So what did you do today?

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We cut up and processed the deer I shot last Saturday. We got it ground and in the freezer. Then I sighted my muzzleloader some more and I'm completely frustrated with it. I fired it 10 times today and cleaned the barrel between every shot including removing the breech plug, etc. It's still shooting a random pattern. Off the bullseye by as much as 5" at 50 yards. Not acceptable. I'm not taking it on the pig/deer hunt on Ossabaw Island next week. I'll practice up with my .44 magnum revolver as that's a permitted weapon too. (bow, muzzleloader or handgun)

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I presume you tried different projectiles and loads?

I have a CVA Accura with the stainless Bergara Barrel. Shoots very well with 2 Triple 7 magnum pellets and the Hornady 250 gr SST saboted slug. Got a tremendous discount on it when they were coming out with the newer version that did not require a tool to remove the breach plug.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have a CVA Accura with the stainless Bergara Barrel. Shoots very well with 2 Triple 7 magnum pellets and the Hornady 250 gr SST saboted slug. Got a tremendous discount on it when they were coming out with the newer version that did not require a tool to remove the breach plug.
I have only been using 2 50 gr pyrodex pellets and 240 gr saboted bullets. Pretty standard loading for .50 cal black powder.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saturday...

20181013_130228.jpg

Today

20181017_093717.jpg

I got this 391 as a basket case, just needed to clean up the cylinder and install a new piston. I don't expect I will keep it but I will use it a bit before I move it along.

20181017_093728.jpg

By the way, that is locust...great firewood.

Mark

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have only been using 2 50 gr pyrodex pellets and 240 gr saboted bullets. Pretty standard loading for .50 cal black powder.

I would try different bullets/sabots to see if your rifling likes anything. Every now and then a gun won't like a specific bullet for unexplained reasons.

Or, perhaps the batch of bullets you rec'd were dropped during shipment and are not concentric. Stuff happens.

Good Luck with it, and your hunt.

I like the challenge of MZ hunting, makes me feel like the Hunters from yesteryear with their Sharps and Hi Walls. One shot, large bore, accurate, great stopping power!

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have the newer cva you speak of with the nitrite coating.
I shoot 150gr of Jim Shocky gold and 250 barnes tmz
Very good accuracy out to 200-250yrds

Some of the muzzle loaders can be finicky.
If using ffg loose try raising or lowering by 10grs.
Thats what I had to do on my Remington genesis.
My 2 cents

Sent from Hoskey Hills

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did some reading on the inaccuracy of muzzle loaders and apparently it's a common problem. I'm going to have to experiment around with different loadings I guess. I probably won't have time to acquire and try different stuff in the very few days I have left. Guess I should have started months ago... If I can find some options, I'll try different powder loads and maybe a heavier bullet. I have tried two different bullets but they were both the same weight. (one jacketed hollow point and one lead hollow point.) I had a Ruger Mini-14 some years ago that would shoot all over the target and after trying everything I could think of, I sold the gun. I have no tolerance for inaccuracy in a firearm. It would be like a chainsaw that only runs sometimes. lol.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did some reading on the inaccuracy of muzzle loaders and apparently it's a common problem. I'm going to have to experiment around with different loadings I guess. I probably won't have time to acquire and try different stuff in the very few days I have left. Guess I should have started months ago... If I can find some options, I'll try different powder loads and maybe a heavier bullet. I have tried two different bullets but they were both the same weight. (one jacketed hollow point and one lead hollow point.) I had a Ruger Mini-14 some years ago that would shoot all over the target and after trying everything I could think of, I sold the gun. I have no tolerance for inaccuracy in a firearm. It would be like a chainsaw that only runs sometimes. lol.
What are you cleaning the barrel with? And are you using any protectant after you clean it? I have a TC encore and was using TC bore butter to prevent the barrel from rusting. I apparently used too much of it because I lost all accuracy. I sent the barrel back to TC and they cleaned it out somehow and sent it back shooting perfectly

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Different twists will prefer different weight or profile or velocity of bullets. Also, many sabot (or not) options to MZ shooters.

If you have a chance, try something with a very different profile.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And yes, clean counts, my gun is only accurate for 2, maybe 3 shots. I use warm water to clean, then protect with a light coat of WD 40, which I remove with dry patches before I shoot. Oil will screw up your shooting.

Last edited:

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And yes, clean counts, my gun is only accurate for 2, maybe 3 shots. I use warm water to clean, the protect with a light coat of WD 40, which I remove with dry patches before I shoot. Oil will screw up your shooting.

I'm in PA, so we have to use flintlock (can't remove breach plug). Cleaning is a BEAR. I draw 2-3" of hot water in the bathtub, remove the barrel from the action, unscrew the touch hole, and submerge the barrel in the hot water. Then, I clean with blue Dawn detergent on a brass cleaning brush, in the hot water. Rinse 10x to get all the schmutz out, then dry on a heat vent. After it dries overnight, I clean with Hoppes on a patch, then apply a light coat of Rem Oil.

My barrel is clean, though...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm in PA, so we have to use flintlock

I feel for ya, the Inline ones that use the shotgun primer are so much more reliable. Also, NY recently allowed crossbow, and I got my first Crossbow deer last year. The don't shoot much flatter than a bow, but they are accurate and hit harder, and you are "locked + loaded" in your stand, an advantage.

But right now is regular bow season!

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’m so glad Alabama doesn’t care about guns. It isn’t the most fun free state but we can have anything from Barrett 50 cal to machine guns if you go through the proper steps. Can’t hunt with machine guns obviously but they were working on allowing silencers to hunt so the hunter didn’t have to wear ear protection and provides an overall safer experience for everyone IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m so glad Alabama doesn’t care about guns. It isn’t the most fun free state but we can have anything from Barrett 50 cal to machine guns if you go through the proper steps. Can’t hunt with machine guns obviously but they were working on allowing silencers to hunt so the hunter didn’t have to wear ear protection and provides an overall safer experience for everyone IMO.

You could hunt with a machine gun in Kansas, just make sure you only have a 3 shot mag lol.

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You could hunt with a machine gun in Kansas, just make sure you only have a 3 shot mag lol.

I’m really not sure if you could here or not, just guessing you couldn’t. You can with an AR as long as you have a 5 round mag, so I guess it’s possible maybe. Never going to own an automatic just because of the price so I’ve never looked into it.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

We are legally able to hunt with Suppressors in Georgia: I believe since 2017.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Great Analogy Mr. H.

What rifle & bullet combo are you currently shooting?

What twist is your barrel?

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great Analogy Mr. H.

What rifle & bullet combo are you currently shooting?

What twist is your barrel?
I don't know my barrel's twist. I've been shooting two 50 gr. pyrodex pellets and 240 gr hollowpoint all lead bullet in a sabot. Just got back from the store with different stuff and going to give it another go before I run this thing over with my Bobcat. Oh, never mind, the Bobcat's out of service.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sharpening fish knives today. Cleaned 10 nice trout and a few reds.
Reds are biting good. find any creek at low tide then follow the water up with the tide.
The reds will be going up with the water.
Trout are all over but the big ones are only in a few spots.
We had 10 trout over 18" to clean.