Saw video thread

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm open minded … others can do what they want … does not mean I have to follow. I won't tell others not to do it.

I hate loose chains, and I hate having a chain come off the bar. Often the drive links get damaged, and it is lots of work to make them useable again.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 461 has a roller catch. I *s-wordt a chain off last week and still boogered the dL’s
Better than damaging cutters. Usually a piss rev with a loose chain smooths the burrs of the DL. But not always if it’s real bad.

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't run my big saw in a few months, and all this recent talk and research of porting for me makes me question my saw's abilities, so I had to check and make sure.

Not bad, I'm still happy with it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w5EY64_qvBc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18" Ash wood (under the bark), 8t rim, 20" Stihl skip

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Skip: so it doesn't take as long to sharpen, and to experiment if I could get it to cut faster. Maybe on a long bar, but I find it's been equal to or a bit slower on short bars. Now I have a bunch of 20" skips to use up. That particular chain started out with the depth gauges low enough to put a max load on the saw in a 20" cut without having to use any pressure, maybe even holding it back a bit. I have since sharpened it a bit because it was a bit too aggressive (frequently stalled in oak when making face cuts), it works pretty well now, I have more control over cut speed and rpm. It's my bucking chain, no bore cuts even remotely possible. Just a different "gearing" than normal chain, similar results, different handling.

There was risk of rain, so I had my 1080p camera around 50ft away in the garage with like 25x zoom. I like to line up with the end of the log and zoom in for more accurate timing. 112dBA for bystanders (you see the sound meter in the video).

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Skip is generally used on bars longer than 20". Like 32 through 36" length. I am only trying to help. I personally think your saw will cut faster using full chisel, full comp chain when using a 20" 3/8 bar with a saw that size.
Just me. 20" chains sharpen pretty fast by hand for me.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Skip is generally used on bars longer than 20". Like 32 through 36" length. I am only trying to help. I personally think your saw will cut faster using full chisel, full comp chain when using a 20" 3/8 bar with a saw that size.
Just me. 20" chains sharpen pretty fast by hand for me.
Thanks, I understand, but 20" skip sharpens even faster! Just an experiment. Plus with city tree work I'm at high risk of hitting metal which means a LOT more filing on each tooth