Country flag
20171219_123516.jpg
Install the ground wires.

20171219_123604.jpg
Flywheel back on.

20171219_123651.jpg
Studs and gasket in place.

20171219_123700.jpg
The mufflers on this series are very restrictive, this is one way to help things out a little.

20171219_123704.jpg
Also trimming back on the cover to make the opening slightly bigger.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That saw seems like its had little use. Is it normal to have to reseal this series with such little use? Did it have a airleak? Or is it a prevention type of thing? Nice work you make it look so easy!!!

Milkman31

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 102231
Clean the mating surfaces thoroughly, I like to resurface them on a flat plate.

View attachment 102232
Going back together with Dirko, simply because it is Stihl OEM. Hondabond works just as well.

View attachment 102233
Apply a thin layer to both sides, and oil up the cylinder.

View attachment 102234
New crank seals on, this installation tool makes life easy.

View attachment 102235
Engine back together, using nuts as spacers until the sealant sets.
At this point here is where I like to vac/psi test the engine! Great job!!

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are a brave soul Joe for tackling one of these, I avoid these models like the plague, but I would feel much better now about tackling 1 now, if I had to. Great thread.

I started out on the clam shells. I remember these types of threads from AS (and the guy playing the Elvis music in the background of videos of them as well :cool:). Maybe some of the long time AS members can help me recall -- wasn't there a clam shell tear down/reassemble competition at a get together many moons ago? The object was to see who could disassemble and reassemble one of these the fastest.

I managed to buy my first clam shell at a yard sale, the rest is history I reckon. This thread is great. After looking at the seals I wondered if you were going to replace them with the clam shell together. Did my eyes fool me or are those the "hard" seals. Great thread and great information. Clam shells are big sellers around here for homeowners and firewood cutters. Threads like this have helped me a lot on various models. Thanks for posting!

Last edited:

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That saw seems like its had little use. Is it normal to have to reseal this series with such little use? Did it have a airleak? Or is it a prevention type of thing? Nice work you make it look so easy!!!

This saw actually has an AM replacement piston and cylinder on it. Whoever did it used a sealant that was not fuel resistant, the entire engine pan was leaking badly.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started out on the clam shells. I remember these types of threads from AS (and the guy playing the Elvis music in the background of videos of them as well :cool:). I managed to buy my first clam shell at a yard sale, the rest is history I reckon. This thread is great. After looking at the seals I wondered if you were going to replace them with the clam shell together. Did my eyes fool me or are those the "hard" seals. Great thread and great information. Clam shells are big sellers around here for homeowners and firewood cutters.

The ones I showed the Part Number for were in fact the hard ones. My Stihl dealer sent them by mistake. I exchanged them for the regular ones but didn't think to get the part number. :BangHead:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
5:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ones I showed the Part Number for were in fact the hard ones. My Stihl dealer sent them by mistake. I exchanged them for the regular ones but didn't think to get the part number. :BangHead:

Can you clarify what hard seals mean please?

And thanks again for the sweet build thread.