Piston wash patterns

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope, went to bed. Quite the interesting thread to scroll through during my morning constitutional though. Half way through I realized I was on my work phone... we'll see if I have to try to explain this, could be a good laugh with my boss if I do.
Or you're fired!!! Let's hope that doesn't happen.lol

justoldsaws

From the land downunder
Local time
10:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20210602_132238.jpg 20210602_132224.jpg Piston from my 288xp, I bought it off a commercial firewood seller a few years back, its done a lot of work, i pulled the top off to replace the ring which were very worn
Small damage on top of piston is from a piston stop.

Last edited:

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
8:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel like "wash patterns " are snake oil for porters who don't necessarily know what they're doing. I could be wrong but if a saw is running strong and a beast in the cut , am I supposed to pull the cylinder off to check the wash patterns?
Now I could see if someone hacked at the cylinder with a grinder and was held to the flame on why it ran like dump, "oh see the wash pattern is totally off" and so forth , this all sounds like whodo to me.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel like "wash patterns " are snake oil for porters who don't necessarily know what they're doing. I could be wrong but if a saw is running strong and a beast in the cut , am I supposed to pull the cylinder off to check the wash patterns?
Now I could see if someone hacked at the cylinder with a grinder and was held to the flame on why it ran like dump, "oh see the wash pattern is totally off" and so forth , this all sounds like whodo to me.
The theory many porters have is that a flatter transfer roof... charge washes the piston top. Usually makes more power than sloped roofs. How true is this? Idk. I’m no pro porter.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The theory many porters have is that a flatter transfer roof... charge washes the piston top. Usually makes more power than sloped roofs. How true is this? Idk. I’m no pro porter.
Flatter will make more torque. It’s possible to point them up too much and it’ll blow out the exhaust

NightRogue

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess the dyno could tell us more than reading a piston top?
We can make power by burning lotsa fuel and then we can make the same power with burning a little less fuel. Dyno will show the gains, piston wash will show if you're spitting gas outside a little or excessively. It also shows the accuracy of transfer opening on both sides, whether they're spot on or slightly off. I think studying piston wash is important

Sent from my INE-LX2r using Tapatalk

NightRogue

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flatter will make more torque. It’s possible to point them up too much and it’ll blow out the exhaust
There's 2 different angle when comes to transfer, vertical and horizontal. Here's some read

Vertical flat angle should give more rpm and higher hp, slope should give more low end tq. On quad port, angled secondary and flat main should give best of both worlds

85cd6983781d2fd98077be423f13e1f0.jpg

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More read......
Tongue wash is not really that good.... Its more of fuel economy setup
4648659717909dd8a8ca4d547f81f608.jpg
f1ac5eb9468ff8e04466792bab1119f9.jpg

So the shorter the “tongue” the better for overall power? They all seem to have a short tongue on the ones I looked at on saws. Haven’t seen one as long as the “bad” example yet on a saw piston. But I haven’t worked on as many saws as some of you guys. Seems like a result of a mistake that would be made on a ported cylinder?

Last edited:

NightRogue

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the shorter the “tongue” the better for overall power? They all seem to have a short tongue on the ones I looked at on saws. Haven’t seen one as long as the “bad” example yet on a saw piston. But I haven’t worked on as many saws as some of you guys. Seems like a result of a mistake that would be made on a ported cylinder?
Shorter tongue = more fuel economy, less high rpm power. It can spin 12~13k max rpm but power rpm might be at below 8k

Tongue shows the scavenging loop ends near spark plug, a loop that goes over and reaches near exhaust port is desirable for high rpm power