New saw, cant decide.

fishbones

Active OPE Member
Local time
1:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
See if you can get a light bar. You won’t regret it.
I looked into it, it was 50 bucks more and on a 25" bar they said it was like 2oz lighter so I opted to stay with stock bar but not the safety chains, got full chisels instead.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
12:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked into it, it was 50 bucks more and on a 25" bar they said it was like 2oz lighter so I opted to stay with stock bar but not the safety chains, got full chisels instead.
A light bar in 25” is about 2 lbs lighter than the standard. My 36” Light bar was 3 1/2 lbs lighter…

damifino

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your larger diameter wood is limited, you might consider a Echo 590. Its 60cc but best bang for the buck IMO.

fishbones

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A light bar in 25” is about 2 lbs lighter than the standard. My 36” Light bar was 3 1/2 lbs lighter…
Wow, thank you, I will look into that, 2lb is a lot.
Whats your thoughts on the dyno's that show the 462 light on torque? Any easy ways to get more torque besides porting?

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whats your thoughts on the dyno's that show the 462 light on torque? Any easy ways to get more torque besides porting?
Balanced saw is a wonderful thing. My 044 is moderately nose heavy with a 24" regular weight bar and near perfect with a 24" Tsumara Light so figures that a lighter 462 should be even more nose heavy. 462 with a 24" Stihl ES Light is probably perfect, the ES being a bit lighter than a Tsumara light.
Well worth the extra $50 to me.

Last edited:

fishbones

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For some reason I am still struggling with the 462 Mtronic vs Non Mtronic.
The saw shop guy seemed pretty adamant about not getting an Mtronic version but my research shows a lot of guys like them and they are not having issues. Any thoughts appreciated.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw shop guy seemed pretty adamant about not getting an Mtronic version but my research shows a lot of guys like them and they are not having issues. Any thoughts appreciated.
I went back and forth with this on the 261c….came across a deal on a brand new 261 mtronic and so far it’s great….time will tell I won’t baby it…

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I enjoy tuning my saws to varying conditions and am ok at it. That being said mtronic would probably do it better, especially since I only tune the high jet.

Last edited:

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local Stihl tech is old school and doesn't care for m-tronic or fuel-injected OPE. Says with a manual carb saw, you can fix just about everything with a screw driver. So in my case, I'm happy to run what the tech is happy to service and that means a manual carb. And a tachometer. And a willingness to be fussy.

As far as torque, the ms462 may not be as forgiving to run as my go-to ms461, but it will probably get the job done faster with higher chain speed.

Last edited:

fishbones

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local Stihl tech is old school and doesn't care for m-tronic or fuel-injected OPE. Says with a manual carb saw, you can fix just about everything with a screw driver. So in my case, I'm happy to run what the tech is happy to service and that means a manual carb. And a tachometer. And a willingness to be fussy.

As far as torque, the ms462 may not be as forgiving to run as my go-to ms461, but it will probably get the job done faster with higher chain speed.
Thank You, appreciate the info. I just ordered a proline solo tach, I like old school so sticking with what my local tech with 40 years experience suggests, manual carb.

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll tell ya. I use saws in a production felling environment. We’ve used the 462c. I really like how it self adjusts. It’s a high strung saw. I like manual carb saws as well. No trouble for me to tune one. We put many board feet on a 462c before something happened with the communication of the mtronic system, but a trip to the dealer fixed it pretty easy. IMO if the saw is being used as a farm/landowner/cut my own firewood saw; stick with the m-tronic model. If the saw is being used in a production/tree service/production firewood then get either the m-tronic or standard carb. Just my two cents.

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank You, appreciate the info. I just ordered a proline solo tach, I like old school so sticking with what my local tech with 40 years experience suggests, manual carb.
Welp… just read this after my previous post lol! Glad you bought a tach to use. Always good to know for sure 👍🏻

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If being a little louder doesn’t bother you, the Bark Box by West Coast Saw really does add torque to the 462. They say 10% gain, proven by dyno results. I have them on both my 462’s. It’s a noticeably felt difference.. I always wear ear plugs when using my saws.

fishbones

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If being a little louder doesn’t bother you, the Bark Box by West Coast Saw really does add torque to the 462. They say 10% gain, proven by dyno results. I have them on both my 462’s. It’s a noticeably felt difference.. I always wear ear plugs when using my saws.
Cool, great info. I was looking at those and a west coast filter kit but some info I found says muffler mods dont do much to the 462 but now we know they do, thank you.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool, great info. I was looking at those and a west coast filter kit but some info I found says muffler mods dont do much to the 462 but now we know they do, thank you.
The stock air filter setup is great as well. It’s way ahead of it’s predecessors in terms of staying clean. I can cut for days logging without “banging it out” for a quick clean.

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which light weight bar did you get?

I have a 25" Stihl light 06 bar and a 25" GB hard nose here and the weight difference is 310 grams. Thats a bit over half a lb and nothing about that GB bar is light.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which light weight bar did you get?

I have a 25" Stihl light 06 bar and a 25" GB hard nose here and the weight difference is 310 grams. Thats a bit over half a lb and nothing about that GB bar is light.
Tsumura Premium Light.

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Five years ago i choose 565 over 572 it was cheaper 250€ ?