Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Going back a ways on AS there was some discussion on the timeframe of when the xl12 came out and whether it was really was the first of that pivotal design/style saw. The competing 'copies' came out so quickly that it sort of blurred the timeline in history just a bit.
Joyce chimed in and pretty much put that one to rest, in concisely dated detail.
An amazing window into an amazing time in chainsaw history...

"Your question brings back memories. In August 1963 our salesman Fats Herbert from the Cincinnati branch brought a prototype of the XL-12. We were dealers from 1951 to 2004. My husband was so impressed he said he would take 50 by the first of October and if they didn't get them by then to take off one saw every day. On Oct. 3, they called and had the order at Cincy. All the serial numbers started with 150 and as yet I haven't seen a number any lower. We had a blue Buick station wagon and somehow we got all of them loaded into that vehicle. Had to remove a few from the box.
I remember him explaining to us that an engineer of Homelite worked on this in his basement so other companies couldn't spy on what they were doing. When it appeared most of the other manufacturers stopped everything and spent there time trying to copy it as much as they could.
Lombard did a real good job and Remington also. Hope this is of interest to the younger generation."
chainsawlady

I really dig that story.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't play with s**t. My BIL bought one. Plenty of power that you can't use. Cuts upward great. Cutting down or using the spikes and the throttle goes to idle. Stupid av system.
The MS170 is opposite, cuts down great, but goes to near idle cutting up unless you try puhsing the handles together at the same time. It was almost a 50/50 chance of getting such a flawed 170, the throttle linkage wasn't bent quite right or something.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about Calvin Meadows? I saw him post on Facebook yesterday, who remembers him?
Just prior to his dad passing on I did buy a bunch of his NOS parts and just one order after his passing Calvin went into a tailspin, shortly after that he couldn`t put two and two together. Sad.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
12:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still asking for handouts?

I had his digits years ago, I tried to call him when he went mia from sawhawgz, but no answer no reply.

At one time he was having to use the computer at the library. I also think he went out on a gospel tour at one point.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about 04ultra from AS?that guy had some interesting stuff to talk about.

I think he picked up a Dayton badged Poulan 5200 and shipped it to me. A mouse had dragged about 2 dozen tiny acorns into the muffler, lucky I checked to saw before starting it.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm...what did he do or not do if you don't mind elaborating for enlightenment purposes?o_O
I cant honestly remember what it was that got him banned, but he sure was a mouthy know-it
Hmm...what did he do or not do if you don't mind elaborating for enlightenment purposes?o_O
Like i said, brian was a mouthy punk who just wore out his welcome.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Weather it's true or not I can't say except I heard this story from several reliable sources about the Homelite xl-12 .According to them the design originated from Homelite and evolved into both larger and smaller displacement models sold by others but changed slightly as to skirt patent rights .One source was a local dealer and the other was Joyce the chainsaw lady .
If you look at say a Homelite c5 and an xl-12 they closely follow the design .The C5 I think is 77 cc in competition with McCulloch 250 at 80 cc .With the advent of smaller lighter saws such as the 10 series of Mac like the 10-10 the XL-12 came into being .---After thought .Someplace I have both a C5 and an Xl-12 or two in my junk .If I think about it and find them it might be interesting to show them side by side .

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a kick out of BillG .He wanted my avatar saw with a passion .I kindly told him he didn't have enough money to buy it because quite frankly it's not for sale .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In rethinking the XL-12 in addition to some mentioned a couple example of Remington used the same basic design PL-4 and PL-5 of memory serves .I have a couple of those also in my stash of junk .I'm sure they ran at some time ,weather they ever do again remains to be seen .

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just saw old BillG paid his debt to society and is back on AS. I'm sure he was greatly missed by lots of you guys.

Maybe they give him Internet access for an hour a day? I thought he was going to be gone for a while, I wonder if he got early release for Covid?