CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
8:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Notice how the top ring is polished, and the second ring is hardly broken in? To me that says the second ring isn't doing much of anything, except slowing the saw down.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both rings look pretty evenly worn to my eye. Anybody ever test for a differential in compression with the bottom ring removed?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Notice how the top ring is polished, and the second ring is hardly broken in? To me that says the second ring isn't doing much of anything, except slowing the saw down.
The bottom ring is weaker than the top. Off the piston relaxed it has .040 less gap.

I did notice there's a little bit of wear on the top edge of the bottom ring. It isn't noticeable with the naked eye, but shows up good in a picture. 20170529_133534.jpg
I was expecting to see something like that on the ring after finding that rough plating across the center of the exhaust roof.
It makes me wonder how many 034s saws failed due to that design.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the lower ring come from the factory with less tension? In other words, if you buy a set of rings for an 034, do you have to ensure that they are installed in specific grooves according to their gaps? The top ring will be forced hard against the cylinder wall by combustion pressure, causing more wear to the top ring than the bottom one, as the bottom one sees much less pressure during combustion. I have no idea how much the increased heat and pressure affects the top ring over time.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good question.

I'm pretty sure top and bottom are the same tension.

Some guys like to use a new top ring with an old bottom ring when they port a saw. You get a bit less parasitic drag with the same heat transfer.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the lower ring come from the factory with less tension? In other words, if you buy a set of rings for an 034, do you have to ensure that they are installed in specific grooves according to their gaps?

No.

Nc grease monkey

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Has anyone tried stepping the exhaust port down? If I'm thinking correctly the expanding gases coming out of the top of the port first then being forced down should create a low pressure area at the bottom of the port and help aid in scavenging? IMG_1492.JPG

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone tried stepping the exhaust port down? If I'm thinking correctly the expanding gases coming out of the top of the port first then being forced down should create a low pressure area at the bottom of the port and help aid in scavenging? View attachment 95146
Dolmar 7910 series are like that