New Tractor needs a new winch and grapple

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish there were some videos with actual logs & not just the limbs of a few small trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I could see if you don’t choke the butt just right that block being turned into a cool door stop as well as damage to the holding tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
5:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could see if you don’t choke the butt just right that block being turned into a cool door stop as well as damage to the holding tree.

The Block must be attached so the plate is down & the pulley is up.

Yeah, if your butt got ahead of the tail of the choker, that’d suck.

I want a Cummins powered TJ, but I might be able to swing 3pnt hitch winch & some snatch blocks for awhile.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Block must be attached so the plate is down & the pulley is up.

Yeah, if your butt got ahead of the tail of the choker, that’d suck.

I want a Cummins powered TJ, but I might be able to swing 3pnt hitch winch & some snatch blocks for awhile.

Or a 350 or 450 JD with a winch?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish there were some videos with actual logs & not just the limbs of a few small trees.

You mean like this? ;) I was using the block to lift the log a little on this one, not much of a turn. My block came with an 8 foot 10k strap for anchoring.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I’ve found that it doesn’t really matter how you choke the log when using the block. My cable has 3 additional chokers on it and an aluminum washer. As long as all of the chokers and the washer are down range from the block it releases perfectly. But if the extra chokers get to the block without that washer hitting first they will get jammed on the block.

Damage to anchor trees is definitely something to watch for. I up rooted a 12” ash while pulling hard on a top for firewood. Anywhere else and it would’ve been fine but the ground was soft where I was anchored.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice toy! I only have about 20 hours with one. I dont know all the tricks with one. They are nice once you figure them out. The one I was working with was a pain to get into free spool. Dont know if that was operator error or the way the mechanism was set up. After a few hours of use I got it down pat.

If you haven't got any blocks to redirect then I highly recommend you get 2. A couple rigging slings and some shackles will allow you to set the blocks anywhere you like.
I had some growing pains when learning how to use mine as well Wade. My winch was always in free spool when I got it but now it works as it should. Pulling the brake rope actually releases the brake and that’s what gets you to free spool. Pull the black rope to in haul and the brake automatically engages again. I know you know this stuff, just chatting for AJ’s benefit.

How you been? Still on 7 x 12’s?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve found that it doesn’t really matter how you choke the log when using the block. My cable has 3 additional chokers on it and an aluminum washer. As long as all of the chokers and the washer are down range from the block it releases perfectly. But if the extra chokers get to the block without that washer hitting first they will get jammed on the block.

Damage to anchor trees is definitely something to watch for. I up rooted a 12” ash while pulling hard on a top for firewood. Anywhere else and it would’ve been fine but the ground was soft where I was anchored.

If you pull tree length some guys won’t choke on the butt they go back say 3 to 4 feet especially if the bark is slipping to make sure a log isn’t lost per turn.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you pull tree length some guys won’t choke on the butt they go back say 3 to 4 feet especially if the bark is slipping to make sure a log isn’t lost per turn.

I’ll give it a try next time I’m in the woods, I doubt it makes a difference.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll give it a try next time I’m in the woods, I doubt it makes a difference.

Take a 3’ butt with say a 9’ choker you maybe only have a foot ahead of the butt if that of clearance choked at 3’ on that butt.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or a 350 or 450 JD with a winch?

Meh.

I grew up on JD 450s, Cat D6/7/8s.

It just seems so foreign to try to log with them. Especially when the mud is factored in.

For better or worse I’m often trying to take extra steps to keep the saw logs clean: growing up off-bearing for granddad & dad when they were using their WoodMizer kind of engrained that into me.

To me every tree I take down is either a saw log or it’s pulpwood.

And- what have I got to do to keep it as clean as possible.

If I were logging, I’m sure I’d look at it different, but doing residential tree work, it’s often easier to clean up as you go.

I’ve turned down jobs that are too big for Tree Services due to the quantity of trees,( think 5-6 acres), but not big enough for loggers. I think a small skidder or maybe the next-size-up-from-Josh’s winch would work on my Kubota until I could afford a proper Skidder.

Here’s that Working Girl
f5e6d97640271de776241def2160aec2.jpg

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 178434 Us old people like grapples also, on my Yanmar 24 horse, Wicked Root from everything attachments. Will pick up 900 pounds.

I’ve been after Travis for over a Year to build me one of those that is wide as my tires: I think that style grapple is best on a FEL.

All I want is 72-74”.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mill only takes 8, 10 & 12 foot lengths.

That would drive me crazy all day a short log out here is 16’ with a foot of trim take our alder some mills do camp run prices which is 17’ to 42’ all the same price, well some are tier pricing 17’ to 25’ is price group per top size, then 27’ to 33’ is another price and the last is 35’ to 42’ all steeping up in price with length let’s just say short lengths aren’t preferred out here.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is an 8 foot choker, had to use the block to get this log out...no problems at all even with the block hitting the butt first. Block was a little over a foot off the ground while pulling the log uphill.

857E50CD-9AD3-43CF-A6C9-C9F32F60BA4D.jpeg

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would drive me crazy all day a short log out here is 16’ with a foot of trim take our alder some mills do camp run prices which is 17’ to 42’ all the same price, well some are tier pricing 17’ to 25’ is price group per top size, then 27’ to 33’ is another price and the last is 35’ to 42’ all steeping up in price with length let’s just say short lengths aren’t preferred out here.

Different worlds for sure. For the equipment I have I’m actually happy with the shorter lengths. Veneer length is 9.5 feet.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meh.

I grew up on JD 450s, Cat D6/7/8s.

It just seems so foreign to try to log with them. Especially when the mud is factored in.

For better or worse I’m often trying to take extra steps to keep the saw logs clean: growing up off-bearing for granddad & dad when they were using their WoodMizer kind of engrained that into me.

To me every tree I take down is either a saw log or it’s pulpwood.

And- what have I got to do to keep it as clean as possible.

If I were logging, I’m sure I’d look at it different, but doing residential tree work, it’s often easier to clean up as you go.

I’ve turned down jobs that are too big for Tree Services due to the quantity of trees,( think 5-6 acres), but not big enough for loggers. I think a small skidder or maybe the next-size-up-from-Josh’s winch would work on my Kubota until I could afford a proper Skidder.

Here’s that Working Girl
f5e6d97640271de776241def2160aec2.jpg

When it’s wet and muddy I’d take a cat any day of the week over a skidder you’ll run out less plus have less ground pressure, that said it’s been years since we’ve ran either everyday of the week steady. One thing I do remember is during our wet season the skidder would be parked a lot more doing tree length thinning vs our high track skidder.