Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes run issues either pile up, keep coming at you or as in this case, both.
Saw is a Husqvarna 350 in nice shape with a 346xpNE cylinder, a Zama EL42 carburetor and an empty exhaust can from another model. Pretty straight forward build, which I did as a short block for the owner, he wanted to finish the rest of the saw assembly. Knowing his particularness to detail, I was fine with that. Once this all transpired he brought the saw back for tuning and it had issues so I said I would look at it. Come to find out after a failed pressure test, the cylinder base was leaking from the Hylomar Blue I used(that was supposed to be all the rage at the time) and mounting screws that were bottoming out in the adapter just as it tightened up. So I put good old 1184 on it with shorter screws and it ran fine.
He takes it out and says runs the same. Pressure test failed again as the intake boot has failed, which was replaced with new and a new clamp.
Pressure test still failed again just not as horribly as before with a leaking adapter base at the crankcase.
This piece was warped to the point that I couldn't true it up with a chunk of glass and sandpaper, ended up chucked on the lathe to square up as little as possible.
1184 everything again and passed pressure with flying colors, but just barely passed vacuum testing. So we know what is next to go... doesn't matter as it is still starved for fuel and won't accelerate and run. Changed fuel filter with no charge, so decided to pressure test the fuel line next and bam, won't build up pressure. So I hooked up a new curly line to the brand new carburetor and finally it tuned and ran.
Just goes to show that if you stick with it and keep going you will eventually win and have a proper running saw.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had /.020" squish which was brought down to .015" that was decided was acceptable for a GTG play saw

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Other side was a different story, sanding was just a good start.
View attachment 358788
Steve, I just finished my 4th 345/350 saw rebuild in the last month...every single one needed a bunch of work on both sides of the riser block to get back to flat...its a wonder these things ran at all.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of these got ran over and given to me. I gave it to a friend who runs one. Now he wants me to make one of the two for him.
After reading here I am considering turning off the phone lol.
Kidding, if he asks, I'll try. Just wish I had a neighbor like you guys.
Good hunt, chase, and find.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of these got ran over and given to me. I gave it to a friend who runs one. Now he wants me to make one of the two for him.
After reading here I am considering turning off the phone lol.
Kidding, if he asks, I'll try. Just wish I had a neighbor like you guys.
Good hunt, chase, and find.

I've had the go together one part from one and the other like putting together saw lasagna and come out beautiful right to the end and I've sat with piles of junk that never were going to make anything ever without buying two of everything. The talent comes in when recognizing either and know when to keep going forward or when to bail and end the never ending misery.
Good luck and have fun!

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really like those 350s, I've built up some that were pretty bad shape to start with, big holes burned in the top of the oil tank, one was full of water.
One I call Rudy thinks he's a 346, another one is a 346, I don't think I have one left with that low comp piston in it.
Another one has p&c from a 353 that a guy burned up, I cleaned up the cyl. & smoothed the piston up with a flat file put a new ring on it just to see how that would go, couple tanks thru it, still running fine.
I did the same with a 346 the same guy burned up, cleaned up cyl. & piston, put on a new ring (caber), put that on a 350 case, have 3 or 4 tanks thru that, still goin strong. Them 350s are fun.