High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stumping saw question - 395xp vs MS661

28-40" hardwood- would you run a Ported 395 or a Ported MS661?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would also like to add the old 394 feels to me to have a touch more grunt down low and the 395 seems to rev a tad quicker. Might as well flip a coin as to what one is better. Some of the parts are NLA on the 394 and OP mentioned parts availability being one of your priorities... so I would stick with the newer 395.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
5:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have run 066, 660, 661, 385, 390, 394, 395, 9010 and 2100. All in various ‘build’ configurations from stock to “Insane”. If it were me and I had to choose one to stump and do occasional fell with; it would be a 395. Yes, the 661 is more nimble and better for felling, no argument. But, for reliability and torque grunt I would go with a ported 395. As previously stated its heavier, but that isn’t a disadvantage when stumping. The torque curve (especially when ported properly) is wider and more forgiving, the outboard clutch SHOULD dissipate heat better, in my experience they oil better and balance isn’t an issue.

Just my $0.02.

Congrats on the promotion! I was an E-7 select when I was retired. Its a good thing. Thank you for your continuing service.

I wish you could have stayed in long enough to get it. I am just too' stubborn and have put up with too' much crap over 19 years, 2 different air frames (B-1b and KC-135R) and 2 different AFSC's (ACFT MX and Intel) not stay in and retire, (as long as I don't get med-boarded out first). Either way, it feels pretty darn good to see that heartache, frustration and otherwise rewarded by entering the Senior NCO ranks. Now hopefully I have plenty of opportunity to give "perspective" and wisdom to the young kids who know everything and are on a track which is still correctable with a bit of involvement.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same chain and 7 pin on both and both stock. Cut times were a draw. The 394 had a bit more grunt, handled a 8 pin and dropping the rakers better... although the 661 is no slouch obviously.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We'll see what happens. 90% of my bigger cutting could be done with a 390xp. It's the other 10% I'm shooting for now.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We'll see what happens. 90% of my bigger cutting could be done with a 390xp. It's the other 10% I'm shooting for now.

A Banana Breath 61R with a maxflow if you’re speaking of 10%.

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I wonder if a Masterminded 090G would counter the rotational torque of the planet???

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I wish you could have stayed in long enough to get it. I am just too' stubborn and have put up with too' much crap over 19 years, 2 different air frames (B-1b and KC-135R) and 2 different AFSC's (ACFT MX and Intel) not stay in and retire, (as long as I don't get med-boarded out first). Either way, it feels pretty darn good to see that heartache, frustration and otherwise rewarded by entering the Senior NCO ranks. Now hopefully I have plenty of opportunity to give "perspective" and wisdom to the young kids who know everything and are on a track which is still correctable with a bit of involvement.

I’ll tell you; leaving on terms NOT your own is tough. Stick it out for 20, but ensure you get to medical and document everything wrong with you. I “gutted it out” for years and regret it. Being a SNCO is less about your own promotions; its about leading, guiding, mentoring and training your subordinates to be BETTER than you. Same as an NCO but you now have more authority to ensure the NCOs have the ability to properly ‘bring up’ the junior Airmen the way it should be done. I have always said that the Marine Corps had it backwards.

Mission accomplishment, Troop Welfare.

It should be: Troop Welfare, Mission Accomplishment.

If you take care of your Airmen/Sailors/Soldiers/Marines, they will do anything and everything you ask or demand of them. I don’t mean coddling and babysitting, I mean ensuring they have everything they need to do their job, ensuring they have equipment to do their job, ensuring they are properly trained, ensuring they have feasible timelines to accomplish a task the support needed to do so and having their backs in times of turmoil as well as praise. Holding the little fluckers accountable goes with out saying; but it must be firm and fair. Its funny how its so much like a recipe good running business......

Get the 395, get it ported and don’t look back.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve ran a lot more than 3 tanks through mine and haven’t blown a muffler apart or cylinder bolts came loose! Maybe it’s something ol tweety bird is doing to them!