New 545/550xp saws

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stephan; this is a huge scoop you got here. I'm surprised this thread hasn't been more active. Any chance we can get pics with the top cover off?

Some observations: Looks a lot like a mini 572 to me. Same type of muffler/large gap underneath. I'm sure there is a different air filter under that top cover. probably a smaller version of the 565 set up. The white material showing in the clutch side shot is the same heat shield stuff from the 572 as well.

One surprise is that is a different crankcase! Compare the pic of the front of the saw to any 545/550 and you'll see it right away. That casts a little doubt about whether or not these changes can be fitted to older models. There are no IPL's up yet on the dealer site, so we can't have a look at how many specific parts are involved.
Question Bob. If someone were contemplating purchasing a new 562 saw would you recommend the current model or wait for the updated model based on what you currently know.
I do realize of course that American dealers may not have much information on the updated models. Just interested in your personal opinion.:)

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question Bob. If someone were contemplating purchasing a new 562 saw would you recommend the current model or wait for the updated model based on what you currently know.
I do realize of course that American dealers may not have much information on the updated models. Just interested in your personal opinion.:)
My ported 2016 with el48, updated cylinder with the larger transfers and cover slot had been fine for me. Having said that, I would wait for the newer model just for the better filter seal imho.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My ported 2016 with el48, updated cylinder with the larger transfers and cover slot had been fine for me. Having said that, I would wait for the newer model just for the better filter seal imho.
Thank you for your insight sir.:)

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Not all clear yet to answer your question with certainty, but here's what I've been told. The 562 is supposed to get running model updates and may not get a"mark II" model designation. THere's a little more room for them to do what they need to, and there's not the need for the amount of changes that we see on the 545/550. Things like that different crankcase mean there too many differences between the old and new saws, that separate model numbers are needed.

If that is all true regarding the 562, then it bdes well for some of these changes being retrofittable to earlier saws. But whatever they call it, and again, this is all still up the air, Elimination of the hot start deal and especially the gen III auto-tune would be woth waiting for in my book.

562 remains my best seller here. When a guy needs a saw, he needs a saw. But any member here surely has enough saws to "survive" until we see the new stuff. When? Sorry, but don't have a clue. :)

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I concur my 2016 ported 2260 has been problem free other than the air filter sucks but that wrap has solved that issue. I opened up the top cover like a late 562 and that cured the hot start issue. My 2253 has had a few quirks but nothing serious

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not all clear yet to answer your question with certainty, but here's what I've been told. The 562 is supposed to get running model updates and may not get a"mark II" model designation. THere's a little more room for them to do what they need to, and there's not the need for the amount of changes that we see on the 545/550. Things like that different crankcase mean there too many differences between the old and new saws, that separate model numbers are needed.

If that is all true regarding the 562, then it bdes well for some of these changes being retrofittable to earlier saws. But whatever they call it, and again, this is all still up the air, Elimination of the hot start deal and especially the gen III auto-tune would be woth waiting for in my book.

562 remains my best seller here. When a guy needs a saw, he needs a saw. But any member here surely has enough saws to "survive" until we see the new stuff. When? Sorry, but don't have a clue. :)
Thanks Bob.:smile:

Grjfer

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I concur my 2016 ported 2260 has been problem free other than the air filter sucks but that wrap has solved that issue. I opened up the top cover like a late 562 and that cured the hot start issue. My 2253 has had a few quirks but nothing serious

The wrap???

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My buddy (husqvarna dealer) who was on this (almost secret) presentation last week, said the new 550 is now rated with 3.0kW, to compete against the new, lighter 261 with 3.0kW. He said the 550/545 is basically a smaller version of the new 565/572xp, they share a lot of design elements. It has not much in common with the old 545/550xp design.

He said also a Husqvarna engineer told him on the presentation, the *s-word has hit the fan in sweden about the 550xp, to much problems since release years ago, so they decided to do this complete redesign.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My buddy (husqvarna dealer) who was on this (almost secret) presentation last week, said the new 550 is now rated with 3.0kW, to compete against the new, lighter 261 with 3.0kW. He said the 550/545 is basically a smaller version of the new 565/572xp, they share a lot of design elements. It has not much in common with the old 545/550xp design.

He said also a Husqvarna engineer told him on the presentation, the *s-word has hit the fan in sweden about the 550xp, to much problems since release years ago, so they decided to do this complete redesign.
Why has it taken so long for engineers to figure this out

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Since having the warranty work done on my older 562xp ('12-13 maybe?) it's been issue free and starts easily hot or cold. I probably have 10 gallons or better of mix through it since the work and I would assume the issue would have surfaced by now, if it was going to. Terry Landrum did me a solid on that one. Now as far as the MKII 550 is concerned, it almost seems like it's going the opposite way of the MS261. Time will tell if the results are fruitful. I was never a fan of the weight of the original 261 that I have, but it pulls far better than many 50cc saws, running 3/8" chain, so I guess there's a trade-off. If it does bode well, then I'm even more curious about a 58X-59X family or model if it goes down to one version of saw, based off of the seemingly "right" things that they're doing now to fix what was previously wrong.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It doesnt make alot sense since they just change the crankcase and gasket kit on 545/560.
0.4kg extra weight on 545/550 is alot weight gain.

They do have too many waranty cases on 550, even today, we have to remember its 6 years since it entered the marked, they should had sorted it out years ago, consider their lousy build quality on 550 it do make sense they're building it from scratch.

They could though gone the middle way, like this:
Heat protection as they introduced with 572.
Fixed that lousy airfilter holder.
* Machine crankcase halfs so the whole area for the jug is flush (they're doing this already on 560).
AT3 generation
* Quit this lousy way to press a bearing in the case (wouldnt surprise me if they're cold pressing)
I gladly pay extra if they just could lift their quality!!

545G, that one will be a big seller.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They've used a couple years to get them new NK bars good, latest version is the X-Force bar, strengthen up the nose bearing system, already produced for 325" 58 ga chain.
Now we just need a chain just as good as the c85 is, hopefully they'll deliver a new chain with their 545/550, and I would prefer full chiesel tooth, not semi.

I dont like the colours on their new 545/550, the silver was cool, the new brownish silver looks awful to be honest.