USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Started on third pull after I put it together! Yesterday at around freezing, not so much. Took about 10-15.

Today it's 5°... I'm going to be like this watching football!
View attachment 49718
Damn...5 degs a little on the chilly side. I just opened all my windows in the house, give it a good airing out. Gonna hit mid/high 70's in mid-Ga today.

mels

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1580.JPG IMG_1581.JPG IMG_1582.JPG IMG_1583.JPG

24" TW-3 PTO-driven Hooked to our 1958 Ford 641

Just picked it up used a month ago or so. New hoses, fluid flush, filters, added the extension table and modified it to bridge the gap towards its' front, added the 4-way but ground off it's lift bracket as the TW-3 doesn't have a lift cylinder unless you spend the coin to upgrade to the TW-3HD

I'll see if I can find pics of the cool old splitter I had but never used. Passed it along to Mr. Dan to see if he could save it or put parts of it to good use.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 86707 View attachment 86708 View attachment 86709 View attachment 86710 View attachment 86711

24" TW-3 PTO-driven Hooked to our 1958 Ford 641

Just picked it up used a month ago or so. New hoses, fluid flush, filters, added the extension table and modified it to bridge the gap towards its' front, added the 4-way but ground off it's lift bracket as the TW-3 doesn't have a lift cylinder unless you spend the coin to upgrade to the TW-3HD

I'll see if I can find pics of the cool old splitter I had but never used. Passed it along to Mr. Dan to see if he could save it or put parts of it to good use.

Very nice!! I love my 3 point splitter!

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
920adae976f21e2816f74c34e55989f4.jpg
71a963b5362cec8be10ecfdc89aee1ca.jpg
80ef409bd0456dab62ae5e0cf542f9d6.jpg
4cd7d9cc025d4ac76d5170b8ddf44fdc.jpg
ca43357fe242731c29224f5b45dc474a.jpg

Here is my home brew log splitter. Got it from a friend who tried to upgrade the engine pump combo but had no $$. I ripped off all the crap and put a reclaimed 5hp Honda engine from a pressure washer and a new speeco 11gpm 2 state pump. New suction hoses and pump to valve pressure hose. I'm also bringing the one axle in and using the axle to extend the hitch. I'll get some pictures up when she's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see that in action. I wouldn't say that it would be in order for the guy (or girl) doing 5-10+ cords/year, but I could see it being very handy if you had a lot of smaller stuff and wanted to have the luxury of splitting without the noise or fumes of a petrol engine... Pretty brilliant for the weekend adventurer.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
2:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will try and get a video up and running of this machine in action
I sell a lot of nets of kindling throughout the winter my idea was to break down softwood logs into smaller pieces so I can finish them off with the hatchet for kindling

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
20170922_110103.jpg
White Oak or Ash, I'm not sure.

20170326_160651.jpg
Hedge/Osage Orange.

I couldn't remember if I had posted pics of it or not, but I wish that I'd of had this splitter 25 years ago... Wow. The J-model would have done well and the HD likely better, but the Special Edition Super Split, especially with the Split-Second log lift and stabilizers is something else. True 24" wood is a bit of a PITA due to the clearance of the flywheel housing, but 22" and less is amazing. To watch it cleave off a knot like a meat cleaver, especially in Hedge, is something to see.

Now all I need is a conveyor, a F.E.L. tractor and a dump trailer and I'll be set for life!

Last edited:

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 91139
White Oak or Ash, I'm not sure.

View attachment 91140
Hedge/Osage Orange.

I couldn't remember if I had posted pis of it or not, but I wish that I'd of had this splitter 25 years ago... Wow. The J-model would have done well and the HD likely better, but the Special Edition Super Split, especially with the Split-Second log lift and stabilizers is something else. True 24" wood is a bit of a PITA due to the clearance of the flywheel housing, but 22" and less is amazing. To watch it cleave of a knot like a meat cleaver, especially in Hedge, is something to see.

Now all I need is a conveyor, a F.E.L. tractor and a dump trailer and I'll be set for life!

That splitter looks the business the videos I've watched are so fast

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard throughout a lot of pages about hedge Osage/ orange can anyone shed some light on this tree over the pond we ain't got any of this but fascinated by members views on this wood

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's native throughout the Central and Mid-Western US. The Indians (and others) used it for bows, and as such, the French named it Bois D'Arc. It can be a PITA to work with (lathes and such) as the knots are usually plentiful when they don't have to compete for light. It's VERY dense and makes a good mallet head and it only toughens with age. It also burns VERY hot and can be burned green (though it will sound like random small firecrackers). It makes hot, long-lasting coals and burns very cleanly when dry, almost on the order of Coal. It's not as hard/dense as some of the Aussie species, but it's about the heaviest, toughest, hottest thing going in the US, except for possibly Mesquite, which usually doesn't get very large.

For stove wood or an enclosed fireplace, it's returns are literally gold compared to the input work especially when compared to Ash, Maples, Hackleberry, etc. It IS thorny though I I'm not sure that I've ever had an occasion processing Hedge when I wasn't punctured at least once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bois_d'arc_(disambiguation)

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are a lot of older hedge rows around here with them. The fruit are called hedge apples here and make a mess on the roads and drives. The spines are sharp and they are a twisty son of a gun.
Another fun one here is the honey locust. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_locust . We push them into burn piles here rather than deal with the loose spines puncturing tires.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We have a lot of Locust here too, (hence my screen name). Most won't f-word with them, trying to avoid stabbing themselves and their tires with the barbs. I've found if you shave the using the top of the bar, and work backwards, a section at a time, you can avoid the tire punctures and most of the skin punctures. It splits and burns beautifully!

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys for the information , Both those trees defiantely are worth the cutting time the wood once dried will keep you the winter
I've looked and they are available over here there are some trees in Kew Gardens
Near London and some country houses