heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am sending more and more packages these days, mostly small, medium, and large flat rate boxes but the occasional larger item as well (power head, bar, etc.).

I recently send a CP125 power head to Oregon and it cost over $100. I have someone in Idaho now that would like a saw case for a PM6 (small saw) but based on the USPS shipping calculator it would cost $90 plus.

Is there a reasonable alternative out there? Has anyone tried Pirate Shipping? Does is actually save any?

Thanks,

Mark

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am sending more and more packages these days, mostly small, medium, and large flat rate boxes but the occasional larger item as well (power head, bar, etc.).

I recently send a CP125 power head to Oregon and it cost over $100. I have someone in Idaho now that would like a saw case for a PM6 (small saw) but based on the USPS shipping calculator it would cost $90 plus.

Is there a reasonable alternative out there? Has anyone tried Pirate Shipping? Does is actually save any?

Thanks,

Mark

Costs the same as through Shipstation from PayPal, which does save money on shipping.

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Mark (and Kevin and Randy)!

This may get a bit long-winded, but I'm working from the little memory I have left.

(Unabridged version)
Rule #1: Stay away from USPS Flat Rate Boxes unless your item fits and is REALLY heavy.

USPS First Class is your best bang for items 16 oz and less.

Then from 1 pound up to about 8 pounds Regional Rate Box B works well.

Then, regular old USPS Priority Mail is your ticket to about 25 pounds.

(Now the fun starts) Depending upon the destination, you'll need to compare rates across the 'Big 3' shippers. I have found that if sending USPS to the Westernmost 8 states, the costs climb real high real quick. FEDEX and UPS not so quick.

I also work the system a bit:
I have a USPS account for 'normal' stuff I'm not too cost-conscious about (I really save nothing).
I also have used www.paypal.com/shipnow (which goes to Ship Station)
I also go to my past eBay sales and re-print a label from a sold item. Just update with new info and go; you do pay the discounted eBay rate.

An hour ago I dropped off a 19 pound box headed for California: $57 ... ouch.

I hope this helps!

As ever ..

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For powerheads (with as 16 or 18 bar) I’ve been using FedX ground or Home.

It’s a 16” x 12” x 12” & 20-23 # in most cases.

The box itself I get from Uhaul at a buck ea..

Cost has been $24-$28, but it’s been a while.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn’t there use to a deal where you could ship stuff between Fastenal locations on a space available basis? As I recall it was a good deal for larger and heavier things.

Don’t remember the details, but it was mentioned or discussed on A.S. a long time back.

Philbert

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Beaglebriar sent me a whole ass jonsered 2166 through PayPal it was only 23.00
I was surprised
But that was a few years ago.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can ship a saw pho anywhere in the lower 48 for under $35 with my ups account.
Pirateship sounds like it's worth looking into.
Paying retail to ship stuff is outright robbery.....

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked into the Fastenal shipping option several times, they were never very competitive.

I will look into Pirate Ship next week if I can make some time available. It did appear that the shipping time is longer using that option.

Thanks all for your input. When I was working I could just take the larger packages in and ship them with the company discounts, that was quite convenient and very cost effective. Sadly I cannot continue to do that.

Mark

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know the cost of shipping to Europe?

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fastenal will not ship to the Western states from my location in the Midwest anymore. Theres a regional area they stop at now. I used to buy and sell large vintage Simplicity garden tractors and various tractor attachments such as sickle bars so thats how I know that. Shipping these items is where the Fastenal service shines. I have sent various saws all over and would have to say from the shopping quotes I got Fed ex was the best option for me. I am curious about Pirateship and the Paypal service you guys speak of. Never have heard of them.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Partner, it all depends on the size of the package and the method of shipping. I recently sent a small padded envelope (150x150x40 mm) to Spain via first class mail and it cost around $25. Priority would have cost around $55 or more but would include insurance up to $100 and tracking all the way to the final destination. Shipping a small saw in a box would be $150 to $200 using their parcel post, non priority service.

Mark