MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well theres no saying the chain brake was original to that saw. I dont have it home yet, so I cant compare it to my 700 to see of the clutch cover is the same. The saw is beat up a bit. Looks like it was a pulp wooders saw at one time. Not even positive at this point if its really a 7-10. I'll have to check the tag when I get it home.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I rather doubt it was mandated as early as 1976 .However that was about the time Ralph Nader got his mitts into everything so that could have some merit . I got two Mac 700's on the free .One was needled and one was stuck ,brake frozen .The needled one had sat for decades on a basement floor owned by a trimmer who had removed the brake handle ,which a lot of trimmers did .I took the best parts of the two and made one .Whatever year it was the 700 came out,I didn't look it up .

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it definitely was not mandatory in the 70s or even the early 80s, McCulloch was way ahead of the curve on the chain break, I don’t think stihl even made an option until about 84

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't find a date for brakes being required in Canada as it was a provincial requirement but I think it was around 1985. It may have been staggered dates by province.

The PM 700 came out right at the end of the 7-10 in April 1977.

MAC's Publications Guide is a handy tool for model versions, start, end dates , IPL and manual #'s

Here's a copy of the 1979 guide.

Attachments

• Publications guide 1979.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 7

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
upload_2019-12-11_20-49-36.png

Above is from the 1976 IPL 92389B

I don't know exactly where the following list came from but it notes that McCulloch was the first chainsaw manufacturer to incorporate a chain brake on all models in 1975.

Hello Mcbob

Here is the history of McCulloch as we know it, we've presented it in a dateline form so that we can edit it as needed, as we go along, (as time allows) a continuing work in progress.

1931 - Robert Paxton McCulloch forms the McCulloch Engineering Company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to manufacture racing engines and superchargers.

1942 - McCulloch Engineering Company has grown to be the world's second largest manufacturer of superchargers, only General Motors Corp. produced more.

1943 - McCulloch Engineering is sold to Borg-Warner Corp.

1943 - McCulloch forms the McCulloch Aviation Company to produce two cycle engines for the military. At this time McCulloch began making improvements to die-casting techniques typically used for aluminum and magnesium.

1946 - McCulloch Aviation Company moves from Milwaukee to Los Angeles and incorporates under the new name of McCulloch Motors Corp.

1946 - Some McCulloch Motors were used on Reed-Prentice and Sears Craftsman chainsaws. Also known to have been used on RPM and Sears Craftsman brand lawnmowers.

1948 - McCulloch Motors entered the chain saw market and produced the world's first die cast magnesium chain saw. Their first saw the model:1225 (not the 5-49) was also the first two-man chainsaw weighing less then 50 pounds.

1949 - McCulloch produces the model:3-25 (3hp-25lbs) their first one-man chainsaw, it is the lightest weight of any in the world.

1958 - The McCulloch Motors Corporation changes it's name to McCulloch Corporation.

1962 - McCulloch is the first chainsaw manufacturer to produce over one million chain saws.

1963 - McCulloch opens it's a European plant in Mechelen, Belgium

1965 - McCulloch opens the first of four new plants to be built at Lake Havasu City, Arizona.

1966 - McCulloch Corp. produces the world's first electric starting chainsaw (Model:3-10E).

1967 - McCulloch becomes the first company to manufacture two million chain saws.

1968 - Robert McCulloch buys the London Bridge' it's to be the center piece for the Lake Havasu City development.

1970 - McCulloch conducts major expansion of it's plant at Los Angeles, California.

1971 - McCulloch Corporation celebrates 25 years as a chain saw industry leader.

1971 - McCulloch begins production of snowmobile engines.

1971 - McCulloch becomes the first chainsaw manufacturer to produce three million saws.

1973 - Robert P. McCulloch sells McCulloch Corporation to Black & Decker for 65 million dollars.

1974 - McCulloch produces it's four millionth chainsaw.

1975 - McCulloch becomes the first chainsaw manufacturer to use a chain brake on every model.

1977 - Robert Paxton McCulloch dies at the age of 65

We hope that you have found this dateline informative, we add more later.
Happy Hunting!
Tom & the Boy's

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To tell the truth I usually don't use them any way .The only exception is if I have get in a tree which is real seldom .My 70 plus year old shoulders aren't conducive to starting a saw in a tree these days .Fire it up,set the brake and rope it up .

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I got by to pick up the 7-10 auto today. More on that in a few.
Talked with the fella for quite a bit. Mentioned I was gonna pick up a longer nar for the PM700 one of these days. He said he thought he had a Mac bar hanging up in the other room. Sure did! Brand new! Got it for $40. Heres the info. H98X
M-90173
Measures 28" with bar all the way out on the studs and no spike. Around 26-1/2" slid all the way in. Maybe a bit much for the 700, but I'll run a skip tooth. Should do well.
1213191815_HDR.jpg 1213191809_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 1213191809_HDR.jpg
    1213191809_HDR.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 4

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And here is the 7-10 auto in all its rusty- nasty- moss covered glory. Wearing a crusty 20" windsor bar.
Had been sitting outside in the rain for Lord knows how long. Believe it or not, both fuel and oil tanks are bone dry and no varnish or oxidation to be found.
Turns over, however it does slowly walk the rope. I'll be taking a look at the piston. No way I could get lucky enough for it to just be a stuck ring.
As you can see, its a bit beat up. Its complete except for the missing chain brake flag.
Chip screen is partially missing, but thats way down my list. I'm gonna clean it up a bit and see whats under the gunk.1213191826a_HDR.jpg 1213191826_HDR.jpg 1213191826.jpg 1213191826a.jpg 1213191826b.jpg

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are pretty tough .Give it a good shot of Kroil or something .If you get it running chances are the good rings if stuck will free up .WTH I have that 700 that was stuck tight as a bulls azz in fly time and it freed up .I've never had it apart .

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like a good cleaning and a new 10 series AF cover you'll have a decent saw.

+1 on the oil in the cylinder. Sometimes they are dry and need some lube to get the compression up.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I got by to pick up the 7-10 auto today. More on that in a few.
Talked with the fella for quite a bit. Mentioned I was gonna pick up a longer nar for the PM700 one of these days. He said he thought he had a Mac bar hanging up in the other room. Sure did! Brand new! Got it for $40. Heres the info. H98X
M-90173
Measures 28" with bar all the way out on the studs and no spike. Around 26-1/2" slid all the way in. Maybe a bit much for the 700, but I'll run a skip tooth. Should do well.
View attachment 212532 View attachment 212533

You suck! :D

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey, suckage is nice when you can get it, which is almost never for me.:cool:
So I pulled the muffler. Piston and cylimder look pretty nice. Maybe just rings to get the compression back up.
Of course its missing the muffler shoulder bolt and the exhaust gasket. The 700 carcass was Also missing the shoulder bolt, and the gasket came out in 3 pieces.:(:mad:
Anybody know what that gasket is made of? I could cut a new one if I had the material.
I cleaned up the recoil assembly. Its cracked and missing part of the chip screen, so it will get the yellower one from the 700 carcass.
1213192049.jpg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey, suckage is nice when you can get it, which is almost never for me.:cool:
So I pulled the muffler. Piston and cylimder look pretty nice. Maybe just rings to get the compression back up.
Of course its missing the muffler shoulder bolt and the exhaust gasket. The 700 carcass was Also missing the shoulder bolt, and the gasket came out in 3 pieces.:(:mad:
Anybody know what that gasket is made of? I could cut a new one if I had the material.
I cleaned up the recoil assembly. Its cracked and missing part of the chip screen, so it will get the yellower one from the 700 carcass.
View attachment 212565

I just use some 1/16" exhaust gasket material i got from oreillys. Its 12" square and made by Mr. Gasket.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SWEET MOTHER OF JENNY.
IT HAS FIRE.
I AM DUMDFOUNDED.
Ok, maybe just dumb.
It has sat in a garbage pile in the rain and 3,000 degree Georgia heat with 800 percent humidity for who knows how many years after it was thrown there when someone who beat it like a rented mule gave up on it. No doubt it needs rings. Havent checked compression yet, but can y'all believe that? I know these things are tough, but thats amazing!
Only thing that kept me from giving it a shot of mix down the throat is that I'm out of mixed gas, and ive got to get up at 4:30 tomorrow to go to work.
I was stepping on the dry rotted plastic carcasses of Husky, Stihl, and Echo products to get this thing out of the bone pile. Those will never run again. This one May just need gas in it. Tank was bone dry and perfect. No oxidation. No varnish. Heres how she looks now. Borrowed recoil housing. Other one worked after I oiled it, but this one is not cracked and actually has a handle.
Steve, thanks for the tip on the gasket. Im hitting Oreillys after work.
1213192207_HDR.jpg 1213192207.jpg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SWEET MOTHER OF JENNY.
IT HAS FIRE.
I AM DUMDFOUNDED.
Ok, maybe just dumb.
It has sat in a garbage pile in the rain and 3,000 degree Georgia heat with 800 percent humidity for who knows how many years after it was thrown there when someone who beat it like a rented mule gave up on it. No doubt it needs rings. Havent checked compression yet, but can y'all believe that? I know these things are tough, but thats amazing!
Only thing that kept me from giving it a shot of mix down the throat is that I'm out of mixed gas, and ive got to get up at 4:30 tomorrow to go to work.
I was stepping on the dry rotted plastic carcasses of Husky, Stihl, and Echo products to get this thing out of the bone pile. Those will never run again. This one May just need gas in it. Tank was bone dry and perfect. No oxidation. No varnish. Heres how she looks now. Borrowed recoil housing. Other one worked after I oiled it, but this one is not cracked and actually has a handle.
Steve, thanks for the tip on the gasket. Im hitting Oreillys after work.
View attachment 212582 View attachment 212583

Get it running and put a tank or two through it. If the compression does not improve i have a set of rings for you. :)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I told you these things are tough as a pigs' snout .I actually doubt the the rings are bad .It's possible but I've never seen bad rings on a 10 series .Further more I've never seen a bad coil on a Mac points type ignition either .If they wouldn't have put the bearings in the piston they might last forever .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I told you these things are tough as a pigs' snout .I actually doubt the the rings are bad .It's possible but I've never seen bad rings on a 10 series .Further more I've never seen a bad coil on a Mac points type ignition either .If they wouldn't have put the bearings in the piston they might last forever .

I have had several 10 series with bad rings. I have had 1 points coil bad and three electronic coils bad. Everything eventually fails.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I had 1 bad coil .After it had sat inside for a while it revived itself .I gave it a good dousing with Glyptol and as far as I know is still okay .Can't remember which saw or even if I still have it .I have had solid state coils go on the blink .
If I recall the solid state coils were all on "cinder blocks " and I found a guy on flea bay claiming he had a thousand of them at 10 bucks a pop .Like a dummy I only bought 5 or 6 ,should have bought 20 .One of them went on a PM 610 I bought for my son and it was flawless .Looks like it had never been ran ,no sparky .One year I must have bought and sold 8-10 Pm 610's .