Setting Bearing Depth

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We all know (or will soon) how important it is to set the proper crank bearing depth on certain saws. Especially the 044/440, where using the oil pump as a positive bearing stop is necessary.

That being said, I will soon be assembling a 266XPee.
I'm unsure, so I'm gonna ask......is there a proper depth at which to set the bearings here? It's been over or close to a year or so since I split the cases and removed the bearings. I can't remember the depth or if that is important.
Normally......on most saws where depth isn't pertinent, I'll set them flush with the inside of the case.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can if you want. If it's plastic bearing cages I seat them on the crank first. If they're steel I can put a heat gun on them after I drop them in the case and the crank slides in.

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can if you want. If it's plastic bearing cages I seat them on the crank first. If they're steel I can put a heat gun on them after I drop them in the case and the crank slides in.
Well this is how I normally do things, but other than the oiler, there is no "stop".

I'm questioning if there is a proper depth for the PTO side of the 266.......like the 044/440

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On most, if not all Stihl FW side case halves, I can heat the case, drop the bearing in and let it sink home. No so much on the PTO side

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well this is how I normally do things, but other than the oiler, there is no "stop".

I'm questioning if there is a proper depth for the PTO side of the 266.......like the 044/440

I don't remember myself. That's why I said crank first so if the crank is seated on the starter side it can't be too far out. The oiler I think will set the depth on the 266/272/288/385/395

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
good questions Jeremy...
I been thinking the same things about the Stihl cases...I realize everyone uses the oiler as a stop but what difference does it make if the inner is flush to the crank ? yes the flywheel side has a "stop" but as long as it out of the crank what interference is happening ? then again why cant a regular bearing go on the PTO side ? as long as its sealed and not in the way of the crank ? that "extra" little lip on the proprietary bearing does what ?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
good questions Jeremy...
I been thinking the same things about the Stihl cases...I realize everyone uses the oiler as a stop but what difference does it make if the inner is flush to the crank ? yes the flywheel side has a "stop" but as long as it out of the crank what interference is happening ? then again why cant a regular bearing go on the PTO side ? as long as its sealed and not in the way of the crank ? that "extra" little lip on the proprietary bearing does what ?

Holds the seal doesn't it?

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perfect thread as I just posted about a bearing depth issue on AS.
The proprietary bearing on stihl saws allows for proper oiler function. Itd be great to have a generic bearing fit and be able to be sealed.
I like 1122 bearings and how they seat vs. 1125 or 1128.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 385/390 bearing should fit. They're both 6203 size just with different seal set ups. The stihl parts are cheaper at my dealer than the husky bearings anyway.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Perfect thread as I just posted about a bearing depth issue on AS.
The proprietary bearing on stihl saws allows for proper oiler function. Itd be great to have a generic bearing fit and be able to be sealed.
I like 1122 bearings and how they seat vs. 1125 or 1128.

how does the proprietary bearing affect the oiler ? got to go dig one out to check..(I got a 1128 apart now)

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
sure does Mike, the proprietary seal....but would a "different/generic" bearing and seal work as well is what I was pondering.
I think it would work.