Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think You would have a hit I've worked on dozens of those saws and almost every owner wanted more power out of them.

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a list of the Tecomec closeout order we received. I just checked the products and the K650 crankshaft has "Made in Italy" written on the counterweight. The 028 piston says "Made in China" on the sticker. I don't see any other country of origin on anything else.
So who knows? Maybe it is all made in China. Maybe someone put the wrong sticker on the box. I'll try to find out some more from the distributer.

Attachments

• 20161111 Tecomec Order.pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 26

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
3:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tecomec outsources a lot of their products like most other suppliers. There was talk at the Stihl/Husqvarna dealer meetings for a while that a lot of Tecomec's stuff was being made in Turkey. One of the potential differences though is that the QC is higher than with the generic brands because Tecomec has people in the factories overseeing some of the production run.

DSS

widebody
Local time
7:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
d43af21ffdfb56d02723e5e14cf09b60.jpg

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been thinking of doing something like that. Piston are relatively inexpensive to copy. 029 and 039 would be the first I would make. Is the combustion chamber the same on all of the 029 and 039's?
We need someone to make a prototype.
Prototype is not a problem... Shaun (or someone that can tig weld aluminum) could weld a pop-up on a piston and then run it on the lathe to clean it up and cut it down to the right size. 290-390 would be an easy one to fit test since they are a clam shell and easy to bolt up to test clearance. There are 4 bore sizes you would have to make to fit all the farm boss series.

45mm - 029
46mm - 029 super, 290
47mm - 310
49mm - 039, 390

Maybe have someone port a cylinder kit we like and then make a piston to fit and have both copied...??? Or just have a piston cut for a cylinder you have on the shelf (like a Cross Performance). It would be easier to control the quality if the high performance piston was sold exclusively for a certain cylinder or in cylinder kit. I can just imagine someone blowing apart their saw with a domed piston because they didn't check clearance. I would start with the 49mm size first since its almost the same price for more displacement. Last thing that comes to mind is that I would not do this option for saws that commonly have crank problems... just my 2 cents...

I have at least a dozen OEM and AM cylinders sitting around to look at the chamber shape if needed. might be able to have shaun mach up a piston over the holidays since I have a 084 crankcase for him to weld anyhow...

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
200 hrs isn't much that's not for off from the epa tag on poulans and homelite Homeowner saws
Yea i know... that's the minimum I would like to see come from an AM crank. I have seen them blow out in under 20-30hrs of use!

And I thought most homeowner saws were set to 50hr EPA spec because that loosened the emissions standards for them... but how would i know...???

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Prototype is not a problem... Shaun (or someone that can tig weld aluminum) could weld a pop-up on a piston and then run it on the lathe to clean it up and cut it down to the right size. 290-390 would be an easy one to fit test since they are a clam shell and easy to bolt up to test clearance. There are 4 bore sizes you would have to make to fit all the farm boss series.

45mm - 029
46mm - 029 super, 290
47mm - 310
49mm - 039, 390

Maybe have someone port a cylinder kit we like and then make a piston to fit and have both copied...??? Or just have a piston cut for a cylinder you have on the shelf (like a Cross Performance). It would be easier to control the quality if the high performance piston was sold exclusively for a certain cylinder or in cylinder kit. I can just imagine someone blowing apart their saw with a domed piston because they didn't check clearance. I would start with the 49mm size first since its almost the same price for more displacement. Last thing that comes to mind is that I would not do this option for saws that commonly have crank problems... just my 2 cents...

I have at least a dozen OEM and AM cylinders sitting around to look at the chamber shape if needed. might be able to have shaun mach up a piston over the holidays since I have a 084 crankcase for him to weld anyhow...
I'd do the 46mm and 49mm. But 49mm first. So what do you need from me to get it done?

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ordered on the same deal and also received made in China pistons. I ordered a couple of the cranks as well. They showed up in boxes marked Precision Tooling which is an Italy based company but there are no marks of any kind stating country of origin on the boxes.
You get a 365/372 crank? How do they look? I need to make another order soon for a couple 372 builds...

Also @Gentleman are we going to see any AM 372xp air filter covers in the near future?

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd do the 46mm and 49mm. But 49mm first. So what do you need from me to get it done?
Which cylinder kit do we like the most? I have been partial to the Cross Performance kits with cabers since I have had issues with the cheaper rings loosing compression on me after a couple heat cycles. I'd think that would be a good jumping off point...? Let me text shaun and see what he needs and if he would be willing to mach one up for us. I usually have to bribe him with cash or chainsaw parts to do machine work for me... Maybe a good bottle of something will work... ;)

Also do we want to mess with cylinder port timing at this point or not?

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
5:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love the idea of the Farm Boss upgrade, I think it will be a winner. If it flies like it think it will, the 455 Rancher would be a slam dunk as well. Husqvarna's most popular saw.

As far as the Tecomec piston goes, I'm not sore at all, was just surprised. The recent stuff from China has actually been really good as far as quality goes, yeah not 100%, but better. I'm not afraid to use that piston one bit. Some things ya just have to take a leap of faith on.

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
are we going to see any AM 372xp air filter covers in the near future?
Is there an aftermarket one? I'll look for it.
Also do we want to mess with cylinder port timing at this point or not?
We could make a sample but it might not happen for a while. What could we do to it?
The pistons are more important. We just need to make sure it will work in the OEM and aftermarket cylinders.
I usually have to bribe him with cash or chainsaw parts to do machine work for me
Let me know what you need or I can pay him.
Does anyone have an OEM cylinder and piston for sale? I can always order one here.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You get a 365/372 crank? How do they look? I need to make another order soon for a couple 372 builds...

Actually I did receive a 365 crank by mistake, they are shipping out my other 272 crank asap with a return label. I didn't spend a ton of time inspecting these cranks nor am I in saws as much as you fellas. But my initial look says they are pretty decent. I can post up pics later if there is something specific you would like to see or have measured on the 272 and 365 crank.

I also want to second I am not upset with the products I received. They appear to be nice pistons at a dirt cheap price. Just surprised as everyone else when the box said China.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there an aftermarket one? I'll look for it.

We could make a sample but it might not happen for a while. What could we do to it?
The pistons are more important. We just need to make sure it will work in the OEM and aftermarket cylinders.

Let me know what you need or I can pay him.
Does anyone have an OEM cylinder and piston for sale? I can always order one here.

There is a AM 365 cover but not a high top 372 cover for the bigger AF. Was inquiring if any suppliers will be making them in the future.

Let's keep it simple. We can make a 49mm version first. I will look for a 49mm OEM tonight.

I need:
1.) cross performance 49mm cylinder kit
2.) spare cross 49mm piston. I'll do compression readings back to back with stock vs pop-up on both OEM and Cross cylinders.

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need:
1.) cross performance 49mm cylinder kit
2.) spare cross 49mm piston. I'll do compression readings back to back with stock vs pop-up on both OEM and Cross cylinders.
Send me the shipping address. I will also send you our cheaper 039 cylinder. Just to see if the piston can fit as well.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 49mm oem topend that I ported too wide on the transfers we could use it for a test on a piston with a popup. I have an oem
The numbers on the ms 390 were very good you can't widen the transfers or you will hook a ring unless we had the ring ends moved like what is on a 372xt

I think the pistons need to be 10 thou taller and a small popup like a quarter ($0.25) with a bevel

let me know if I can help in this process at all

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 49mm oem topend that I ported too wide on the transfers we could use it for a test on a piston with a popup. I have an oem
The numbers on the ms 390 were very good you can't widen the transfers or you will hook a ring unless we had the ring ends moved like what is on a 372xt

I think the pistons need to be 10 thou taller and a small popup like a quarter ($0.25) with a bevel

let me know if I can help in this process at all

I'll probably make the pop up domed.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll probably make the pop up domed.
what are you thinking Shaun? Like a 026, 028S or like the wiseco 372 pistons?

Can you move the ring ends too?

I like the 026 idea fwiw.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the pistons need to be 10 thou taller

Stumpy found that a run of the Farmertec pistons were 10 thou taller (bit more deck height) and they went off the shelf so quick I never got one. A good idea to help the compression.

Yeah, the domed idea is much better for flow across the piston and less area for heat absorption.