Saw video thread

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wrap handles take up more room, add more weight, and make it harder to "flush cut" a stump on a lawn, so they are not real popular in the East.

But I do like running square file chain, as it let's you do everything well, including milling!

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wrap handles take up more room, add more weight, and making harder to "flush cut" a stump on a lawn, so they are not real popular in the East.

But I do like running square file chain, as it let's you do everything well, including milling!

I’ve always heard that argument but what do you loose 1/2”? With a stump of that height you could of gone lower no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wrap handles take up more room, add more weight, and making harder to "flush cut" a stump on a lawn, so they are not real popular in the East.

I’ve always heard that argument but what do you loose 1/2”? With a stump of that height you could of gone lower no problem.

I'm mostly doing residential tree work. I don't like to flush cut. If the customer wants to mow without worry, I talk them into grinding it out. For the ones just wanting a low stump, I have other saws. I'm not a pro faller, in that I don't do it consistently. I do when I can though. I've yet to use the 3/4 here but like how my Rattler balances on the ''off'' side. I need to get a longer bar for it. Borrowed a 24 off my 461 and the dollie's dawgs take up some bar reality.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You loose a lot more than 1/2", heck the handle diameter is more than that! When you are trying to get it low enough for a lawn mower to go over it, and inch or two matters a great deal.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well just saving the person stump grinding an inch or two is appreciated. The solution is very simple though, have 2 of the same saws ,top wrap ,one full wrap!
The Super 1050A Homelite is one of my favorite saws especially for grunt when cutting big stumps but it is rare to see a full wrap come up for sale , so when I found one I automatically had to have 2 1050s.20210623_192324.jpg

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a wrap handle for the 572 because its meant for felling, I never fancied them for general use but if'n its strictly for felling it works quite well. I prefer the half wrap most though. Gonna be cutting some things soon, hope to have the 346, Solo and 064 out.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wrap handles take up more room, add more weight, and make it harder to "flush cut" a stump on a lawn, so they are not real popular in the East.

Flush cutting stumps has nothing to do with why wrap handles aren't as common on the east coast.

It's because the terrain that wood is harvested from is different.

People flush cut stumps in their yard just the same. Why does it matter what side of the United States you live on ? A yard is a yard. A stump is a stump.

A residential tree service is gonna grind them out just the same. Maine to Washington makes no difference.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm mostly doing residential tree work. I don't like to flush cut. If the customer wants to mow without worry, I talk them into grinding it out. For the ones just wanting a low stump, I have other saws. I'm not a pro faller, in that I don't do it consistently. I do when I can though. I've yet to use the 3/4 here but like how my Rattler balances on the ''off'' side. I need to get a longer bar for it. Borrowed a 24 off my 461 and the dollie's dawgs take up some bar reality.

I'm sure I've ground 500 stumps in my life, maybe more.

I don't like to cut them so low you start chewing on dirt. There's no benefit to that, that's why Stump Grinders exist.

Only on the internet.

I swear.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well just saving the person stump grinding an inch or two is appreciated. The solution is very simple though, have 2 of the same saws ,top wrap ,one full wrap!
The Super 1050A Homelite is one of my favorite saws especially for grunt when cutting big stumps but it is rare to see a full wrap come up for sale , so when I found one I automatically had to have 2 1050s.View attachment 300645

With any respectable stump grinder 2 inches more of wood (depending on the size of the tree) isn't adding any more work worth mentioning. That's a couple passes with the wheel.

Big deal.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With any respectable stump grinder 2 inches more of wood (depending on the size of the tree) isn't adding any more work worth mentioning. That's a couple passes with the wheel.

Big deal.
4012 Carlton 2005 model with the kohler 27hp gas. She's used and abused.
Being that its state park shared it sees multiple users and doesn't make money.
Half the time its an impromptu instruction class when I drop it off and then have to go on to more expensive things, so after they plow the freshly sharpened teeth through some rocks the process can become tedious.
We're a little bit different from the private sector.

Yeah , big deal

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flush cutting stumps has nothing to do with why wrap handles aren't as common on the east coast.

It's because the terrain that wood is harvested from is different.

People flush cut stumps in their yard just the same. Why does it matter what side of the United States you live on ? A yard is a yard. A stump is a stump.

A residential tree service is gonna grind them out just the same. Maine to Washington makes no difference.
True, I don't get it? , its not like there's no mountains on the east coast.