Crush it
Local time
10:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You got it.

Great pics and videos Brian. Very nice.
Thanks ,I am still a rookie ,focus was not the greatest ,trying to watch my corners and film one handed was a little tricky ,but it gives a general idea how the grinder works ,i really like the new slide kit ,way more adjustments than the stock one .

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've also got a silvey RSII with one of shawns V2 slider kits. I need to get a pair of new chain guides sometime.
I haven't used my grinder much yet. It's got a couple issues I need to address but from the little I've used it I can say that it does make a really nice looking cutter.
Takes a little bit of tweaking with different stuff ,reader glasses help get the corners better when grinding angles by the eye ,there is no real angles marked anywhere like the round grinders so it is trial and error till you are happy ,grind look grind look until you are happy then set the stops and keep going .

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
1:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Takes a little bit of tweaking with different stuff ,reader glasses help get the corners better when grinding angles by the eye ,there is no real angles marked anywhere like the round grinders so it is trial and error till you are happy ,grind look grind look until you are happy then set the stops and keep going .
I'm pretty sure my grinder got knocked over at some point before I got it. The motor doesn't sit properly on the base so the wheel is actually tilted. I get my LH cutters looking bad ass and then when I do the RH they're all messed up and I have to readjust everything. Big pain in the azz. It's impossible to get the LH and RH cutters to look anywhere close to the same. IMG_6004.JPGIMG_6005.JPGIMG_6006.JPG

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty sure my grinder got knocked over at some point before I got it. The motor doesn't sit properly on the base so the wheel is actually tilted. I get my LH cutters looking bad ass and then when I do the RH they're all messed up and I have to readjust everything. Big pain in the azz. It's impossible to get the LH and RH cutters to look anywhere close to the same. View attachment 100890View attachment 100891View attachment 100892
have you measured from the top of the cast plate to the wheel to see if the motor is off tilt ?the lower cast part looks tighter on the left ,but i would not go by that ,the top should be more flat ,do you have the new slide kit installed also ? or using the old one still ?

Canadian farm boy

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
have you measured from the top of the cast plate to the wheel to see if the motor is off tilt ?the lower cast part looks tighter on the left ,but i would not go by that ,the top should be more flat ,do you have the new slide kit installed also ? or using the old one still ?
Almost an 1/8" difference. The new slider kit is on.

Canadian farm boy

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually I think you have bigger problems than just shimming the motor. In this picture it looks like your motor will have to be torn down and have the bottom cap re-seated in the case properly.
This is what I was thinking. I may take it apart tonight and see if I can do something with it.

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, there is one set screw. You have to take off the stone to be able to get to it. Once the set screw is loose you should be able to move the arbor on the motor shaft pretty easily.

Perfect! Thanks

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
some pics and video of my setup ,the pics were taken with milling grind setup ,set all the way back on the top bolt adjustment ,for logging/firewood i move it more forward to get more hook and aggressive cutter ,i will post 2 demo vids ,grey wheel is for milling ,blue wheel is for reg logging/firewood grind .View attachment 100878 View attachment 100879 View attachment 100880
View attachment 100881 View attachment 100882

Thanks!

If I get time tonight I’ll move the stone up, tgstvis definitely where I’m off.

Thanks again for the pictures and video, that helps.

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
FC021D83-2179-42B1-A4FE-E96A1BE8603C.jpeg Ok, made the adjustments.

Looks like I have either a bent arbor or bent collar. The wheel has some wobble which causes it to cut lower than I’d like into the side plate, and prevents me form getting the depth gauge as close as I’d like to the wheel, to keep the cutter flat.

Anyhow, here is the first grind.

Last edited:

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess I can't figure out this picture thing... ugh....

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Travis, are you using "upload a file" at the bottom of the reply box?

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Travis, Once you "upload a file" to the post, you will have the option to use "full image" or "thumbnail".

There are two little boxes just to the right of the small preview image. Click the one that says Full Image.

There is a delete option if you picked the wrong file or something at the far right.
photo-4.JPG
Then, click "post reply" and it should put it right in your post.

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Travis, Once you "upload a file" to the post, you will have the option to use "full image" or "thumbnail".

There are two little boxes just to the right of the small preview image. Click the one that says Full Image.

There is a delete option if you picked the wrong file or something at the far right.
View attachment 101529
Then, click "post reply" and it should put it right in your post.

Got it! Thanks!

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 101451 Ok, made the adjustments.

Looks like I have either a bent arbor or bent collar. The wheel has some wobble which causes it to cut lower than I’d like into the side plate, and prevents me form getting the depth gauge as close as I’d like to the wheel, to keep the cutter flat.

Anyhow, here is the first grind.
That's lookin' pretty sweet to me...Try to find and fix whatever is causing the wheel to wobble. Does it make the whole grinder vibrate?

Last edited:

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's lookin' pretty sweet to me...Try to find and fix whatever is causing the wheel to wobble. Does it mike the whole grinder vibrate?
Nah, the grinder is pretty solid. The wheel just goes up and down as it rotates.
I’ve had some guys tell me that is normal, that these wheels aren’t always perfectly flat.
I’m goin to try and dress the bottom of the wheel next, to see if it improves.
I’ll be offing some new wheels too, maybe they will be flatter.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There may be a sweet spot if you re-index it on the arbor. Might also try some paper shimming around the hub flange.