New Tractor needs a new winch and grapple

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my dad's Fransgard winch. very very handy. had a pipeline run thru property 14yo. they bought the timber, marked it, dad bought winch. we cut, logged it off and he resold the logs. pipeline company was going to chip the wood. so the winch paid for itself. definitely have to watch how you are pulling, you can flip the tractor in a hurry. dad backed the clutch down, and it will still pull the tractor around.

Attachments

• 20190424_201004.jpg
    20190424_201004.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 17

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my dad's Fransgard winch. very very handy. had a pipeline run thru property 14yo. they bought the timber, marked it, dad bought winch. we cut, logged it off and he resold the logs. pipeline company was going to chip the wood. so the winch paid for itself. definitely have to watch how you are pulling, you can flip the tractor in a hurry. dad backed the clutch down, and it will still pull the tractor around.

What model Winch?

My M70
328dfc96880d51147e735702c9831860.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fransgard 4000. at the time he had a Zetor 5040. nice tractor. only problem with it we would have to replace the clutch master cylinder every few yrs.
he sold that and bought the 7040 with a 84" wide fel for under 28gs

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fransgard 4000. at the time he had a Zetor 5040. nice tractor. only problem with it we would have to replace the clutch master cylinder every few yrs.
he sold that and bought the 7040 with a 84" wide fel for under 28gs

Yes I was eying the 7040.

My tractor without DPF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

weesa20

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not sure I would believe a Uni is more rugged than a comparable Farmi... need to wonder why it needed a new clutch, brake, and cable...

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure I would believe a Uni is more rugged than a comparable Farmi... need to wonder why it needed a new clutch, brake, and cable...
Things wear out. Not sure if the mechanics of the clutch and brake are more rugged or not, I think the mechanical brake on the farmi is definitely more rugged. But I do know that my uniforest is nearly twice as heavy as comparable models of the other brands. I found the extra weight appealing, some may not.

Another thing the uniforest has over its competition is all the storage for chokers and other accessories. Not trying to be biased, they all have high and low points, can’t lose with any brand imo.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd agree, maybe heavier lol. I think it's about marketing, someone who doesn't know just doesn't know.
I've got one very similar to that one, mine needs a new clutch, but the brake works so I can still get things done with it, just no heavy skidding even when doubled back.
Pretty sure the reason that one needed the clutch is because they sprayed grease all over the chain and while doing so saturated the clutch, that's what happened on mine. I bought mine like that and pulled it apart and cleaned the chain of and degreased then cleaned the clutch material off as best as I could and reassembled, it pulled hard one time lol. A new clutch is around 400 shipped, I need to buy it but haven't been doing much tree work lately, did a good amount early on this yr though. I primarily use mine for pulling trees against their lean, if the winch won't pull it I hop on the tractor and with it in low it will.
Since I don't have a remote many times I will double back off a tree and set the tractor up right next to the tree I'm dropping, notch it, bore it, step down for the back cut so it goes past the bore cut, turn around and hit the winch breaking the holding wood. Small print; I keep enough tension on the tree to hold it in place without breaking the hinge and having it topple backwards, I also pull as much as possible directly against the lean so the hinge does break sideways, either one could be bad!
Did you ever sell the ported 200. I traded off the 200t I had with the stickers on it and then found another nice rear handle, can you believe it. I'd still like a ported one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 1.39.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 1.39.15 PM.png
    962.1 KB · Views: 7