JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did a search but didn't find much.
So the saw will crank and idle fine you can flip it on each side and spin it around and it doesn't change you can even lightly touch the throttle and the saw will start to rev but the moment that the bottom throttle starts to open it bogs. I'm thinking that there has to be an air leak somewhere or possibly an issue with the carb? Anybody have some experience with this top handle saw that can help shed some light?

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did a search but didn't find much.
So the saw will crank and idle fine you can flip it on each side and spin it around and it doesn't change you can even lightly touch the throttle and the saw will start to rev but the moment that the bottom throttle starts to open it bogs. I'm thinking that there has to be an air leak somewhere or possibly an issue with the carb? Anybody have some experience with this top handle saw that can help shed some light?
I removed the limiter caps , so it can be adjusted properly, the muffler is very restrictive, I also opened that up like a sardine can , cut baffles out , and opened carb air intake opening , it’s a totally different saw now , did it do this all the sudden, or over time ?

Attachments

• IMG_1892.jpeg
    IMG_1892.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1893.jpeg
    IMG_1893.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1894.jpeg
    IMG_1894.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1895.jpeg
    IMG_1895.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I removed the limiter caps , so it can be adjusted properly, the muffler is very restrictive, I also opened that up like a sardine can , cut baffles out , and opened carb air intake opening , it’s a totally different saw now , did it do this all the sudden, or over time ?
Not my saw guy that brought it to me said it was running fine and then just wouldn't run right. I was hoping a carb rebuild would fix it but it didn't it seems to be starving for fuel.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not my saw guy that brought it to me said it was running fine and then just wouldn't run right. I was hoping a carb rebuild would fix it but it didn't it seems to be starving for fuel.
Check exhaust port and muffler not blocked by carbon build up , like I said earlier, those mufflers are terrible, check fuel filter and delivery lines , Pressure/vac test maybe 🤔

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check exhaust port and muffler not blocked by carbon build up , like I said earlier, those mufflers are terrible, check fuel filter and delivery lines , Pressure/vac test maybe 🤔
Muffler has already been opened will check the fuel lines and filter next. It seems like maybe an air leak either between the carb and boot or possibly the boot has a leak. I don't have the tools to pressure and vacuum test.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Muffler has already been opened will check the fuel lines and filter next. It seems like maybe an air leak either between the carb and boot or possibly the boot has a leak. I don't have the tools to pressure and vacuum test.
MityVac a great tool, and uses

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are the carb jet settings. if they are remotely close to stock settings it would be less likely to be an air leak. what if you turned the L out 1/4 turn?

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are the carb jet settings. if they are remotely close to stock settings it would be less likely to be an air leak. what if you turned the L out 1/4 turn?
I did play with the carb adjustments and did see in the book to start about 2-2.5 turns out the saw idles beautifully but I've tried turning both screws out the L still adjusts and changes the fuel mixture but the H I've tried anywhere from 1 turn all the way to 5 and no difference I can see the bottom open up to let air in but the moment it does the saw bogs.

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Won't idle correctly now only if the choke is on does it idle. Leading me to believe air leak somewhere I guess I will try to track down the intake boot and replace it and see what happens.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm I hadn't even thought of it being the coil I figured it would not work or get hot and stop working.
No. What you showed in the video is what happens to a coil on its way out about 99% of the time. I’d just about bet he farm that’s the issue. I’ve picked up a handful of saws real cheap that had bad coils.

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No. What you showed in the video is what happens to a coil on its way out about 99% of the time. I’d just about bet he farm that’s the issue. I’ve picked up a handful of saws real cheap that had bad coils.
I learn something new every day thank you I will try the coil first and report back.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
is it bogging down with too much fuel or starving out?

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i missed the coil post

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
is it bogging down with too much fuel or starvin

i missed the coil post
Acts kinda like it's starving hoping that beaglebriar is right and it's the coil of not I will just tear the whole thing down and rebuild it with a bunch of new parts.
This is the first top handle saw I've worked on and I plan for it to be the last.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have an old top handle that i got free and took apart ordered all the necessary parts to put it back together, ran out of summer to complete the project. that was two or three summers ago now. i guess summer just isnt long enough

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Won't idle correctly now only if the choke is on does it idle. Leading me to believe air leak somewhere I guess I will try to track down the intake boot and replace it and see what happens.
One other thing to check is that your impulse circuit is good. Bad gasket. Gasket out of place. Hose split or off the barb.