Old Outboards

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody goof around with vintage outboards? My brothers have termed the state of my barn as "outboard mania" this summer. Picked up a couple 60's evinrude 33hp motors with the intent to build one good one out of the two and it turned into using the crank and other parts to build up a 40hp instead. I enjoy working on them, much like chainsaws their simplicity reveals itself once you get into one. I had to split the case on the 40 to replace a bad crank seal, it was my first time tearing one down that far but I had a lot of fun learning the process. I've got 6 outboards at the moment, a 58' 18hp, two 73' 25hp, a 65' and a 68' 33hp and finally the 63' 40hp. I'm finding anytime I upgrade the motor on my little boat I just can't bring myself to sell the one that's removed. Sounds like a familiar disorder:rolleyes: if you have an old outboard post up some pics. For some reason I just love talking about these things.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The sad state that the 33's are in after a week of parts canning. I needed a crank for my 40hp, my brother needed electric start components for his Johnson 33hp, my other brother needed various bits and pieces for his 67' Evinrude 33hp. One of these had real potential and I felt bad tearing it apart, but onward and upward I guess. Just glad I had the parts for my 40 rebuild.
IMG_1541.JPG

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got an old 9.5 johnson. Guessing in the 60's. Still runs like a top. Well did when last used in 2014. Should get it out and fire it up sometime.
Dont have any pics. Will try to remember to take a couple tonight.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got an old 9.5 johnson. Guessing in the 60's. Still runs like a top. Well did when last used in 2014. Should get it out and fire it up sometime.
Dont have any pics. Will try to remember to take a couple tonight.

Them old motors don't know how to quit. You may not even need to clean the points on it to fire it up.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The sad state that the 33's are in after a week of parts canning. I needed a crank for my 40hp, my brother needed electric start components for his Johnson 33hp, my other brother needed various bits and pieces for his 67' Evinrude 33hp. One of these had real potential and I felt bad tearing it apart, but onward and upward I guess. Just glad I had the parts for my 40 rebuild.
View attachment 84547
Is that a 350X peeking out from deside the boat. I have a soft spot for Honda three wheelers. ATC fever!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had several old 9 1/2 hp Johnson and Evinrudes, just sold my last one a 1946 Johnson five hp. it was first year TD20. I am land locked now with no water so no need for boats.
Boats are a complicated subject. Sometimes I wonder why I go through all the maintenance and stuff, then we have a great day on the water and I'm reminded that it's worth it. At least outboard maintenance is a breeze compared to my Four Winns I/O

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that a 350X peeking out from deside the boat. I have a soft spot for Honda three wheelers. ATC fever!
Yes sir it is, I've owned it since I was 16. Grew up riding trikes because I couldn't afford a quad back in the day, that extra wheel was expensive. Alas, it's going to my brother soon because I just don't ride it anymore, thought about hanging it on the wall just to keep it around.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here the pic of my old pot bellied johnson.
685d877bf4abf277327b4c08e9d82951.jpg

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wish I had a pic but back in the late 80's I had restored a 1958 Impala coupe and shortly after there was a nice built in Powassan ON Giesler 18' cedar strip boat ( Lake Nippissing special was the model) from 1961 with a 1958 Johnson 35HP on it set up like a run about with the steering wheel and windshield. The Impala with that boat behind it just fit into the time period like a time machine . I took it to our favourite place on a fishing/cottage trip in Gananoque one summer and I had stopped to gas up the car and an old fellow said to me....you'll wreck that car pulling that boat . I just laughed and said well the boat isn't that heavy and I'm sure 58 Impalas were towing lots of stuff back in the day . Of course the 283 in the car was totally rebuilt anyway...hahaha . That boat was awesome out in the water , cut thru waves like a knife , the 35 Johnson moved it nice and that engine would idle for trolling just as nice as could be .
Giesler is still in business BTW and building that same model boat as well as others...... http://www.gieslerboats.ca/LakeNip.htm

Last edited:

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here the pic of my old pot bellied johnson.
685d877bf4abf277327b4c08e9d82951.jpg

Wow that brings back memories mine where just like that. I got two of them the summer I was fourteen at a yard sale for fifty bucks. I worked all summer putting the two together to make one running one. Ran it on a 14' flat bottom Jon boat. The local Johnson dealer had a shed with all the old parts in it that they let me dig through. They where so impressed with my will to get the motor going they offered me a job the next summer as a shop helper.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This old outboard has been in the family for quite some time. It was my gradpas. He gave it to my dad. Then i got it. Probly be my boys someday.
Thers a lot of good fishing memories with this old motor.
Remember one year up moose hunting we went out to go fishing and the boat was on the other side of the lake. We had to borrow another boat and row out to get it.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Those OB look nice. Have had every one of them and more.
I still have my 64' 3.5 Rude Twin, old Tecumseh 5hp x2, 6?' Sears 5hp, 75or6' 9.9 Rude long shaft and 77' Rude 35hp long shaft x2 and a short shaft for triples if you feel the need. Oh yeah, a 68' Rude Starflight 85hp V4 and a 66' Turtle Top V4 75hp.

Many 2clds. from the 60's in the parts pile to be sorted, sold and scrapped.
I'll leave the V6's out and my buddy Jim's Hot-rod V4 and V6 Rudes we built.

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those OB look nice. Have had everyone of them and more.
I still have my 64' 3.5 Rude Twin, old Tecumseh 5hp x2, 6?' Sears 5hp, 75or6' 9.9 Rude long shaft and 77' Rude 35hp long shaft x2 and a short shaft for triples if you feel the need. Oh yeah, a 68' Rude Starflight 85hp V4 and a 66' Turtle Top V4 75hp.

Many 2clds. from the 60's in the parts pile to be sorted, sold and scrapped.
I'll leave the V6's out and my buddy Jim's Hot-rod V4 and V6 Rudes we built.
Sounds like you have quite the stash. I'd love to have a pick n pull outboard bone yard go through but there aren't any around here.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My best bone yard had over 500 engines in it. Bob retired about eight years ago and junked most of it. He slated 450+ for the melt down scrap. He had 4 x 50ft trailers full of parts. That was reduced to one and sold. Trixie's Marine was the place on Berkley Island NJ next to the state park. I have others digs and haunts to rummage in. Always enjoyed the hunt but now there is no time :-(

Your making me want to pull out my 225 Rude with factory PS on the tiller bar. Considered making it a "Tiller Killer" motor. You could buy a Black Maxx 150 tiller some days back.

I wouldn't think of putting it on something without porting it :)

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds like you have quite the stash. I'd love to have a pick n pull outboard bone yard go through but there aren't any around here.
Road trip. You will need to plan that one. We could spend days just looking and days more buying goodies for oldies.