Old Outboards

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a '72 Rude 25, '73 Johnson 25 electric start, a '66 Rude 6 HP, but sold all of them and bought a mint 1992 Rude 25. I put a 35 HP carb and intake on it and it pushes my 14' Jon about 41mph. I got tired of chasing gremlins in the lower units on the split foot motors. Always seemed to get water in them from somewhere. I also had an old 3.5 twin for trolling but it finally bit the dust. I still tinker in outboards some. We just did a motor swap on the pontoon boat from a Merc 40-2cyl to a 50-3cylinder. Made a world of difference. I have a 6hp Rude that is seized. I am debating soaking it in tranny fluid and acetone and knocking it loose. I am not sure exactly what year it is, but it is mid 60's.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My favorite lil screamer was a 75Rude 25hp run on a 70' 14' Starcraft glass runabout.. Big wheel, shaved head, timing BIG bump, smoothed slugs, balanced, full gasket match and some carb work. Not ported. There was no need in that rig. It went like stink! 40 mph.

Ran just as good as my 68' 14' Starcraft aluminum runabout with a 65' 33hp Johnson Sea Horse twin. Top end 38mph on the crick. Rock stock.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you ever want to go fast on flat water let me know. Jimmy is still completing his 17ft Sidewinder. Rude V6 235 fresh stock long shaft power head. 6" high speed jack plate. :pesas:We are shooting for triple digits right out the box. If he would just let me port it... :) can you say a buck twenty? :eek::cool:

Sit down shut up hold on or be ejected.:applaudit:fun times.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My favorite lil screamer was a 75Rude 25hp run on a 70' 14' Starcraft glass runabout.. Big wheel, shaved head, timing BIG bump, smoothed slugs, balanced, full gasket match and some carb work. Not ported. There was no need in that rig. It went like stink! 40 mph.

Ran just as good as my 68' 14' Starcraft aluminum runabout with a 65' 33hp Johnson Sea Horse twin. Top end 38mph on the crick. Rock stock.
Nice! Now I want to get an outboard modding thread going...LOL! I learned a lot when I rebuild my 40 but I resisted the urge to smooth the pistons and clean up the ports. Pretty interesting port layout, funny how the wall on the piston is what keeps the transfer charge from blowing straight out the exhaust.

You called it a "crick". Now I know you're from somewhere in the north. Where abouts?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
East of Philly 10 min.
Call it the "Hot Foot" thread! I'm sure the Sidewinder is getting one of those and a lanyard.

The most fun we have had is tossing guys out the back who will not sit down and shut up lol. The funnest boat is a 75' Glasstron 15ft with a 115 Rude with 140 exhaust and shaved 140 heads. She does 65mph and will turn on a dime when you drop the trim. 55mph flat out in tight turns if you can stay in the boat lol.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
East of Philly 10 min.
Call it the "Hot Foot" thread! I'm sure the Sidewinder is getting one of those and a lanyard.

The most fun we have had is tossing guys out the back who will not sit down and shut up lol. The funnest boat is a 75' Glasstron 15ft with a 115 Rude with 140 exhaust and shaved 140 heads. She does 65mph and will turn on a dime when you drop the trim. 55mph flat out in tight turns if you can stay in the boat lol.
Any suggestions for my 40hp Rude that will keep on pump gas? It pushes my 14ft Crestliner to 30mph with the biggest pitch prop I can find (14" pitch). I would imagine you'd have to change the prop shaft gearing to get more speed with engine mods