Piston is made by Tecomec.
_DSC3393.jpg

_DSC3394.jpg

My cheap and very old kitchen weight can be used to something:
Tecomec piston:
_DSC3391.jpg

Mahle OEM piston:
_DSC3392.jpg

All in all the Tecomec piston look great, the add on weight on Mahle is mostly because a 242 piston isn't equal anyplaces, some of the add on weight may be to balance the piston better, just my theory.

Later I plan to go through the jugs, but Tecomec jug is far more heavier in my hand, and that is one of the drawbacks, and I few other things I didn't like.....but I already seen things I like with Tecomec jug also.....

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
4:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jugs.....Here is the negative/positive sides I found on Tecomec

Most of the extra weight on Tecomec is found here and on cooling fins:
_DSC3395.jpg

Mahle's cooling fins are thinner, Tecomec seems to prefer to cut after the casting hence why their coolings fins add weight. 242 is a light weight saw, no one like extra weight....
And Tecomec never got the cut for the flywheel right, not sure if it will be an issue or not, but there is extremely little space left when we drop a Mahle jug....this is something we have to pay attention to.
_DSC3399.jpg

PTO side, it make no sense why Tecomec made this weird transfer bulge shape...
_DSC3400.jpg

When I first saw the upper transfers I felt the Tecomec was a tad smaller. I still think Mahle has more wide uppers, and the corners on Mahle is extreme.
_DSC3405.jpg

But....Tecomec has a far bigger intake port
_DSC3404.jpg

To be continued.....................

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good stuff Tor.

I set one up on a 42 and didn't have any issue with flywheel clearance but yes the cutaway is essentially backwards for whatever reason and really it seems not even needed.

I also got a second kit to install on the other 42, unfortunately found that it had a deteriorating cage on one crank bearing so that may be a while before I get to it.
I'm most interested in the significant difference in intake timing and want to set one up with no other mods but the intake lowered to oem spec.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
4:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They had two if not three different flywheels Bill, and that was for the G flywheels.
I went without gasket on my two last 242 builds, the old 89 got conflict with the flywheel, I dont think the 91 had issue, what make me think that Husky rounded the corners on the flywheel used on later models like 42 special.

Double check your IN, I ended up with around 44-44.1mm
All the other sizes where exactly as you posted :)

I also got a second kit to install on the other 42, unfortunately found that it had a deteriorating cage on one crank bearing so that may be a while before I get to it.
Hopefully its only FS bearing, those PTO's is hard to find

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I have the same 028 Super piston, and yes was a bit let down when I saw that as well. Like ya say though, it does look good, so... Bad part is, where does it end? :(

I apologize for that. I didn't even look at that box. We just bought a closeout of Tecomec parts because they have quit making aftermarket parts. Received it the week of Thanksgiving. I hurried to get it online for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I looked at some of the cranks and they have the "Made in Italy" printed on them.
I'm gonna check the other stuff in the morning. I never believe country of origin anymore. Not after what I've seen in China.
I just bought a stihl 036 piston for a customer.
Website says made in italy
Box isn't marked
But the rings look chinese
Cabers in the plastic box
Are these Italian or chinese?
Piston looks good20181106_145612.jpg 20181106_141621.jpg 20181106_141655.jpg my ring compressor set is stamped made in italy

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
9:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just bought a stihl 036 piston for a customer.
Website says made in italy
Box isn't marked
But the rings look chinese
Cabers in the plastic box
Are these Italian or chinese?
Piston looks goodView attachment 149166 View attachment 149167 View attachment 149168 my ring compressor set is stamped made in italy

Good question, I have scads of Tecomec boxes here with out a where it's made stamp.
Any way you slice it, Italian or Chinese, it doesn't have Caber rings. So act accordingly.

Tractorsaw1

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While back I ordered poulan rings at the Husqvarna dealer - went to install them & right on the package is made in china

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good question, I have scads of Tecomec boxes here with out a where it's made stamp.
Any way you slice it, Italian or Chinese, it doesn't have Caber rings. So act accordingly.
This thread is two year's old
And the website still shows these
As made in italy.
And i have used many Italian tecomecs
No problem.
That's the only reason i ordered it.
I run all kinds of China pistons.
China rings haven't lasted for me so i switch them to cabers.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't tell much of anything from the picture but don't forget that there are two types of cabers, the f cast cabers are silver/shiny and the regular ones are more dull/black.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't tell much of anything from the picture but don't forget that there are two types of cabers, the f cast cabers are silver/shiny and the regular ones are more dull/black.
Hl said they are Italian
Idk
Tecomec was always marked where it was made.
I have a tecomec echo 600 piston
It's china stamped
The ring looks identical.
He's a neighbor I'm sure it'll last just fine
If not I'll fix it.