High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Silvey Razor Sharp II set up questions

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I can not seem to get the angles on the wheel correct, I am about to sell this thing and go back to hand filling!

Grrr....

I keep getting beak on the cutter. Is this a stone dressing issue, or something with the wheel/slide height or chain stop?

BTW... I have never used a square grinder before, so I am going at all this kind of blind.

Thanks

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can not seem to get the angles on the wheel correct, I am about to sell this thing and go back to hand filling!

Grrr....

I keep getting beak on the cutter. Is this a stone dressing issue, or something with the wheel/slide height or chain stop?

BTW... I have never used a square grinder before, so I am going at all this kind of blind.

Thanks
Top or side?

EvilRoySlade

What’s my line?
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am so tempted... This is frustrating.
My advice, step away for a bit. Go eat dinner, relax. Walk back out and stare at it, think about what you’re trying to achieve. Go back in and sit down again, let your brain chew on it for a bit.

Then go back out with a note pad. Make drawings, take measurements, document your changes and how they affected your cutter.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To answer your question, the corner is the corner. The Shape or dressing of the wheel affects the angles on the tooth and forward lean. The beak is going to be caused by how far into the wheel the tooth goes, and the track or path of the feed. Now, understand that I have a swing arm, so beaks are made or avoided by how far the tooth is pressed into the wheel, or how far down the chain holder radius that tooth is.

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
To answer your question, the corner is the corner. The Shape or dressing of the wheel affects the angles on the tooth and forward lean. The beak is going to be caused by how far into the wheel the tooth goes, and the track or path of the feed. Now, understand that I have a swing arm, so beaks are made or avoided by how far the tooth is pressed into the wheel, or how far down the chain holder radius that tooth is.
Ok, That's what I figured.

I need to see someone else's set up, so I have something to reference.

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My advice, step away for a bit. Go eat dinner, relax. Walk back out and stare at it, think about what you’re trying to achieve. Go back in and sit down again, let your brain chew on it for a bit.

Then go back out with a note pad. Make drawings, take measurements, document your changes and how they affected your cutter.
Yep, I am done for today... I'll go at it again next weekend.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How long of a chain did you grind and did you dress lightly for the 2nd side?

I never was happy with the RS2. I sold all 3 I had. The one with the roller bearing slide was the best but I still prefer a swing arm.

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How long of a chain did you grind and did you dress lightly for the 2nd side?
I haven't even got through one side... I couldn't figure how to adjust the beak out. I'll try some more adjustments next weekend.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't even got through one side... I couldn't figure how to adjust the beak out. I'll try some more adjustments next weekend.
Corner of the stone could be gone and need a touch up. If that's not it you may have to squeeze the chain with the off hand to hold it down on the guide tight so it hits the same spot.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
2:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Turn the stops screws so they stop the slide to start with at the corner with wheel not spinning ,get the corner lined up with the stone ,then turn ot on and adjust the stops so it grinds the tooth ,then pull the chain off and see which way need to go on the stops ,once happy with first tooth ,stops will be set and can do the rest of that side of the chain

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Side. Corner is too low.

Top beak is from having the cutter advanced to far on the chain holder or not going deep enough with the slide. Solution, back the chain advance off a touch, turn out slide stop to plunge the cutter into the stone farther.

Side beak is opposite. If you like the amount of material you are taking off then it's plunging the slide too much, turn the slide stop in about 1/2 turn to reduce the amount the chain is plunging into the wheel.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey have you cut with a chain you ground yet...:I can’t remember, but don’t you have a round grinder too....

So you prefer to use the square chain in hard wood as opposed to semi- chisel or fullchisel chain....

I have a USG and Oregon and of course hand file.....I go back and forth about getting a square grinder, but in the end I can never justify it....

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey have you cut with a chain you ground yet...:I can’t remember, but don’t you have a round grinder too....

So you prefer to use the square chain in hard wood as opposed to semi- chisel or fullchisel chain....

I have a USG and Oregon and of course hand file.....I go back and forth about getting a square grinder, but in the end I can never justify it....

I did cut with it, cuts well enough, but I know I can get things dialed in better.

Yes, I have a round grinder also. I prefer square for everything, cuts much better, holds up longer.
I only cut firewood, usually only a pick up load at a time, the square ground will last several trips, where round ground only one or two trips between sharpening.

If I had not got such a good deal on the Silvey, I couldn't justify it for the amount of cutting I do. I could just keep on hand filling.

I plan to offer square grinding services to others once I get it dialed in.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did cut with it, cuts well enough, but I know I can get things dialed in better.

Yes, I have a round grinder also. I prefer square for everything, cuts much better, holds up longer.
I only cut firewood, usually only a pick up load at a time, the square ground will last several trips, where round ground only one or two trips between sharpening.

If I had not got such a good deal on the Silvey, I couldn't justify it for the amount of cutting I do. I could just keep on hand filling.

I plan to offer square grinding services to others once I get it dialed in.
Thanks for detailed reply....I got 2-loops of Oregon square that I need to try out....I have never ran square ground....

After experimenting with all kinds of different hands filing and grinding angles, you learn a lot about the cutters/Chains in general....it makes since that a square chain with the proper angels would hold up longer that a round ground/filed chain....the square chain has a less exaggerated cutter tip....

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How much?
I am thinking $10 a chain, any size, depth gauges set also.
I am trying to figure out an economical way to have people ship me chains. Best way would be if they send several at a time.
I am try to work out the details to offer new Stihl 33RSL chain that I grind before sending out.