stihlman441

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The largest commercially available chainsaw and beer = completely acceptable

I love being Australian!

I recon that tree would make cutting oak look like it was green pine!

Hard erned thirst
Got to keep your fluids up on the big jobs.
Ya got to love Redgum dust been blowing out red boogys all night.

metallic

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi Guys, Bob from Massachusetts here. I have a quick question about the redgum and ironwood. Is it the usual practice to just use a chainsaw to block up the wood for burning in a wood stove? Is this wood so gnarly that it can't be run through a splitter? Okay, sorry, another question: what parts of Australia do people tend to burn firewood for heat?

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Bob
These hard woods are generally zero fun to split by hand. It can take several hits at full strength in the same spot to form a crack.
Sometimes you get lucky and it splits easier but not often.
a splitter will split it, and if it wont, you need a bigger splitter :)

Most places in the northern half of the country are classed as tropical and spend more time running an air conditioner for cooling than a fire for heat.
Bottom half of the country gets colder with snow in a few places at high points.
When it comes to the cold, we have it easy compared to a lot of places in the states and Canada.
We are lucky to see temps below zero a few times a year

stihlman441

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hi Guys, Bob from Massachusetts here. I have a quick question about the redgum and ironwood. Is it the usual practice to just use a chainsaw to block up the wood for burning in a wood stove? Is this wood so gnarly that it can't be run through a splitter? Okay, sorry, another question: what parts of Australia do people tend to burn firewood for heat?

Hi there
The Assie hard woods everything about them is hard on gear and hard work but they burn very long and hot so sort of works out.
I think most people use a saw to block up into foot lenghts and all have splitters and at times have to use a saw to make into size bits to fit into the fire because ya cant split it.
For me in the south of Ozz (Victoria) in land about 60 kms and gets to 0 deg about 6 times a year the most common fire wood is Sugargum,Redgum,Yellowbox and then the softer stuff like Stringybark,Messmate,Peppermint and so on.

Cheers

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had my fire burning all day 14 hrs today, other than some kinling to start it I have used 3 pieces of redgum...nuff said.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah Ironbark is like that too.

Chuck a log or 2 in the fire when you go to bed and when you get up in the morning the house is still toasty warm and the logs are still there smouldering away

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Redgum aint my favourite but I got a chit ton seasoned split/stacked. Box varieties and other gums are as good if not better but a mix of stuff is good too. We are lucky when it comes to firewood here.

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
11:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about the old malley root? Wasn't that top of the pick but now non insistent.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a large amount of black butt to butn this year
Its very dense timber ao should burn well