fishbones

Active OPE Member
Local time
11:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello All, new to the forum.
I am looking for a new 70cc class saw. I am no pro, just average joe with hunting land and 16-28" oaks and pines to clean up.
Looking for a saw that can run 24-28 in bars and is good for felling.
I keep bouncing around between these models.
Husky 572xp, 372xp (both new models)
Stihl MS400 and MS462.
I have a stihl MS271 and love that saw but I am not sure if the price difference on the 70cc class pro models is worth it.
I appreciate any feedback more experienced saw guys can offer. TY.

fishbones

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You won’t regret an MS462. It will do all of that, and is light enough to sling all day without wearing you out.
Thank You, lately after much research that is where I am leaning to. For 20 day a year usage would you suggest the R or the M version?

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
10:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank You, lately after much research that is where I am leaning to. For 20 day a year usage would you suggest the R or the M version?
R is just a Wrap Handle. User preference on that one.. I own both standard carb, and M-Tronic versions of this saw, and both are great. Again, your preference if you want to adjust a carb periodically, or just pull the rope and go.

The M-Tronic would be more forgiving in the long run, if you’re an occasional user. And after warming up and making some cuts, will automatically adjust to the change in temperature, etc.

fishbones

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you’re not scared of new technology I’d say go with the 572 or 462. Of those 2 saws I’d pick the brand that has a local dealer with a good reputation
I have a good stihl dealer local, husky not so much, was looking at walkers saws shop, they have 20% off msrp on the huskys right now, I can get a 572xp with 28" bar for 940 delivered but local support concerns me.

fishbones

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
R is just a Wrap Handle. User preference on that one.. I own both standard carb, and M-Tronic versions of this saw, and both are great. Again, your preference if you want to adjust a carb periodically, or just pull the rope and go.

The M-Tronic would be more forgiving in the long run, if you’re an occasional user. And after warming up and making some cuts, will automatically adjust to the change in temperature, etc.
Ah, ok thanks, I thought the R meant regular carb. I appreciate it.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the R model of a 462 have a high output oiler like the 461’s do?
If you have a good Stihl dealer buy Stihl, it’s money saved in the long run, when I need a Husqvarna part I have to wait forever
I switched from a 271 to a pro saw 3-4 years ago and can say it’s well worth the money whatever flavour you get

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a stihl MS271 and love that saw but I am not sure if the price difference on the 70cc class pro models is worth it.
I have both the MS 217 and MS 261C and the 261C is a nice jump there (1/2 hp more - same weight). I use both Husky and Stihl saws, so like @Canadian farm boy stated, either the 572 or 462 will be a great saw to work with. I sold several of both saws to men who used them as daily saws and they were happy with them. Only had one 572 come back with a minor throttle issue that was warranty repaired.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have a good Stihl dealer buy Stihl, it’s money saved in the long run, when I need a Husqvarna part I have to wait forever
I switched from a 271 to a pro saw 3-4 years ago and can say it’s well worth the money whatever flavour you get
No on the oiler. Unlike prior models, the R only gives you the 3/4 wrap, larger clutch cover and dual dawgs. The oiler stays the same.

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are equipped with the same oiler but there’s a pin beside the oiler control bolt that you punch in to achieve adjustability to the max range and it oils fine then. Another vote for the 462 here. We run both 24 and 28’s on them and they do well. Especially for the weight.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d probably just go with a standard model then if I only had 1 saw, I like to leave low low stumps so I can drive over them without a worry. Plus I’ve never felt like I needed big dogs in hardwood

fishbones

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I found what I think is a very good, true saw shop 30 minutes away (stihl).
Just drove over and talked to them for about an hour, the 462 felt like a nice saw, 25" bar, slight nose dip.
Family business, 40 years, the owner told me he does not sell or suggest the M version, only the regular carb.
I like less complexity and easier repairs and ability to tune it myself. Hoping thats the right choice, he has one coming early next week.
The one he had in the store UPS beat up a little but at least I got to handle one.
He is throwing in a couple chains and selling it to me for $1349.00, a little under MSRP, sounds like a good deal and cheaper than other shops around the area.

fishbones

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are equipped with the same oiler but there’s a pin beside the oiler control bolt that you punch in to achieve adjustability to the max range and it oils fine then. Another vote for the 462 here. We run both 24 and 28’s on them and they do well. Especially for the weight.
Thank you, I will have to check out that oiler mod. Probably gonna break it in and then see if I want a bark box or not.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just drove over and talked to them for about an hour, the 462 felt like a nice saw, 25" bar, slight nose dip.
Family business, 40 years, the owner told me he does not sell or suggest the M version, only the regular carb.
I like less complexity and easier repairs and ability to tune it myself. Hoping thats the right choice, he has one coming early next week.
The one he had in the store UPS beat up a little but at least I got to handle one.
He is throwing in a couple chains and selling it to me for $1349.00, a little under MSRP, sounds like a good deal and cheaper than other shops around the area.

Since you're buying new, I would say good dealer support is going to be a big thing for you.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
See if you can get a light bar. You won’t regret it.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you, I think so to. I have spent the last month looking for a used 70cc saw and have come up empty.
Hoping its a buy once, cry once story ending.
Used saws are used saws.... period.
It'll be a good thing for you to be able to address both maintenance and usage with your dealer,buying a saw from a good dealer will come with a wealth of knowledge.