659.jpg

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
9:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About as old school :cool: as it gets!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you do with your Sawdust?
Chicken & duck bedding, plant/flower bedding.

Noodles are great spread under strawberries, no dirt on the fruits after rain showers.
Try to use less acidic chips though.

I know a couple people that utilize their wood chips to "choke" their boiler fires for longer burns.
Although, they all burn beech - not Turkey Oak like me.