Part One: The Exhaust Port

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a builder on EBay doing that for 660/066 exhausts. He really believed in it too after reading his description. He sold mufflers that were ported.

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to wonder if some of the older saw makers knew something back when..
Take my 1958 Homelite EZ.
The floor of the exhaust is flat from the cylinder on out.
The roof on the other hand makes 2 curved upward transitions along with a splitter of sorts.
What is interesting with the splitter is that it is Not directly down the center of the exhaust port so one would assume its not there as a support... But who knows...

Exhaust 01.JPG Exhaust 02.JPG Exhaust 03.JPG

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to wonder if some of the older saw makers knew something back when..
Take my 1958 Homelite EZ.
The floor of the exhaust is flat from the cylinder on out.
The roof on the other hand makes 2 curved upward transitions along with a splitter of sorts.
What is interesting with the splitter is that it is Not directly down the center of the exhaust port so one would assume its not there as a support... But who knows...

View attachment 95264 View attachment 95263 View attachment 95262

Same concept - get a quick pressure drop just outside the exhaust port to aid in the blowdown. The manufacturing process made it necessary to use the step on the top versus the bottom.

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I put a step in a 55 Husky a while back it did run really well. Got the saw back last week scored piston. Still has the chain on it I put on it. Owner let somebody BORROW it.
Shep

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put a step in a 55 Husky a while back it did run really well. Got the saw back last week scored piston. Still has the chain on it I put on it. Owner let somebody BORROW it.
Shep
pics?

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No slope on the roof would maximize flow IMO

Maybe...

There are also some who believe a downward sloping ex port to be an advantage.

Could be a design consideration in the newer generation of saws with these back sloping cylinders.

I picture it in terms of how loop scavenging is working at that point in the cycle, not that I have a handle on the dynamics that go on in there at 10k rpm.:eek:

When the intake charge comes in up and behind the soon to be pushed out exhaust, the boundary between the two would go up at an angle toward the intake side/wall and down toward the ex port.
It seems like a downward exit slope could encourage a more orderly/linear expulsion of the similarly angled layer of exhaust gases and maybe reduce loss of intake charge.

The step on the exhaust floor could also be a benefit toward this end...