High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The most "Overrated" saw you own/owned ?

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
And Stihl sold heaps of these saws from the MS029-390. I read about what a POS they were, but it wasn't until I ended up owning one that I had an appreciation of the distaste for them.

Who designed those things? An airfilter way too small, so they put on a snorkel to try and compensate and gave it the marketing spin as an "intelli-carb" (intelligent?)

Then there was the high quality German engineering that led to the fine tolerances that gave it a factory ignition timing between 23.5 and 28.5 degrees - depending upon what day of the week and the weather.

The same EPA compromised carb for a 54cc 029 to a 64cc 039. No problem, just change max revs from 13,000 for the 029 to 12,500 for the 039 - nobody will notice.

And the construction, what a mess to work on. It's like they wanted to make it too difficult to work on so people will never fix them (which with the 'hot spot' cast into cylinder helped ensure). With all the complex construction and use of plastics you would have thought they would have cleverly managed to make the saw lighter - but it is an overweight pig - clever guys, very clever.

Everybody should own one at least once in their life so that they can appreciate other saws.

This guy gets it! When I ran my line clearance crew, I had one 029. It was the punishment saw. If you screwed up you ran the 029 all day. Everybody hated that saw.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have a 12 MM. My 50cc Dolmar just about keeps up with it.

All I've done to it is a mild muff mod and re-ring it with new Cabers. It should have more torque than a 50cc saw, but it's unfortunately much closer than it should be...
I'd agree there, but I've never owned one. Couple years ago, a few friends were over sawing cookies 'n stuff. The 044 was tenths quicker in a big pine log than my ported 56.5cc Husky!

No love for a 038 mag?

I ran a ported 038 mag at a charity cut a few years ago swapped the guy cutting next to me, a ported ms440, he gave me his ported 038 mag. We each ran a tank, threw each-others saws.

I liked it enough, I bought the next one I found a deal on....do I like a 038 mag, as much as my 1128's? No, but still a neat older saw, IMHO.
Can't speak for the modded variety. Stock, it's a turd no matter how you polish it.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd agree there, but I've never owned one. Couple years ago, a few friends were over sawing cookies 'n stuff. The 044 was tenths quicker in a big pine log than my ported 56.5cc Husky!

Can't speak for the modded variety. Stock, it's a turd no matter how you polish it.

Porting may make it run better, but who's gonna haul that around in the woods? Might as well take a 90cc saw they weigh the same.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Strange to see comments on saws in here that I really think highly of, never thought the 346xp would be considered overated. Guess it's open to interpretation as we each have had different experiences with the same models.
I agree with every comment so far but the 346. Stock they are really good. Ported there is simply nothing better, stronger, faster. If there is i havent seen it. Add to that easy to work an and lots of parts available and top ends available for $100 oem? I cant agree w that one at all.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This will go against the grain here but a husqvarna 372! In my experience a 272/jonsered 670 is just as strong, better built, smaller in size, and has an outboard clutch which is a plus inmo! I have just never ran one I liked.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
This thread is throwing up some question marks in my mind .
To be disappointed and then go on to say that ... "such and such" a saw is the most overrated saw we/you have owned, comes from some standard we /you have.
So far it seems that its mostly about how powerful a saw feels from factory V non stock and has shown up a few surprises ! Most can get more from a saw with work but then others run mostly stock . They then might call the saw "Overrated" ....like for like is not so easy on OPE.
So is it all about how fast a saw is only ?
What about other things ?

Last edited:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This thread is throwing up some question marks in my mind .
To be disappointed and then go on to say that ... "such and such" a saw is the most overrated saw we/you have owned, comes from some standard we /you have.
So far it seems that its mostly about how powerful a saw feels from factory V stock and has shown up a few surprises ! Most can get more from a saw with work but then others run mostly stock . They then might call the saw "Overrated" ....like for like is not so easy on OPE.
So is it all about how fast a saw is only ?
What about other things ?
To me it's about the whole package, power, weight, ergonomics, value, design and so on.