porting video series

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I normally make the entry angle of the upper transfer roofs flat and try to maintain it as far back in to the tunnel as is practical without breaking through. Sometimes that's not very far if the cylinder got dropped down a lot...

But on the last couple saws I've tried angling the primary side up a bit and tapering to flat toward the secondary side.
I'm assuming the secondary end covers the 'dead spot/corner'.
Figure I can try it and then go back in and flatten it out all the way to see if there's any difference. Nothing new, I'm sure, just new for me...

'By the book' there's supposed to be some narrowing and shifting of the power band upwards as the roof gets flatter but as typical that may apply more to larger/piped applications, I dunno.

Waste of time?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I normally make the entry angle of the upper transfer roofs flat and try to maintain it as far back in to the tunnel as is practical without breaking through. Sometimes that's not very far if the cylinder got dropped down a lot...

But on the last couple saws I've tried angling the primary side up a bit and tapering to flat toward the secondary side.
I'm assuming the secondary end covers the 'dead spot/corner'.
Figure I can try it and then go back in and flatten it out all the way to see if there's any difference. Nothing new, I'm sure, just new for me...

'By the book' there's supposed to be some narrowing and shifting of the power band upwards as the roof gets flatter but as typical that may apply more to larger/piped applications, I dunno.

Waste of time?
Try the opposite. Primary’s flat and secondary’s tapered up a bit. It has worked well for me

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oops, I guess back to completely flat they go.

I was looking at it as the closer secondary getting to the bottom corner first and pushing it up the wall where the later arriving primary then could get up under it all and continue pushing up/out.
Seems like a flat secondary would be better at sweeping the corner.

But yeah, I can also see the up angled primary side getting pushed out the exhaust sooner and the up angled secondary the one being able to dwell longer...

Btw this is on dual (066) ports, not quads.

Transfers twist my brain...

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of the few saws I've done lately, an echo 680 has transfers exactly how Scott describes his way of porting. The exhaust side transfers open about 4 degrees earlier than the secondaries. They open even with the top of the piston and blow 90° to the wall. Secondaries open even with the top of the piston and angle up slightly about 4 degrees later

Last edited:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've also seen other saws that ran really strong where all four transfer port roofs were blowing the charge up on an angle rather than across the top of the piston. The motorcycle books all talk about torque being the same regardless of roof angle but flatter roofs shooting across the top of the piston produce more horsepower. I don't have enough testing equipment to prove if that works in a saw or not