High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Show off your muffler mods

A

ADMO services

On old transformer machines the HF stays on all the time, but it's such an insignificant amount of amps that it's pretty much negligible during welding. On newer inverter machines, they are smart enough to shut it off after the arc is establish.

I've welded chainsaw mufflers with both types and noticed no difference in any cleaning action.

Things that do matter are:
Surface prep, and don't forget your backside!
Minimum amp arc starts, 5 amps is almost too much on the edge of 20g sheet metal.
Proper gas coverage, remember that you probably should be back purging it... but ain't no one got time for that.
Using a gas lens over a collet. Even better are champagne cups or large cups with diffusers.
Pulse... if you have large runs.
Small diameter filler.

Back to it... 572XP muff mod, you can't get any taller than that!

View attachment 220968 View attachment 220969
It was an old Lincoln sails gimmick perhaps but others did it as well having the ability to turn up the hf intensity in the intention to clean. Mine has this intensity adjustment. To me I can tell a difference when it’s all the way up. But like I’ve said my way is not the only way. And it’s an old welder thing saying it helps to clean. Does it? Who knows? But I thought it was worth talking about. And you for sure would be very aggravated trying to scratch start a muffler and getting ark burn marks on your surface you are trying to weld. All great points brought up by everyone. I wasn’t trying to argue so I must clear that up.

Outdoors

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn’t waste your time unless you get one with high frequency to clean the porosity that you will be drawing out from inside the muffler. If you’re already brazing them it makes a much cleaner looking joint. I tig mine and it comes out nice but you really have to have patience and let the high freq do it’s cleaning and just dab little at a time. Not saying you can’t do it wouldn’t high freq, just saying you will draw porosity through the metal and that will take some more tricks to remove and make it look nice. Like some thin stainless tie wire can draw porosity out but it’s another aggravating process to deal with. If your already doing quality brazing there’s nothing wrong with that at all!

Have you ever tried silver solder ? I question the durability of the solder.

A

ADMO services

I can say this about silver solder though. My grandfather made a stainless steel ring out of a bolt and soldered his flight wings on it when he was in the navy aboard the Uss Yorktown and he was wearing it when he was in the battle of coral sea and midway when it sank and he abandoned ship swimming miles around and sometimes through burning oil. He was a machinist and used his hands constantly. He wore it until he died 14 years ago and my dad now wears it still intact. And one day it will be mine then my sons. If it ever breaks off I’ll solder it back on since I’m positive it will hold through some abuse.