High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MS661 Love/Hate

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
10:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Good thread for sure. I'd rather have a real discussion any day than a sugar coated one.

I've ported 34 of these, and have not heard any real bad reports. One that I did for @treesmith fried, but it was an early version, and was not in his hands. I saved the jug and it's still going I reckon.

I bought me one to do some research on, but I'm not gonna put a chit load of time on it.

Thanks for the thread Tony.
It's still going well, as is the one I run too. His runs 25", mine 28 and 36, great power, no bog or hesitation. The same with both 261s you sent, one Mtron, one screwtron.

His 661 was early coil, IIRC lean/heat seize on exhaust and decomp was also leaking, it was running hp ultra 40/1 and good fuel.
Changed coil, decomp and piston and cleaned up cylinder all from yourself and it's running as it did and back to work.

We're contract arborists so they don't get big hours all day, every day but when they're used they're used commercially, could be 10 minutes or all day and the dogs get used.
His died ripping a pine tree in half

Thanks for your help, Randy, you're an exceptionally helpful and decent bloke as always...

...but can you please stop emailing pig rates, the shipping is just too much and the hourly rate really doesn't work this far away

Cheers brudda

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's still going well, as is the one I run too. His runs 25", mine 28 and 36, great power, no bog or hesitation. The same with both 261s you sent, one Mtron, one screwtron.

His 661 was early coil, IIRC lean/heat seize on exhaust and decomp was also leaking, it was running hp ultra 40/1 and good fuel.
Changed coil, decomp and piston and cleaned up cylinder all from yourself and it's running as it did and back to work.

We're contract arborists so they don't get big hours all day, every day but when they're used they're used commercially, could be 10 minutes or all day and the dogs get used.
His died ripping a pine tree in half

Thanks for your help, Randy, you're an exceptionally helpful and decent bloke as always...

...but can you please stop emailing pig rates, the shipping is just too much and the hourly rate really doesn't work this far away

Cheers brudda

You're confused. We don't rent pigs.

Stihlms

Chris
Local time
8:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seeing how it looks like you're new, that builder is no longer on any forums, been booted from them all.

Mostly for shoddy work, stealing parts, lying, etc ....
I heard he screwed somebody over really bad on a 064. I would only have tree monkey, sneller or mastermind do work for me anyways. Proven builders!

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I heard he screwed somebody over really bad on a 064. I would only have tree monkey, sneller or mastermind do work for me anyways. Proven builders!

There is a sub category in the chainsaw section for builders review. Honest reviews from sawbuilder customers. Several good builders all with a little different take on things and some specialize on one or more saws.

Stihlms

Chris
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a sub category in the chainsaw section for builders review. Honest reviews from sawbuilder customers. Several good builders all with a little different take on things and some specialize on one or more saws.
I will keep that in mind.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are many good builders on this site, including the ones you mentioned.

But that other guy did far more than just mess up an 064. Ruined dozens of saws and cheated dozens of people. There is something mentally defective with him, so avoid him.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well the main thing that's stopped me getting a 661 is the 660 I've got ported by the Master-pig-renter. 660's are a tough saw & perhaps a little boring stock but ported well there attitude changes and the become a formidable 24" Aussie setup. I've tried convincing myself to sell it as good ones like mine are making strong dollars on ebay but I just can't do it. I lack the strength to sell saws I like, I end up just buying more.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
7:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well the main thing that's stopped me getting a 661 is the 660 I've got ported by the Master-pig-renter. 660's are a tough saw & perhaps a little boring stock but ported well there attitude changes and the become a formidable 24" Aussie setup. I've tried convincing myself to sell it as good ones like mine are making strong dollars on ebay but I just can't do it. I lack the strength to sell saws I like, I end up just buying more.
I think some sawyers buy a 661 just to show others that they can afford to spend the bread to buy one. I've seen well-tuned 660s run dead even with 661's at GTGs. Close your eyes, keep your ears open, and you cannot tell which saw is which.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I own a couple of 066s and clone 660s, but if money were no object, I would own a ported 661. While the performance of a ported 660 is close, they are just primitive versions of a 661.

Mostly, I use the 066/660s for milling, or I would upgrade.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think some sawyers buy a 661 just to show others that they can afford to spend the bread to buy one. I've seen well-tuned 660s run dead even with 661's at GTGs. Close your eyes, keep your ears open, and you cannot tell which saw is which.

I've never ran a stock 660 that was near a stock 661 as far as power goes in good sized wood.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

And from what I've tried it takes a VERY well ported 660 to hang with just a muffler modded 661 in appropriate sized wood for a 90cc saw.. I think they feel and sound completely different as well.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about torque Ryan. 661 usually has higher RPMs, and 660s usually have more low end grunt. 2 ports vs. 4 ports.