furb

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you showed too much 😉 now we'll be curious about the rest 😎
I struggled for years with minimal tools and cheap tools. Three years ago I decided if I think I’ll need it and can afford it I’m buying it. I still to get some other tools but have most hand tools I need for now. Garages are so expensive now that it makes the tool cost break even. I have a lot of duplicates in my other box to sell.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I struggled for years with minimal tools and cheap tools. Three years ago I decided if I think I’ll need it and can afford it I’m buying it. I still to get some other tools but have most hand tools I need for now. Garages are so expensive now that it makes the tool cost break even. I have a lot of duplicates in my other box to sell.
I also have 10 Knipex pieces, only mine are cheap and used, they were manufactured a long time ago, but I think they will be usable for a long time.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
10:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have 2 knipex wire cutters. Ridiculously expensive, but by far the best quality.

furb

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have 2 knipex wire cutters. Ridiculously expensive, but by far the best quality.
If you ever need to replace them try the NWS fantastico cutters. I think the beat all the others. They cutter 4 awg solid copper like it’s nothing.

furb

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also have 10 Knipex pieces, only mine are cheap and used, they were manufactured a long time ago, but I think they will be usable for a long time.
You never see used Knipex stuff around at flea markets or yard sales or I’d be buying them up. You post a lot of good used tool. Here it’s tough. It seems like everyone priced them at eBay prices. We could get Knipex cheaper through Mr Worker but I waited to place an order with them and after I got some stuff they lost the ability to sell Knipex to the US. I was at the Krakow flea market and saw some neat stuff but I wasn’t sure what I could bring on the plane home.

Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
8:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So here in Europe we pay about 25$ for Knipex Cobra 250 mm (87 02 250).
How's the price level in the United States of America?

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You never see used Knipex stuff around at flea markets or yard sales or I’d be buying them up. You post a lot of good used tool. Here it’s tough. It seems like everyone priced them at eBay prices. We could get Knipex cheaper through Mr Worker but I waited to place an order with them and after I got some stuff they lost the ability to sell Knipex to the US. I was at the Krakow flea market and saw some neat stuff but I wasn’t sure what I could bring on the plane home.
My friend tried to take a petrol saw on the plane 😎🤠 and he succeeded, only they told him to throw away the liquids / of course not in hand luggage

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a very nice knifeIMG_20240405_150018~2.jpgIMG_20240405_150044.jpg
I liked it so much i ordered another of their knives.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sherriltree hooked me again with their clearance and outlet section, combined with a 20% discount.

Ordered a couple full-brim hardhats, 5lb spool of 0.105 trimmer line, replacement tip for sugihara bar, 6x 72LPX chains (3/8, 050, 72dl @9.99 ea), rope-sleeve, OR .325 tie-strap pack, Knots At Work by Jeff Jepson, and a few other small odds and ends.

Tried to get some other stuff, but they were already sold out, including the 68dl 3/8 050 k095 Husqy bars with replaceable tip (bought one a couple weeks ago not knowing what tip-type, but they sold out right after mine arrived.)

furb

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scrap yard buys. The knickerbocker was painted over and you could only see some of the original graphics showing through laying in the pile. The scale guy saved me the Franklin one and the grapple guy saved me the handle. Got a horror freight trailer dolly with flat tires to hopefully be able to move my splitter.

2CA11B7B-C588-4171-A584-E31EADDD99CF.jpeg

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fell down a rabbit hole. In my area for what ever reason I have trouble getting *s-wordake (S-H-I-I-T_a_Ke) mushrooms, and of course it's usually when I want to make something that calls for them. So I decided to google mushroom growing, I thought to myself I have somewhat of a green thumb.

What seemed easy at first I got over whelmed as soon as I figured out there were so many strains of the same species. Not like oh three different common varieties of oyster. No like sub categories to those varieties. At that point I just ended up calling the second company I was looking at and they were a great deal of help and they had a special going on. They had pretty specific listing on compatible woods for their mushrooms and strains and I was worried about it being live oak. Thankfully they had customers in the coastal south and they were well aware of it and I'd probably see an additional two to three months for it to start fruiting.

I also didn't realize how little of wood I needed, Diameter (3 inches on the small side). If I had known I would have started this years ago. All the small limbs that I either chipped or burned I would have saved to make mushrooms lol.

Also the special going on (What I bought), it's this. If you are interested I would recommend the thumb tool version and you can make note of what strain of mushroom/strain you want. (Be aware some mushrooms from my limited research can be pretty picky)
The reason for the thumb tool is you can either use it as a thumb tool or palm it with a slight trade off in comfort, and I don't see the getting my thumb over the palm version. It may say $15 but for me the shipping was about $20 if I didn't do that. So I saved quite a bit.

And yeah. the grinder attachment was an absolute god send. I knew it was going to be faster. But running it I was blowing through the logs and I'm thankful I went that route vs sitting there will a drill.

I didn't take much photos but those logs were about a quarter of what I still need to do from my pile (I got the delivery in the evening) I'm going to finish out the rest tomorrow and I still have quite a bit of the sawdust spawn left. I'm also going to see if I can use some of the spawn and make a "Starter batch" I'm wondering if I can use chips or worst case take a circular saw and make dust then introduce some of the spawn.
So I can continue this for the future hardwoods I cut down.

EDIT: it didn't like the species name lmao.

Attachments

• PXL_20240406_203602215.jpg
    PXL_20240406_203602215.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20240406_203609028.jpg
    PXL_20240406_203609028.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240406_221640293.jpg
    PXL_20240406_221640293.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: